“Not an airport hotel! Terrible service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 20%
Ranked #17 of 80 Hotels in Raleigh
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not an airport hotel! Terrible service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Pros:

- Clean rooms
- Decent gym
- Bahama Breeze next door

Cons:
- Terrible service
- Long ride to airport

Got stuck at the airport for over an hour due to incompetent service. First, supposedly because of a power outage it took a half hour for the hotel to even answer the phone, apparently they don't have a backup generator. When they did answer the phone, it took over a half hour for the shuttle to arrive at the airport, even though when I called back I was told 5 minutes, then 15 minutes. I was in the process of booking another hotel when it finally arrived. I then found out why it took so long to arrive: the hotel is approximately 25-30 minutes away from the airport! Why they have an airport shuttle is beyond me, as I certainly would not have booked it if I realized the shuttle ride was that long.

The shuttle driver was very friendly and apologetic. He also arranged a taxi for the next day to go back to the airport ($50 cab ride by the way). The front desk supervisor was clueless and offered me a soda for all the trouble. Luckily, there is a Bahama Breeze restaurant next door that has good food.

I went to the concierge lounge to get a snack before bed. The concierge very rudely told me they didn't have any snacks and appeared annoyed that I had even bothered her with a question.

On the plus side, the room was clean and modern, the gym was of appropriate size for the hotel. Overall, the hotel property itself is not bad, but the service (with the exception of the shuttle driver) is absolutely terrible. That combined with the fact that it's such a long distance from the airport will definitely prevent me from ever staying here again.

Room Tip: Don't pick this hotel if you're looking for an airport hotel!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
MidtownRaleigh, Manager at Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for your review and sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered. We hope you have a wonderful new year and hope you continue to use the Hilton family.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The rooms were good, so was the bedding. The property was well maintained and very clean. The staff was very good. The restaurant a bit less so. The indoor pool was too cold for an excited 5 year old to jump in. The HVAC fan can not be turned off which I found to be distracting in the night.

Next trip, I would look at this property again as well as the Hyatt Place down the street and Hampton.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MidtownRaleigh, Manager at Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for writing a review, we hope to see you again soon!
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed for 1 night in the Hilton and loved this property. We had a room on the 1st floor because we had a pet with us. The hotel is very pet friendly. The room was very large and clean with all of the amenities you would expect from Hilton. The hotel has great parking and is easy to get to and it was easy to access downtown Raleigh. We ate at the Skybox Grill and Bar. The food was wonderful. I will definitely use this hotel when in Raleigh again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MidtownRaleigh, Manager at Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Hilton North Raleigh Midtown and writing your kind review. We hope to see you again soon!
Ocean City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Awesome stay at this Hilton property. Our sports team had a block of rooms at this hotel for a weekend tournament. The rooms were big and clean. Lots of space for families and players to gather. The sports bar was packed with TV's, and the food was great! They didnt mind splitting up checks for players/families. One manager,I think his name was TJ was everywhere all weekend and went out of his way to make sure everyones needs were met. Very seldom you find a property that blows your socks off in all areas, but this one did!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MidtownRaleigh, Manager at Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Everyone at the HIlton would like to thank you for your kind review. We hope your travels bring you back soon.
Alpharetta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Placed in room 339 above ballroom/meeting rooms. birthday party for a 70 yr old got louder and louder. I have bass lines and beats subconciously burned into my memory. They let the party go on until 1:20 AM! Jesus. I complained twice. Double beds were ridiculously uncomfortable. I insisted on comping the room and changing rooms for the next night. Both happened. Breakfast was great. It all worked out in the end. I was there with a traveling sports team. The hotel split up the block of people which I think is dumbe because a team will have peer pressure to do the right thing if grouped togerther. Make sure your room is high up and not over the salons.

Room Tip: High up and not over rented out rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about noise. Your comments will help us to correct these issues going forward for our future guests. While we are happy that we resolved the issue here, we again sincerely apologize for the inconveniences. We hope you will consider staying with us the next time you are in the area.
Anchorage, AK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I spent a week at this hotel for a conference and stayed an extra couple of days. The front desk staff could not have been more accomodating, especially Amanda, who responded immediately to a concern I had regarding the slow draining tub.

The hotel is well suited for a conference with an entire wing devoted to that enterprise. In fact, while our group took up five of the rooms, the hotel accomodated two smaller conferences while we were there and after my conference was over (Thursday morning) the space was immediately taken over by two more conferences. These folks know how to do conferences!

The workout room is spacious, with three elipticals and three treadmills, plus other machines and even some free weights. During non-conference hours, the workout room was usually occupied by multiple people. The only improvement I have would be for there to be some ventilation/fans in the room - the "glow" meter came on pretty early and thankfully they had a lot of towels to use.

The large pool is across from the workout room and is also very nice.

The dining room was open for breakfast and one could either order from the menu or do the buffet. Ordering from the menu helped me to not overeat. There is a very busy Starbucks in the lobby. Lunch and dinner were available at the Sky Box bistro, which had a somewhat limited menu. We did find other options for dining, namely the Bahama Breeze next door - easy walking distance.

My room was spacious and very quiet, even though I was on the second floor. Bed and pillows were very comfortable.

Shopping: There is a CVS pharmacy across the street which has most every incidental one might need. About three blocks up Wake Forest Dr (away from the freeway) are more shops and at the bottom of the hill is the North Hills Shopping Center, which has every imaginable shop and store, including many high-end retailers as well as a Target.

There is an airport shuttle that leaves the hotel on the hour. When one makes the RDU airport pickup shuttle reservation with the hotel, one must let them know at which terminal their flight will be arriving. The shuttle arrives at the airport about 20-25 minutes after the hour

I did not get to explore much of Raleigh, so can't say anything about the town, but the hotel was splendid. I would recommend this for a leisure stay or a conference.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MidtownRaleigh, Manager at Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
We want to thank you so much for your detailed review. This is very helpful when choosing a hotel. We hope to see you again soon!
Palm City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Great location, great service, and cozy rooms. The restaurant (Skybox Grill) was good and I was here for business. Had a meeting room the next morning and it was good and had no problems. I'd stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your great comments, we are so happy you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon!

Been to Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown? Share your experiences!