“Extraordinarily discourteous and unprofessional” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 20%
Ranked #18 of 80 hotels in Raleigh
Breaux Bridge, Louisiana
“Extraordinarily discourteous and unprofessional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

The Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown is a low-rise suburban hotel that will never be confused with one of the great hotels that made the Hilton reputation, but most things about it are fine. The lobby is pleasant and our room was comfortable. The hotel's only full-service restaurant is a sports bar, but this did not matter to us because we were not very hungry. Our plan was just to have drinks and appetizers in the executive lounge before retiring for the evening.

In general, the hotel staff also seemed nice. For instance, we encountered several housekeeping and maintenance employees in the halls and they always greeted us cheerfully. And the reception desk employee who checked us out in the morning also seemed quite friendly. Unfortunately, however, just after checking in we had a series of dealings with one reception desk employee who was so unpleasant and unprofessional that this is the main thing we will remember about our stay at this hotel:

-- The reception desk employee who checked us in was a bit stiff. She was not discourteous, but nothing in her tone or manner made us feel welcome. She did tell us, however, that our room was on the executive level and that we would have access to the lounge: "you can have appetizers there from 5:30 until 8 p.m. and a cash bar untill 10."

-- So we were surprised when we got to our floor a couple of minutes later to see a sign saying that the lounge would be closed that evening (and every evening from December 14 until January 2). My wife called the front desk to ask about this and was told that the lounge would indeed be open: "Give them a few minutes, it's not 5:30 yet."

-- But the lounge stayed locked and dark, so I went down to the lobby to make another inquiry. This time I spoke to a different employee, who told me the lounge was indeed closed for the evening. This employee had been sitting right next to her colleague who had checked us in a few minutes earlier, and she appeared to have been listening attentively during the detailed presentation about lounge access and hours. Anyway, now she said that because the lounge was closed, they were instead giving executive level guests coupons for use in the sports bar.

-- She then gave me a coupon, which I saw was for exactly one appetizer and one non-alcoholic drink. I asked if I could have another coupon for my wife, but the employee responded that the hotel's policy was one coupon per room. Although the idea that two people should share one appetizer and one Coke struck me as a bit goofy -- it would have been less embarrassing for all concerned if they had offered no compensation at all -- I was not inclined to pursue the matter any further. But when I got back to our room and showed the coupon to my wife she was sure there must have been a misunderstanding, so when we passed through the lobby on our way to the sports bar she raised the issue again with the front desk.

-- The employee who had given me the coupon clearly wasn't happy to see us again. She replied rather sternly that it's only one coupon per room, because "these appetizers are quite large." So my wife asked if we could at least have one non-alcoholic drink apiece, but the answer was still no. Then, in what turned out to be a disastrously unsuccessful effort to smooth things over, I said I was sorry we had raised the issue repeatedly, explaining that we had done so only because this policy made so little sense that we had just been trying to make sure it was really a hotel policy and not just a mistake.

-- The employee's voice then lost whatever thin veneer of civility it had previously had. "It really is our policy, but because you feel so PASSIONATELY about it, I'll give you another coupon. After all, you're a DIAMOND member, and we wouldn't want you to feel we weren't taking CARE of you." She practically spat the words at me, and she said "Diamond member" as though it was some particularly contemptible form of reptile. (I had not mentioned my Hilton Honors Diamond status at any stage of the conversation.)

This series of encounters left us feeling that the hotel employees we dealt with -- as well as whoever made the policies that were the subject of our discussion -- cared a lot more about their own convenience than about customer service. Why on earth should the hotel lounge be closed every evening (and many mornings) for a 20 day period? Most of us don't get 20-day Christmas/New Year vacations, and this seems particularly odd for an enterprise whose whole reason for being should be the comfort and convenience of its customers. And if they were going to close the lounge, they should have done whatever was necessary to make sure the reception employee who checked us in understood the situation and did not assure us -- repeatedly, emphatically, and with lots of specific details -- that the lounge would indeed be open. As for the coupon lady, she doesn't belong in a customer-contact position. (I concede that we were somewhat argumentative, but we were never loud, vulgar, or otherwise discourteous, and we didn't deserve her hostility and sarcasm. And even if we had deserved it, an important part of being a customer-service employee is remaining calm and courteous even when the customers are not.)

Our waiter in the sports bar was attentive and polite, as were all the other hotel employees we encountered during our brief stay. But we did have one other odd experience: the next morning, when the lounge finally did open, we went there for the self-service buffet breakfast. During the whole time we were there the hotel employee who was attending the lounge sat on a couch watching a series of television shows. The television was set at an uncomfortably high volume, but what was even more uncomfortable was the employee's ongoing commentary, which consisted mainly of guffawing at the top of her lungs every few seconds. In fairness to this employee, she did ask us shortly before we left whether we needed anything else, and she seemed quite friendly. But this is yet another way in which the hotel should train its employees in professionalism.)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MidtownRaleigh, Manager at Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
We want to sincerely apologzize for the issues you encountered during your stay with us as this is very unusual for our staff members. We want to thank you for taking the time to write this survey as we will use this to better train our staff. We hope you have a happy new year!

344 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Pros:

- Clean rooms
- Decent gym
- Bahama Breeze next door

Cons:
- Terrible service
- Long ride to airport

Got stuck at the airport for over an hour due to incompetent service. First, supposedly because of a power outage it took a half hour for the hotel to even answer the phone, apparently they don't have a backup generator. When they did answer the phone, it took over a half hour for the shuttle to arrive at the airport, even though when I called back I was told 5 minutes, then 15 minutes. I was in the process of booking another hotel when it finally arrived. I then found out why it took so long to arrive: the hotel is approximately 25-30 minutes away from the airport! Why they have an airport shuttle is beyond me, as I certainly would not have booked it if I realized the shuttle ride was that long.

The shuttle driver was very friendly and apologetic. He also arranged a taxi for the next day to go back to the airport ($50 cab ride by the way). The front desk supervisor was clueless and offered me a soda for all the trouble. Luckily, there is a Bahama Breeze restaurant next door that has good food.

I went to the concierge lounge to get a snack before bed. The concierge very rudely told me they didn't have any snacks and appeared annoyed that I had even bothered her with a question.

On the plus side, the room was clean and modern, the gym was of appropriate size for the hotel. Overall, the hotel property itself is not bad, but the service (with the exception of the shuttle driver) is absolutely terrible. That combined with the fact that it's such a long distance from the airport will definitely prevent me from ever staying here again.

Room Tip: Don't pick this hotel if you're looking for an airport hotel!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered. We hope you have a wonderful new year and hope you continue to use the Hilton family.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The rooms were good, so was the bedding. The property was well maintained and very clean. The staff was very good. The restaurant a bit less so. The indoor pool was too cold for an excited 5 year old to jump in. The HVAC fan can not be turned off which I found to be distracting in the night.

Next trip, I would look at this property again as well as the Hyatt Place down the street and Hampton.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MidtownRaleigh, Manager at Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for writing a review, we hope to see you again soon!
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed for 1 night in the Hilton and loved this property. We had a room on the 1st floor because we had a pet with us. The hotel is very pet friendly. The room was very large and clean with all of the amenities you would expect from Hilton. The hotel has great parking and is easy to get to and it was easy to access downtown Raleigh. We ate at the Skybox Grill and Bar. The food was wonderful. I will definitely use this hotel when in Raleigh again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MidtownRaleigh, Manager at Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Hilton North Raleigh Midtown and writing your kind review. We hope to see you again soon!
Ocean City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Awesome stay at this Hilton property. Our sports team had a block of rooms at this hotel for a weekend tournament. The rooms were big and clean. Lots of space for families and players to gather. The sports bar was packed with TV's, and the food was great! They didnt mind splitting up checks for players/families. One manager,I think his name was TJ was everywhere all weekend and went out of his way to make sure everyones needs were met. Very seldom you find a property that blows your socks off in all areas, but this one did!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MidtownRaleigh, Manager at Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Everyone at the HIlton would like to thank you for your kind review. We hope your travels bring you back soon.
Alpharetta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Placed in room 339 above ballroom/meeting rooms. birthday party for a 70 yr old got louder and louder. I have bass lines and beats subconciously burned into my memory. They let the party go on until 1:20 AM! Jesus. I complained twice. Double beds were ridiculously uncomfortable. I insisted on comping the room and changing rooms for the next night. Both happened. Breakfast was great. It all worked out in the end. I was there with a traveling sports team. The hotel split up the block of people which I think is dumbe because a team will have peer pressure to do the right thing if grouped togerther. Make sure your room is high up and not over the salons.

Room Tip: High up and not over rented out rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about noise. Your comments will help us to correct these issues going forward for our future guests. While we are happy that we resolved the issue here, we again sincerely apologize for the inconveniences. We hope you will consider staying with us the next time you are in the area.
Anchorage, AK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I spent a week at this hotel for a conference and stayed an extra couple of days. The front desk staff could not have been more accomodating, especially Amanda, who responded immediately to a concern I had regarding the slow draining tub.

The hotel is well suited for a conference with an entire wing devoted to that enterprise. In fact, while our group took up five of the rooms, the hotel accomodated two smaller conferences while we were there and after my conference was over (Thursday morning) the space was immediately taken over by two more conferences. These folks know how to do conferences!

The workout room is spacious, with three elipticals and three treadmills, plus other machines and even some free weights. During non-conference hours, the workout room was usually occupied by multiple people. The only improvement I have would be for there to be some ventilation/fans in the room - the "glow" meter came on pretty early and thankfully they had a lot of towels to use.

The large pool is across from the workout room and is also very nice.

The dining room was open for breakfast and one could either order from the menu or do the buffet. Ordering from the menu helped me to not overeat. There is a very busy Starbucks in the lobby. Lunch and dinner were available at the Sky Box bistro, which had a somewhat limited menu. We did find other options for dining, namely the Bahama Breeze next door - easy walking distance.

My room was spacious and very quiet, even though I was on the second floor. Bed and pillows were very comfortable.

Shopping: There is a CVS pharmacy across the street which has most every incidental one might need. About three blocks up Wake Forest Dr (away from the freeway) are more shops and at the bottom of the hill is the North Hills Shopping Center, which has every imaginable shop and store, including many high-end retailers as well as a Target.

There is an airport shuttle that leaves the hotel on the hour. When one makes the RDU airport pickup shuttle reservation with the hotel, one must let them know at which terminal their flight will be arriving. The shuttle arrives at the airport about 20-25 minutes after the hour

I did not get to explore much of Raleigh, so can't say anything about the town, but the hotel was splendid. I would recommend this for a leisure stay or a conference.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MidtownRaleigh, Manager at Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
We want to thank you so much for your detailed review. This is very helpful when choosing a hotel. We hope to see you again soon!

Been to Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown? Share your experiences!