“Needs an update” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 83 Hotels in Raleigh
San Francisco, California
“Needs an update”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed here for 3 days to attend a wedding. Location was very central. Our room was ok but you can see that it needed some updating, and maybe a more thorough cleaning. Wi-fi was not free in the room but the concierge will tell you that you are welcome to sit at the 2nd floor to get at the free wi-fi. The ice machine did not work the entire time we were there (ice is a necessity for me especially in Raleigh in August!) Parking (across the street) is cheap on the weekends but jumps up on the weekdays. Small pool that seemed to be crowded all the time (a video gaming convention was being hosted next door at the convention center). I see this place as mostly a business/convention hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Super comfy beds, great location. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2011
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

My friend and I stayed here for the Hopscotch Music Festival, which was taking place literally right outside the hotel's doors, so the convenience couldn't be beat. I also got a good package deal on airfare + room through a travel service, so I'm giving four stars because what we got for the price (around 100 dollars for one night) in addition to the location was worth it. However, if I was going to pay more I'd say there's some room for improvement.

On the plus side, the room had a nice downtown view, the bed was super comfy, we had no problem getting an extra rollaway bed or adding a second person to the room last minute (I'd originally booked a room with one king bed for me thinking I was going solo) and all the staff we met or spoke to by phone were gracious and accommodating. The room was clean, with nice modern furniture, and seemed to have been recently renovated. Room service was available and the food was decent.

The things that could be improved are as follows. First and foremost, the hotel sundries shop is closed all weekend, which is a pain because the area is primarily courthouses, office blocks and apartments and I did not see another drugstore near by. There also didn't seem to be any place to get grab n' go food - you either eat room service or go in the sit-down restaurant. During the week there are fast food options within a block and one small cafe across the street, but on weekends these are all closed (I presume due to the lack of office workers to eat in them). Since I just wanted a quick no-fuss breakfast like toast, I was fortunate the cafe across the street decided to stay open for Hopscotch Saturday, or I would have had literally no place to get quick food for blocks. I was also dismayed that a hotel the quality of the Sheraton had no in-room safe (i.e. no safe space to stash our purses and extra credit cards and cash while we boogied at Hopscotch, without going through the giant hassle of storing them at the front desk) and that the bathroom shower area had old fixtures and moldy walls, in contrast to the rest of the room including the toilet and sink which looked new. The fee for using Internet is also a turn-off, although we fortunately didn't have to use it as we had Blackberries and Iphones of our own.

Overall I might consider staying again if the price was cheap and I needed to be in this area for courthouse business or a downtown event, but some more amenities like a safe in the room, and a minibar, and a better bathroom, would be welcome.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Oak Lawn, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

We were very pleased with this hotel. It was very clean and very close to the Convention Center where we were attending a weekend event. We especially liked the Club Floor which included access to the Club Lounge on the 17th Floor. The amenities were great from the Continental Breakfast to the Evening Horsd'ourves. We especially want to commend the personnel (Mary) who took care of eveything in the Club Lounge. Her hospitality and kindness was outstanding. Her attention to detail was superb. As we anticipated Hurricane Irene to hit the area we spent more time in the Club Lounge than expected. Mary was so sweet and took care of the guests.

NW Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a conference in August. I was very pleased by the check in process. It was very quick and accurate for me and my staff.

To get to the room, you must use your room key card in the elevator, adding additional security. This was great.

The room was nice and large, plenty of room to move about. Good cable tv selection. Nice large work space. Plenty of lighting, and comfortable chairs.

The bed was extremely comfortable, with plenty of pillows.

The bathroom was nice and large, plenty of counter space.

The hotel participates in a nice rewarding eco rewards system. If you choose to bypass housekeeping for the day, you will get a $5 off coupon to use in any of the hotel food establishments. I took advantage of this.

The conference space was crowded. It would have been nice to see more space to move around.

The bar and cafe were both excellent. Food was prepared very well.

Despite experiencing the effect of the earthquake that hit Virginia (and was felt in my 12th floor hotel room), I would be more than happy to stay here again!

Room Tip: request a high floor room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Spartanburg, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

The Sheraton Raleigh Hotel provided excellent service for our daughter's wedding. Every planned detail was executed, and it was a wonderful event. The entire hotel staff needs to be commended for the professional, friendly service provided -- setting up the ballroom, cocktail reception, and dinner. We highly recommend the Sheraton Raleigh Hotel for special events.

Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed for two nights at this hotel while we attended a family member's wedding. We received a special room rate for this reason. However, as is usually the case with downtown accommodations, you have to pay for every little amenity despite the inflated room rate...parking, Internet access, etc. Our room (two double beds) was quite small for us (2 adults, one six year old, and one nine month old). We inquired about upgrading to an executive suite, but the rate was 4x higher than what we were paying (no lie)!!! So we decided to tough it out. The beds were pretty comfortable at least, and the staff (front desk and housekeeping) was kind. We ate breakfast at the restaurant omn the second floor of the hotel (the name escapes me). As you might expect, the prices were exorbitant, and the service was suboptimal.

In summary, I would give this hotel an average rating. It could have been better, but it certainly could have been much worse!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Raleigh Hotel? Share your experiences!