“Great location and staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #40 of 80 hotels in Raleigh
San Francisco, California
“Great location and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I recently stayed one night for business and have to give kudos to the Sheraton staff. From the front desk to room service and most of all, to Joe at the front door, the staff were incredibly friendly and went out of their way to ensure I was well cared for. That kind of customer service is all to rare these days, and much appreciated. The room itself was clean, comfortable, and well priced, and the location is super convenient to downtown Raleigh.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Christine E, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Raleigh Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear sftvlr, Thank you so much for your kind remarks regarding our bellman Joe, as well as our hotel staff for their participation in making your stay a memorable experience. We assure you that we will be commending our staff and sharing this review with our General Manager. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you again for sharing your comments and welcome you back to the Sheraton Raleigh in the near future.

307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here for five days during the Hopscotch Music Festival, a rather hectic time that includes a bunch of musicians and rock fans being in the hotel, along with the debutante ball that was also happening in the hotel. Needless to say, staff was pretty maxed. Despite that, the hotel employees were gracious and helpful almost universally, and they did a good job of keeping the hotel clean despite the party crowd and a huge rainstorm that flooded the lobby.

I thought the quality of the room was good for the price I paid ($109/night). The bed was great, similar quality to some of the more expensive Starwood hotels. I was a bit surprised by the lack of an in-room safe as I had a bunch of expensive audio equipment with me, but it seems NC is a more trusting place than where I live.

I did not sample the room service food. The bar is well-stocked, affordably priced and has very friendly and (later on in the night) patient people working there.

Needless to say, if you are doing business in Raleigh, it is very difficult to beat this location. Close to the courthouse, the theaters, city hall, and most importantly, in walking distance to Second Empire, one of the finest restaurants in the southeast. There are a number of other lively, very good restaurants and bars in walking distance as well.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear jlb3, Thank you for taking a moment to recognize our many local attractions and hotel spaces. We are happy to hear that your stay was enjoyable during the Hopscotch Music Festival as it is a very exciting event here in downtown Raleigh and for our property. We appreciate your choice in our hotel during this busy occasion and look forward to connecting with you again on your next trip to Raleigh.
Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I just planned a conference at the Sheraton Raleigh and I have to say the customer service was excellent! From the planning team, banquet managers, AV staff and everyone in the building - they were an absolute delight to work with! Extremely helpful and understanding during the planning part of the program. And then on-site, the hotel staff got in early, stayed late, spotted out open seats, moved the lines along and just made sure the group was happy and most of all they made sure the food and rooms were set-up to perfection!

I look forward to working with them again in the future!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Christine E, Service Culture Trainer at Sheraton Raleigh Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear kerri C, Thank you for sharing your experience and we are pleased our staff could accommodate all your program needs. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Sheraton Raleigh for your future business/pleasure stay in the City of Oaks!
Huntsville, AL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a couple of days for a convention. Here's my thoughts from the stay:
1. Good customer service.
2. Good combo bar/restaurant. I ate there twice and it was good.
3. Good wifi service both in the room and the meeting rooms.
4. Average value. It was pretty expensive compared to the competition.
5. Very disappointed that they didn't have a shuttle from the airport.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear sputnik54, Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us. We are pleased that overall you were satisfied with your stay. If in the future you are visiting our community for business or pleasure, we hope you will choose to stay with us again.
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I was not particularly pleased with the level of service that the Sheraton offered to myself, my family and my friends in regards to the rooms. To say that this was "Murphy's Law" is a complete understatement and does not provide the level of responsibility that the Sheraton should take regarding the commitment to customer service that a hotel chain (especially as large as the Sheraton) should have. Although, you indicated that these things "rarely" happen, I was not the only unhappy patron the weekend of the 20th, but I can only speak to my own problems.

I have a laundry list of issues that happened, starting on the Thursday (10/18) when my grandmother (89 years old) and aunt (68 years old) who had booked a room ~8 months in advance were told that their accommodations were unavailable and that one of them would have to sleep on a cot or a sofa bed. My cousin and I were informed that a guest who chooses to stay cannot be removed from a room despite somebody else having a reservation (which, in my opinion, the guest that is occupying their room should have been moved to a different room to allow for the reservation). Numerous individuals did not receive their welcome letter (despite me complaining multiple times), additional individuals did not have their hospitality bags delivered to their rooms (even though we were going to have to pay $4 a bag to have them delivered, this charge was ultimately waived), my cousins golf clubs were lost (and then found after he left), numerous guests rooms were not ready by 3 pm. In fact, many guests had to get ready in another room and this caused my family to be late for pictures because they were still waiting on rooms. For example, my brother's room was not ready until 5:30 pm and our wedding started at 6 pm, this is unacceptable. One of my biggest headaches, was that I specifically requested that my bridal suite be ready by 1 pm. When a group is paying over $7,000 for a weekend at your hotel, I would imagine the hotel should accommodate this request for a bride (if check-out is at noon, then turning a room over in an hour should not be an issue). In fact, this room was not ready until 3:30 pm which even in itself was 30 minutes after the guaranteed check-in time. Because of this, my bridal party and I had to rush to get ready and was late for my own pictures with my groom at 4 PM because of the hotel's incompetence.

This is just a handful of the issues that we had with the Sheraton on our wedding weekend. There were other problems, including accommodations with requests like (rooms next to each other, due to children in the party) that were only accommodated after my friends or family had to get angry.

I know that about 5 years ago, my sister-in-law used the Sheraton for her wedding patrons, and the service was great, what happened? I have definitely informed friends that I know have events coming up about the problems I had, and have told them how unhappy I was. Not only was the hotel's incompetence and disorganized style disruptive to my friends and family's travel, it interrupted my own time as the time that I should have spent relaxing and getting ready, I spent pacing in the lobby of your hotel, very angry with no attention or help from the front desk staff. The staff did not even take the initiative to let me know what was happening, as I had to go up to the front desk repeatedly to ask for a status update. Additionally, when we did get our suite, as we left the elevators, we noticed that the housekeeping staff were standing in the hallways chitchatting instead of doing their jobs. Now, I do understand enjoying your work and talking with coworkers, etc, however if all of the rooms are backed up, it would behoove them to get a move on and clean the rooms to get the patrons in faster.

Please feel free to forward my comments on to whomever needs to see them. But I do not accept that this was Murphy's Law or a rare circumstance. The hotel was overbooked (despite my guests having reserved rooms between 1 and 8 months in advance), individuals were disorganized, and quality service was not provided. This was purely a staffing and hotel issue and I will be providing these comments on written review boards online as well so other brides are aware of the issues.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SheratonRaleighMgt, Manager at Sheraton Raleigh Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Shasha5847,

Thank you for taking the time to personally speak to our General Manager when he called you to discuss the series of unfortunate events that took place on your wedding weekend. We hope that through your conversation with our General Manager it became clear how deeply sorry we are for the issues you and your guests encountered during your stay. We understand that the service levels you expected and deserve were not what you experienced and we assure you that we will use your detailed feedback to help improve the service we provide for all our future brides and wedding parties.

We hope to have the opportunity to earn back your trust in the future.

Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed at this Sheraton for a conference last week, and was pleasantly surprised by the accomodations, and even more impressed with the staff. Everyone was so friendly and helpful - from the moment I walked in, until the moment I left! The hotel is downtown, and on my first evening, it seemed like sirens were blaring every few minutes. I thought I was going to be awake all night, but didn't hear them overnight at all. The bed and pillows are very comfortable, and the Starbucks coffee in the room is so much better than the in room coffee at other hotels (for what it's worth, the in room coffee is MUCH better than the hotel restaurant coffee!). The room was very clean, and I loved the shower head in the shower - great water pressure, great shower.

I took advantage of the fitness center while there, and while not particularly spacious - it's a narrow space (just a few feet wider than the machines themselves) - the equipment seems newer, and everything worked well. I found a supply of complimentary earbuds, along with towels and refrigerated bottles of water in the fitness area, which was nice. On my last day, I splurged for the breakfast buffet at the restaurant, which was "so-so," but then my server surprised me with not one, but two coupons for $5 off my meal! So even that turned out to be a great experience. I really enjoyed my stay here on business, and would stay here again in a heartbeat.

My only negative experience was being packed up and eager to hit the road, and discovering at the parking deck gatehouse, that they don't take credit cards! Really?? In downtown Raleigh?? Even the smallest cities I've been to, the parking decks have machines you can slide your card into. Who carries cash or checks these days? So, I had to back up, re-park the car in a full garage, and return to the Sheraton - where the happy and friendly staff member who helped me made the annoying situation not quite so annoying. She put the charge on my room bill, ran it again to include that fee. So - word to the wise - ask about this before you check out (or have cash on hand) to save yourself the hassle!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Christine E, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Raleigh Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear bloominb, We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to let us know you appreciate our associates and hotel amenities. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your departure. It can be frustrating when you are delayed unexpectedly. We are happy to hear that your connection with our guest service agent made the issue less stressful. We welcome you back to our community for your future stay in downtown Raleigh.
Columbus, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Hotel was ok nothing spectacular. Convenient to the Raleigh Convention Center. Pricey for what you get which is a room only. Hotel needs reburbishing since it is an older hotel. Check in had long long lines and had to wait serveral times to get on the elevators since they were backed up. I would stay away if wasn't for the short walk to the convention center. The hotel also charged $12.00 a day for parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor. You will have to use your key if you are on the 5th or higher floor.