“Average for a Sheraton, but it would be appalling for a Marriott or Hilton...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Raleigh Hotel

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #41 of 80 Hotels in Raleigh
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Average for a Sheraton, but it would be appalling for a Marriott or Hilton...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Yeah, I'm not much of a Sheraton fan, and only stay in Sheraton properties when forced to do so by corporate travel or by conference organizer selection.

Upon entry to the lobby, I was greeted by a simply overwhelming "air freshener" smell that gave me a headache within a minute. Checkin was quick and friendly, but my room? I walked in, heard horrendous street noise and quickly realized why: The floor-to-ceiling window overlooking the street (maybe it used to be a sliding door to a since-removed balcony???) had a half-inch gap all the way down. Nothing I could do to "close" it, so to speak, so I called the front desk and said I'd be back down to change rooms. I took a photo to "prove" the issue, and they seemed surprised. I've attached that photo to this review.

They assigned me to a room two floors higher (on 12) which was better. The window/former sliding door assembly looked newer, and there was no gap. But those who mention the fire truck/ambulance noise are right-on. It's a very loud place.

Cleanliness was my main concern; that, and the toilet plunger left in the hallway for the better part of 12 hours...

This hotel is rundown and in desperate need of updating. The bed was OK, but the carpet was worn, the chair was dirty, and the toilet seat was cracked and peeling. I didn't find enough attention to detail in this hotel - the bedskirt was filthy, the shower was full of mold, and paint was peeling from the bathroom ceiling.

On the plus side: there is PLENTY of hot water. So hot, in fact that one need only turn on the hot tap a tiny bit while turning on the cold all the way!

Conference center was nice - looks recently updated. The on-site restaurant/bar was OK, but never very busy.

The only bad thing about the location is the scores of homeless people and beggars who hang out nearby. Kind of frightening, as they are very aggressive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Clarksburg, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed on the 12th floor and still had trouble sleeping with all of the noise in the street below. A large fire station is only two blocks away, so constant sirens echo up to our room during the night. However, we enjoyed the pool and hot tub which were always clean and quiet. The exercise room has all new equipment with several treadmills, elipticals, and bikes. They also have some free weights. All of the treadmills are equipped with tv players, but you have to go to the front desk to request ear buds, as the ones I brought from home did not fit in the machines. The hotel restaurant had pitiful food. We only had one dinner meal there during our stay, because it took over an hour to get our food. My salmon salad was very dry and consisted of only lettuce and salmon. There is a decent restaurant down the street called Carolina Cafe (near the Capitol building), but beware that many of the restaurants in the area close after two or three in the afternoon.

Also, our air conditioner had to be turned all the way to 65 degrees, and it still felt like it was about 72 in the room.

Room Tip: Check your air conditioning when you first get in the room to make sure it works.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
SheratonRaleighMgt, Manager at Sheraton Raleigh Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Funkreporter,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your most recent trip to Raleigh. As with any downtown hotel also comes some downtown noises. We are very proud of our indoor pool and fitnes center, so glad you were able to enjoy both and sounds like our new equipment met all your expectations.

Thank you for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Raleigh.
Geneva, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My company has a regular contract with this property for rooms. Upon arrival at RDU Airport last Friday, we were told that the hotel was oversold and that we were to stay at an airport area hotel. Unfortunately, I had rented a car at the airport and did not know about this and made the long trip downtown. The front desk staff told me "you're not supposed to be here", and seemed irritated that I had shown up. And they were not accommodative in the least as to alternative lodging. Our discussions the following day with the hotel manager revealed just how little she regards the contract that they have with my company, and I believe that she will only too readily break the contract again. Not only was she not apologetic about the great inconvenience that she caused us but had no intention of making amends until prompted.
This hotel is noisy and nothing special to begin with. What distinguishes it is that the staff are just plain nasty.

Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This hotel probably used to be much nicer, but is now somewhat run down and needs a face lift.
It has all that a proper conference hotel has, but is simply old. The food that they served at our event was awful, breakfasts in the hotel restaurant were disappointing.
Rooms are ok, central location.

Dear Xaxun,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us during your most recent trip to Raleigh. This is a very exciting time for our hotel. We are about to start an amazing renovation in early 2013 so please allow us to welcome you back the next time you return to our great city. We know you will be blown away by what you see.

Thanks for the review.
Smyrna, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed there in October for two nights and found the atmosphere a bit college-like. A lot of hectic hotel huests, don't know if it was because of a conference or something similar. Staff at the desk was standard friendly and efficient, compared to the type of hotel a bit under the average Iw ould say. Rooms (7th floor) were very roomy, with all amenties one comes to expect and fully satisfactory I must add. Very clean without 'foreign' smell, nice bath and the beds were also above average comfortable!
The breakfast buffet was a bit disappointing however, I would recommend to take the breakfast somewhere else!

Dear berobrinus,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Raleigh. We are glad you liked our rooms and all the amenities you encountered while here. We do get some amazing comments on our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Raleigh.
Fairfax VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Sheraton is usually a reliable brand. Not this one. The rooms are fine (nothing special, but nothing wrong). But that's about it.
* At the busy evening checkin time, they had only one person at the front desk, despite a long line. The person was not particularly pleasant or helpful.
* Parking in the garage (which costs $12/day) requires a pass, which the checkin clerk did not offer - I had to go ask for one. And even then, she only gave me 3 days worth, even though I was staying for 5 days - said I had to come back and ask for more days. Why!?!?!
* Slow elevators.

But my #1 complaint is the internet service. I can tolerate poor reliability, low speed, or high prices (pick one). But this hotel offers the unique combination of all three. If you're going to charge as much for a day of service as I pay for a month of service at home (well, close), then you should provide reliable high speed service. More often than not, I couldn't connect at all, or if I got connected, it would drop the connection. I asked at the front desk and they admitted that it was a problem because the hotel was full. If they *know* a full hotel stresses the bandwidth, why not put in a reasonable amount of bandwidth? Would they only have enough electric power for half the hotel?

Room Tip: Stay at the Marriott next door.
Manchester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I'm spending four nights at this downtown business-class hotel in Raleigh. The rooms are comfortable and clean, and the lobby and conference facilities are good. Basically what you'd expect from a city Sheraton. The location is great - across the street from the convention center, a block from the performing arts center, a few blocks from historic state buildings, and a few blocks from the state history museum and museum of natural history. There seem to be several good restaurants around, though the downtown area is very quiet -- not many people or cars around, at night or even at rush hour. Clearly this is one of those downtown areas that is recovering from long neglect and the flight to the suburbs. It's a nice recovery, though, at least in the five-block area I've explored.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Raleigh Hotel? Share your experiences!