Possibly it was me- having looked at the website I was expecting a quirky, Indian themed hotel with lots of bright colours a la Bollywood. What I got was a rather dingy mish-mash of faded photos of maharajahs intermingled with pictures of English hunting scenes.
It didn't start off well either as my friend and I, both happily married and heterosexual, were shown to a double bedded room. The receptionist at first insisted that our booking, made through Laterooms.com, was for a double bedded room and that nothing else was available. (Having checked the reservation on my return home, we definitely asked for twin beds. Perhaps the information wasn't passed on?) Anyway, she did eventually give us two separate rooms at no additional cost which made us feel much more kindly disposed to the place. Well done, her.
My room was small but adequate. The bathroom was clean but the shower didn't work at all.
We ate in the bar and the meal was pretty mediocre. Breakfast, however, was a tour de force, with a wide range of freshly cooked dishes, including a number of fish choices as well as the usual English breakfast.
Would try to find somewhere else if I needed to be in the area but would pop in for breakfast if I could!
- Also Known As:
- The Elephant At Pangbourne Hotel
- The Elephant At Pangbourne Hotel Pangbourne
- The Elephant Hotel Pangbourne
- The Elephant Pangbourne
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Elephant offers its guests an experience of quirky luxury and a warm welcome, whether staying overnight, dining in the restaurant, or having a relaxed drink in the bar. All 22 bedrooms are individual and furnished with handcrafted furniture, rich ornamental rugs and opulent fabrics. The bar, known as Babar, has a bistro feel, serving simple but excellent British produce, while the restaurant offers beautifully cooked unpretentious food in elegant surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Venere so you can book your The Elephant at Pangbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.