“Watch out for the billing!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Velvet Cloak Inn

The Velvet Cloak Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Raleigh
The Velvet Cloak Inn
You added The Velvet Cloak Inn to your Saves list
1505 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC 27605   |
Ranked #53 of 80 Hotels in Raleigh
Vina del Mar, Chile
“Watch out for the billing!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at the Velvet Cloak for two weeks while apartment hunting in the area. The room was better than I expected, and plainly the hotel has seen better days. There was maid service once in two weeks and I had to fight with her to change the sheets and towels. The Continental breakfast was spotty; some days there was no juice, no instant oatmeal, no coffee cups. By the way, the coffee was by far the worst I ever tasted, I bought a jar of instant.

The staff was friendly and helpful and the swimming pool is a delight, very fresh water and clean. However, the billing was problematic. They charged a $200 deposit to my debit card and a $17 processing charge without ever asking my permission. I left two weeks ago, and I am still waiting for the deposit to be returned. And be advised, the tax for a week is $42 on top of the weekly charge, so the first week came to $583.43!!!

I would advise you to go over everything before you check in to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Room Tip: There are rooms where the internet is strong, just ask for one.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
VelvetCloakManagemen, Manager at The Velvet Cloak Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Thank you for your kind words about our friendly, helpful staff and our delightful, clean swimming pool! It is a one-of-a-kind pool in Raleigh. We also appreciate your feedback about our breakfast and coffee and are seeking improvements. And we agree with you, wishing that sales and occupancy taxes could be lower, but we must collect taxes in addition to the base rate. We offer a tremendous value and are glad to have helped you with this extended stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

I greatly enjoyed my experience here. I stayed here during the last school year as a student at NC State and loved it. Very nice facility and great service! Very close to Cameron Village and not too far from campus.

• Stayed September 2011
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Location is quite good with a great asian restaurant (David's Dumpling and Noodle Bar), pub, shopping center including Harris Teeter and Fresh Market all within walking distance. The rooms are ok - dated, but have everything you need, and bed pretty comfortable. The weekly rate for extended stays is good value. As said in the previous post, however, the internet is absolutely terrible, dropping out constantly and making it impossible to do work/study.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
VelvetCloakManagemen, Manager at The Velvet Cloak Inn, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for your compliments about our rooms --- comfortable beds, our good location --- walking distance to neighborhood bars, restaurants, and grocery stores, and our rates --- bargains for extended stays! We appreciate your feedback about the internet and have taken steps to correct it. It's wireless and available throughout the property, and you will see an improvement on your next visit!
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Recently transferred jobs from another state and had to make the move immediately. I work in Durham, RTP and noticed the place on Craig's List. The Hotel/Long term residence has everything I needed. Swimming pool, walking distance to just about everything and I'm just a short ride to work w/all major highways 10min. away...no regrets.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
La Habra, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I stayed at this lovely old historic hotel for an event I was in town for. I took a taxi on the way back to the hotel, & happen to leave my 2 jackets & a camera( in the pocket of one of them) in tha cab. When I discoverd what happen, I connected the cab driver & asked him to bring then back to the hotel & drop them off at the front desk. I asked if there was some way, if the hotel could ship them home to me, because my supershuttle was there to take me to the airport. And I there was no time to wait for the cab driver to get back. I left my info with them & hurried off.They were so friendly & helpful. I received an email the next day from the manager saying he shipped my belongs & left me a tracking number. I was very grateful for their help & kindness.What wonderful customer service! I received my package in a timely matter & everything work out! Thank you Velvet Cloak Inn !

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Poughkeepsie, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

If you are looking for cookie-cutter chain hotel, you will not understand the sense of regional charm and gracious service this hotel provides you. However, if you are an appreciative traveler who wants to experience the authenticity of Raleigh in more genteel days, you will enjoy what the Velvet Cloak offers in value and service. We have stayed here dozens of time during the past 10 years while visiting family, and it is clear that the new, enthusiastic owners are doing an amazing job of lovingly restoring this classic. If you want to get a sense of what hotel elegance meant in the Mad Men days in the Carolinas, you will find yourself savoring a chance to step back in time ... and then you'll come back to stay here again and again, as we have.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011 via mobile

I stayed here for four months for my final semester as a student at NC State. The staff was very friendly and eager to help. The location was awesome. It was so close to campus and Cameron Village and walking distance from restaurants and attractions on Hillsborough St. The rent was simple and easy. No utility bills, just one price and one payment each month. The gated and covered parking was a plus and the regular housekeeping was a big plus. Overall I really enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it for anyone seeking short term housing, especially students.

• Stayed December 2011

Been to The Velvet Cloak Inn? Share your experiences!