“Hotel under renovation - and it needs the work” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #42 of 80 Hotels in Raleigh
Miami Beach
“Hotel under renovation - and it needs the work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Full disclosure - I'm a loyal Starwood member, and I usually look for a Starwood property when traveling on business. This hotel was listed with our corporate travel agent, too, so I booked it without thinking twice. Unfortunately it wasn't the experience I was hoping for (or am used to).

First of all, the hotel should alert guests that it is under renovation. Under no circumstances should you be surprised upon check-in that some services and areas of the hotel are unavailable to you because of the work being done. I was very disappointed in particular that SPG members are not informed of the hotel status.

Second, the hotel description says that "self-parking is available." Technically this is correct. However, the reality is that self-parking is the ONLY option. Fortunately the garage is across the street from the hotel, but you have to go around the block for the driveway. And it costs $12 per night to self-park in a public garage - that's unnecessary.

Third - my list of complaints: my room was not ready when I arrived, the TV remote had to be replaced because it didn't work, and there was mold on the ceiling of the bathroom and the shower. The room and the remote was quickly addressed, which was great. But the rest of the issues did color my perception of the hotel and of the entire Sheraton brand.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
SheratonRaleighMgt, Director of Sales at Sheraton Raleigh Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
We appreciate your willingness to provide feedback and as a loyal SPG member, we apologize for any discomfort our current renovation may have caused during your recent stay. There is a notification that is sent to our guests when they book with Starwood, we apologize if that information was not available in your third party booking confirmation. We appreciate the feedback regarding parking - based on our city's downtown location, parking is limited and $12 is indeed lower than many cities you will travel to. Our hope is to always make the trip from the deck to check as easy as possible, our bell staff is ready to assist to make arrival as hassle-free as possible. Thank you again for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Raleigh Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Red Bank, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This is an example of an older unrefined Sheraton that is in acceptable condition. I don't have anything horribly negative to say. My room was large and clean The staff were all friendly. However, it is a tired facility. It's just old. Aesthetically, it's not particularly attractive. This hotel could stand to be totally gutted and redone, but wasn't dirty. I wouldn't have a problem staying again, but would not go out of my way to seek out this hotel. Generally, there appear to not be strong hotel options in the downtown area even though it's a state capital.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for feedback from your most recent stay. Our hotel is a staple in the downtown and having recently celebrated a 30th anniversary, we take pride in our legacy in downtown Raleigh. We do however recognize that updates are necessary when you have a high traffic destination hotel like the Sheraton Raleigh Hotel. We have made huge strides with room upgrades, and are currently renovation our meeting and public spaces. The renovations include new carpeting, furniture, and a brand new restaurant will be opening this July. We hope you will visit us again to see all that is "Brand New" in the state capitol at at our hotel.
Charleston, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I got a good deal on a one night stay in this hotel in downtown Raleigh through an opaque site. It was well worth the price I paid, but not worth the retail pricing. The hotel is clean and nice in the public spaces as well as the rooms. The beds are comfortable. The hotel shows its age in the bathrooms and other areas. The fixtures are old and you can see signs of age, like the ripped/worn fabric on the office chair in the room. The staff were hit and miss. Some were friendly and energetic, and others were not. During our stay, the fire alarm went off 3 times during the night with false alarms. It was not fun walking down 10 flights of stairs for false alarms. The hotel is currently undergoing some renovation. The restaurant is being transformed into a new restaurant. Overall, it was a decent experience for what I paid (minus the fire alarms).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Spencer B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Raleigh Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
I would like to personally thank you for the wonderful score you bestowed upon us on the Sheraton Tripadvisor site. As we live in a world of social media and what people say online means more and more on day to day bases. We appreciative when our customers grade us on great customer service score. Again thank you for choosing the Sheraton Raleigh hotel on your recent visit.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

I've been staying here for over a month, and everything about my stays has been average at best. The staff at the desk and in the lounge are very friendly but the front desk staff don't remember me from day to day or week to week. It's been over 6 weeks and I check in with one of three people every Monday. I just checked in today after a long terrible day at work only to face the following issues: 11pm Raleigh has nearly nothing in the way of food at that hour & a room service salad with 2 chicken breasts (literally lettuce and chicken nothing else) somehow costs $32. I made that mistake last week. The wireless in my room on the 11th floor is so slow that it's unusable. There was a long black hair literally in the middle of the comforter when I entered the room. There was no green choice hang tag in the room, etc.

All of these things happen at hotels. No big deal. However, a good hotel deals with it much more courteously. When I mentioned the salad at the front desk they said that the price sounded ridiculous and they would work on it. 5 minutes later I got a call to the room with a "quote" for my salad: $28. Seriously? So I went down to the desk to get a take out menu for something nearby. The manager there was clearly concerned so he offered to make me the salad for $22 instead BUT he said "It'll be at least an hour since you're not paying full price so you'd have to wait until all other orders are filled" REALLY??? That's not how you try to be nice, that's a slap in the face. It's not that I don't have $32, it's just the principle of paying an astronomical price for the simplest item possible.

The Internet is obviously something that they need a tech guy for. It happens I understand, just part of this perfect storm.

Cleaning ladies miss things, however this hotel is notorious for being poorly cleaned (just read some of the other reviews).

The green choice tag is again just an unfortunate part of the perfect storm.

For me it all boils down to how poorly the staff handled adversity. I'm here every week, I've spent thousands of dollars here. Comp the damn salad. Or don't but just say you can't and move on. Don't keep trying with feeble attempts to lower the price. I was insulted. I'll be staying somewhere else going forward so their loss I suppose

• Stayed June 2013
Spencer B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Raleigh Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
First let me thank you for choosing the Sheraton Raleigh during your length of stay.
Our guest feedback is important to us as often times it may pinpoint an area of needed focus and attention.

I am upset to learn that we have missed our opportunity to impress you while we had a chance to do so, especially with the situations you mentioned with the front desk and with room service. Our goal is to provide our guests with a memorable and enjoyable experience from start to finish and we are truly sorry that we did not carry out this promise. We will use your concerns as a training method to improve our customer service provided to our guest. We grateful that you did enjoy the club lounge because this area is one or more area being address during our renovations process.

Again thank you for your feedback and choosing the Sheraton Raleigh Hotel,
Lexington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The room: found empty soda bottle under bed; non-hotel washcloth hanging in the shower, hair in the phone, trash in the toilet upon arrival; AC doesn't seem to work very well; dusting isn't a priority. Staff were nice enough although I am not sure they know their jobs well (Marcus, the bellhop, was awesome). The hotel was the only disappointment this wknd!

Room Tip: Consider the Marriott perhaps
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Raleigh hotel on your last visit. We have pass on the great compliments to Marcus (The Bellman) that you have mention in your recent feedback.

We are truly disappointed that we missed our opportunity to impress you while we had a chance to do so, especially with the housekeeping concerns you mentioned. Our goal is to provide our guests with a memorable and enjoyable experience from start to finish and we are truly sorry that we did not carry out this promise.
We take all feedback very seriously either positive or negative to ensure we are providing flawless service to our guest.

Again thank you for your feedback and choosing the Sheraton Raleigh hotel.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton while attending the Ironman Triathlon event. The hotel is undergoing renovations and so the hotel is probably up to the normal standards. Having said that, if Sheraton can't deliver service and accommodations that are in line with "their" standards, then they should close the hotel during the renovation period.

The sound of the train's whistle at night can be very loud in the rooms overlooking the plaza, the sound seemed to echo against the buildings.

The restaurant was closed during this period so breakfast was served in a ballroom, self-serve style. That part wasn't bad, just odd. The bad part was that they served oatmeal, some fruit, bagels and coffee. No cereal, milk, juice, yogurt, nothing hot, and nothing with any protein in it for the triathlon people. We ended up eating breakfast next door at the Marriott.

The room we stayed in on the 14th floor was tired; the bathroom sink was cracked and leaked on the floor. The housekeeping service was sparse and we had to ask for new towels, shampoo, soap, etc. after they had cleaned the room.

The rear entrance of the hotel is on a small plaza with a few good restaurants and outside dining, so the hotel location was a plus.

Definitely go to "Big Ed's City Market Restaurant" for breakfast, it's within walking distance.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the plaza can be noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your most recent stay at The Sheraton Raleigh Hotel. We are undergoing renovations until late July with our restaurant being closed. We offer light breakfast and a light reception for the inconvenience for the restaurant being closed.

We are upset to learn that we have missed our opportunity to impress you while we had a chance to do so, especially with the housekeeping issues and bathroom issues. Our goal is to provide our guests with a memorable and enjoyable experience from start to finish and we are truly sorry that we did not carry out this promise. We are addressing these issues during our renovations.

Again thank you for your feedback and choosing The Sheraton Raleigh Hotel,
Brentwood, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

They are renovating the hotel top to bottom. Kind of a partial make over on the room. More of a face lift, but they cut corners on the windows that leak, old commode, etc. the restaurant and bar are closed. Work out stuff is in the pool room. Might be decent when they are done, but I would stay away until then. There is a new marriott next door that is a much stronger choice.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Spencer B, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Raleigh Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your most recent stay. Our guest feedback is important to us as often times it may pinpoint any area needed for focus and attention.

Our renovation that you mention is scheduled to be completed early July. We are truly eager for completion of the new restaurant Jimmy’s V osteria & bar and the front desk moving to the second floor. We do understand that the inconvenience the renovation may have cause but we are increasing our level service to our guest. Again thank you for your feedback and thank for choosing The Sheraton Raleigh hotel.

Been to Sheraton Raleigh Hotel? Share your experiences!