“Tiger World is AMAZING!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 attractions in Rockwell
Type: Zoos
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Tiger World is an animal conservation and educational center dedicated to rescue, rehabilitation, and preservation of exotic animals. We are open to the public for educational guided tours and walkabout self-guided tours. Tiger World is a different kind of Zoo. Our tours personally guide visitors throughout the preserve learning about each animal. You see them in a natural setting and have the opportunity to observe them playing, swimming, eating, sleeping, and interacting with their handlers.
Faith, North Carolina, United States
“Tiger World is AMAZING!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is such a wonderful place. The animals are so well taken care of and so loved. You see it every time a member of the staff goes near one of them. If you are looking for a great way to spend a day....go to Tiger World!!!

Visited July 2012

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
“A reason to visit North Carolina”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

First let me say that I am obsessed with tigers. They are all over my walls, and I even have one on my back. I was recently in Charlotte with my best friend, and was looking for something to do while she was otherwise occupied one day. She found a brochure for Tiger World in our hotel, and I was so excited despite the 45 minute drive.

Tiger World would be worth a 10 hour drive to me. I will never forget my visit. Though not a typical zoo at all, and a little off the beaten path, Tiger World houses gorgeous cats as well as a few other types of animals - monkeys, etc. All of the animals are well taken care of. I could have easily spent all day here, especially watching the adorable Star and Storm, their baby lion and white tiger.

Go here!

Clearwater
19 attraction reviews
“A nice little zoo, give them a hand.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We really enjoyed this place. It is small but nicely intimate and you really can get close to all the animals. Despite it's title, there are many different animals here, Wolves, bears, lions, tortioses, snakes lots of animals. We are big zoo visitors and saw animals we had never seen before.

It is $12 per adult to get in but it feels as if you are contributing to caring for these animals, it is a good investment.

Charlotte, NC
63 attraction reviews
“They really are doing a great thing here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Tiger World is not a zoo, per se, but an animal sanctuary where neglected, abused and unwanted animals can go for rehabilitation. Yes some of the enclosures are small, but there are signs that they are working to build larger enclosures as money permits. This is not a huge state-run zoo like Ashboro. This is a non-profit organization that operates solely on admission and donations.

I have to admit that I was a bit leary when we pulled up. You drive through a neighborhood and at the end of the street is a sign directing you to parking, which is in a large field. Chain link fence, which I typically do not like in a zoo, was everywhere. Once you understand the mission of this facility though, you understand why they have fencing instead of large fancy enclosures like you would find at a zoo.

The animals appear to be well taken care of, and were the most active I have ever seen at a zoo. Absolutely beautiful large cats. Many of them had their story posted on their enclosure telling visitors how they wound up at the park. Some of the cats were close to being euthenized when Tiger World stepped in and nursed them back to health. The large monkey (that looks like a baboon) developed a bit of a crush on my 15 year old daughter, to the point where he howled for her when she walked away. That was a bit freaky, but apparently very normal for him.

All in all, if you go in expecting a large state funded zoo, you will be sorely disappointed. If you accept this place for what it is, it will leave you feeling good about the work that they are doing here. My daughter has been to zoos all over the country, and said that this was by far her favorite one that she has ever been to. And we didn't even do the cub encounter.

Charlotte, NC
“Awesome Place for people of all ages”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

This is by far one of the most memorable places I have been to. I suprised my boyfriend on the way home from Greensboro thinking that it would be a one or two hour experience. We ended up staying for close the 4 hours just walking around enjoying the animals. The staff there is so sweet. They were constantly walking around giving treats to the monkeys, or cleaning cages. On more than one occasion we would ask the young lady or man working questions about the animals background and they stopped and would carry on a conversation clearly fine with the interuption. It was awesome to see the love that this staff has towards the animals and the visitors. Very clean as well. It was hot when we went and there are chairs and picnic tables and benches all over. Trees providing shade as well. I do not have kids but seen many parents with kids who loved it. It's such a more intimate environment with the animals than a zoo so you are within a few feet of these exotic animals. Can these animals try to get through the fence and eat everyone well of course. Will it actually happen since they get fed daily, and shown love from visitors and staff probably not. I personally think it's worth taking the risk to go here. You take risks going to the mall, supermarket, or amusement park. This zoo does not get government funding so only the money from visitors and donations help improve the place. I wasn't happy with the area the bears had to roam but then again I could give money to improve it. I would say this is a must see if you are in the area.