“An unscheduled stay-over” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sleep Inn Roanoke Rapids

You added Sleep Inn Roanoke Rapids to your Saves list
Sleep Inn Roanoke Rapids
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   101 Hampton Boulevard, I-95 ex. 173 & US 158, Roanoke Rapids, NC 27870   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Roanoke Rapids
Halifax, Massachusetts
“An unscheduled stay-over”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

While driving north from Florida we hit unbelievable storms in South Carolina making our planned arrival in Virginia way later than expected. We finally decided to stop for the night in Roanoke Rapids and needed to find a decent hotel. We picked the Sleep Inn from one of the roadside travel magazines and used the coupon for a very good discounted price! The room was good, bed was comfortable and service at the front desk and in the breakfast room was good. Our only concern was the condition of the pool area. It was very dark and looked nothing like what was shown on the hotel website. In fact, I have attached a photo of the pool area as it was when we were there. The water was actually very clear but the atmosphere was extremely dreary! It appeared as thought they were replacing walls but left them in an unfinished state and the lighting was terrible!

Room Tip: Our room was in a good location - don't know about any of the others.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago and at that time it was a little outdated. We found the standard "Sleep Inn" furniture, low profile beds, compressed wood grain modular nightstands, etc... This was a last minute reservation and this hotel was the only one available, we probably would not have stayed if we had a choice. Well, we were pleasantly surprised. This Sleep Inn re-decorated their rooms and brought the hotel into the 21st century. Comfy, deep mattress beds with nice quality linens. Dark ebony wood furniture with a armoire instead of the standard chrome and compressed wood clothes rack all Sleep Inns previously used. The wall color and carpeting are well coordinated and are very soothing to the eye. Other conveniences are a microwave and fridge. The complimentary breakfast had waffles, muffins, apples, bagels, the usual. Very good coffee.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Ellicott City, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

For $100 a night I expected more. The rooms were nicely decorated but small. The bathrooms were tiny with showers but no tubs. I was constantly going to the desk for things that should be automatic. Towels for the pool, a list of tv channels, names of pizza places that deliver. Also, the day I was there, some one was throwing a birthday party in the breakfast area and pool. I heard them talk about the short drive so I know they were locals, not paying guests. Maybe an employe of the hotel got permission to throw her daughter's party there. Try enjoying the pool with a dozen squealing girls running wild. When someone opened the fire exit on the pool to let a handful of bored looking teenagers in I started to wonder if I should have stayed elsewhere. After all, why couldn't they walk thru the lobby?

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Jupiter, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Stopped here late at night on the way to Florida. The staff was very helpful and friendly, especially to a bleary-eyed, jet-lagged driver who had just arrived from London and driven from New York. The room was clean and smelt fresh, and lacked the musty smell that one finds in many motel rooms along the highway.
There was a large fridge in the room, so I could put our food and drinks for the road in it. There was a nice choice of foods at the continental breakfast, more generous than I've seen in other places. All in all, good value for $67 the night, Would stay here again without a doubt!

Room Tip: All room entrances are indoor, so this helps decrease any possible noise. Our room was on the north...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Planned on staying elsewhere but this was closer so though we'd take a chance. Great decision! Agree with previous review that it appears to have been rejuvinated and was very clean. Our room was very clean and I'm picky. Beds were surprisingly comfortable. Bathroom was small but adequate. Loved the light in the shower! Water was hot with good pressure. Hallways were well kept and well lit. Continental breakfast began at 6 AM with good coffee, waffle maker, toaster for english muffins, several fruit juices and choices of fruit, hard boiled eggs and sausage muffins. Cereal, muffins, etc. also there. Attendant in that room was wonderful. Very attentive and kept the place spotless. Even did "surgery" on the toaster as it wasn't working at first! Indoor heated pool is nice too. Front desk clerk was not outwardly friendly at first but after a quick conversation she was cheerful and even asked us if we "qualified" for a senior rate (we forgot to show our AARP card!) Saved us a few bucks. She gave us a choice of rooms as well. Always used to stay one exit farther north at a nice Best Western but this Sleep Inn will now be our stop over on our trips between grandchildren's homes!

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to ask desk clerk for choices. We often do and get the room we want!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

First can't believe some of the reviews in here. But I want to say that my family and I had a nice and pleasant stay. I have stayed at this property in the past when it first opened back in the 1990's. The hotel has been totally just about redone. The were finishing remodeling the first floor rooms. Everything in the rooms have been totally redone. But the flat screen tv that is now in the rooms was a 32 inch wide screen. The room 2 double beds, micro wave and micro fridge in the room always a plus. The staff when I was there was very nice and helpful. The beds were very comfortable. The only 2 things that I could find wrong was that the sink is too high for little kids. Which I had to lift up my girls when they brushed their teeth. The other was a burned out light bulb over the sink. The person at the front desk offered to move me to another room since the maintenance staff wasn't due back until Monday. No big deal about that. Adequate tv channels. The breakfast room was very nice and had several choices. I have stayed at many hotels for many years and I would definitely recommend this one. I am a choice privileges member and have stayed at several of choice hotels and this one has been nicely redone. Despite some of the reviews I had a pleasant experience with the staff and that's very important to me.,

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
York, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Perspective comes from a former hotel room inspector and regular traveler.

I have stayed in Sleep Inns before so I know what to expect. Relatively few amenities but what they make up for in extras they generally make up for in service and cleanliness. Someone flipped this hotel on it's head.

The lobby and rooms were recently renovated with modern design and fabrics. We were staying on points and upgraded to a 2 double bed suite. 2 bathrooms and a living area seperate from the bedroom. The suite also had a fridge and microwave and the now standard small LCD TVs.

This is where the niceties end. The front desk person didn't recognize our status, that we were staying on points, or that they kindly upgraded our room. She also wasn't wearing a name tag and barely looked up for a half smile as we left for our room. The check out person also wasn't wearing a name tag.

The room had fingerprints EVERYWHERE from a poor housekeeping job. The beds were clean and the sinks and showers , though clearly updated just enough to meet the renovation requirements, were fairly clean. Spots of mold on screwheads and around the aging shower door were very noticable. In the one bathroom the toilet was leaking from it's base, causing any clothes left on the floor to soak up toilet water. Yummy. This was something we didn't notice until check out.

Looking passed the room you notice even more. The carpets were replaced and the walls were painted in the hallway yet the door frames weren't. Chipped, broken, and gross. They are still undergoing a renovation but will that ever be fixed? Doubtful.

Every surface in the lobby was dirty. Front doors, lobby windows, front desk. Hand written notes about pets on the counter, and a typed note about the renovation that looks like it was printed on dot matrix printer.

The icing on the cake was breakfast. I understand a Sleep Inn / Red Roof / Super 8 breakfast. Limited options. In and out.

But, really, no coffee at 7:30 or 8:30? Dirty (filthy!) cereal dispensers and milk handles. One clean table and the breakfast attendant walking around with seemingly nothing to do. Not even a greeting from her.

This hotel suffers from either poor management, poor ownership, or both. This is an aging hotel dressed up in very poorly fitting new clothing with a staff that simply doesn't care. This hotel isn't in line with other hotels in the brand or Choice Hotels as a whole but frankly you should find somewhere else to stay in this area. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Sleep Inn Roanoke Rapids? Share your experiences!