“Southern Comfort” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Virginia
“Southern Comfort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My family and I came to the hotel for a band competition for the weekend. We were very comfortable during our stay with what seems to have been a recent renovation. The hotel was quiet, very clean, and the service was great. The staff knew the area well and were able to help us navigate the city and suggest areas of interest. The
breakfast bar the next day offered something for everyone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I was booked for one night, when I reached the reception, I was told that the hotel is overbooked and I have to go over to a cheaper hotel, however Marriott will foot the bill. I graciously accepted. It would have been an ok experience except that I was stuck with a $100 charge to my credit card which I had to pay. Dr. FMK.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ocean View, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

My sister and I spent 4 days here attending a family party. The look is updated, stylish, welcoming and comfortable. Every service person was friendly and responsive. Housekeeping was flexible and polished. We especially liked the food service - no bland boring free breakfast. Instead a lovely cafe with a Starbucks bar, wine and nice food. Also a snack room with great choices of wine, even a split of champagne - and lots of other beverages plus a full range of snacks. AND coffee service all morning plus hot and cold water all day. Very accommodating! And, all the restaurants and shops of crabtree mall are a short walk away - and you can work it all off on a nearby walking path. We would have preferred not to have the 2 large screen TV's in the otherwise very comfortable lobby/library. But all in all, thank you for a great stay at a great price!

• Stayed December 2012
Rock Hill, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Overall this is a nice hotel to stay at but it can be a little hard to find the first time you stay there. It is very close to the Crabtree Mall. My only complaint is, twice they have billed me and the company for the room. The company I was hired to work for made the reservations and covered all charges with their corporate credit card. Twice I was asked for my card when I checked in and twice both the company and I paid for the room - double dipping.

Room Tip: They have a restaurant that serves delicious salmon in the evening after 5:00P. I get it every time...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Centreville, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The area is peppered with Marriott choices but I picked the Courtyard because of the overhaul Marriott seems to be doing to this chain. This Courtyard did not disappoint. Walking in you're welcomed to a renovated lobby area with all that Courtyard is known for and the staff at the front desk were very friendly and welcoming.

The hotel is right next to the highway but the traffic noise is minimal, you'll hear it if you listen for it. Otherwise you'll forget about it, and our room was on the very end closest to the highway. We were very pleased with the comfort of the room, the clean bed and linens and the overall appearance of the hotel.

Our stay was just for two nights, and after the first night we came back to our room and the bed was made, but that's the best compliment I can give. I try to always use the same towels/wash cloths throughout my stay and even after hanging my towel by the sign that said "help us reduce water use by hanging your towels," we were given fresh stuff. This isn't such a big deal really, but why ask guests to help with the environment if the staff is not going to comply with the requests?

We were also not restocked on our coffee. The pot was cleaned, but we were not given more coffee or another cup for it. So when we decided to have a cup of decaf that evening, I gave my wife the coffee cup and I used a glass. This also brought to my attention that the clean glass placed in our room was in an open seal with some sort of black marks all over it. It didn't look very clean at all, and even if it was clean, the unsealed wrapper was enough to prevent me from using it.

These things may sound petty, and on some level I agree...they are. But when you stay at a Marriott you come to expect a certain level of minimum standards, such as replenishing coffee supplies and ensuring water glasses are clean and sealed.

Otherwise, this hotel lived up to our expectations and we slept great, loved the location, and I would not hesitate to stay here again. I'd just be sure to point out the service disappointments to the management/front desk. I didn't this time b/c the amount of time we were actually in our room didn't make it worth the effort. I would just hope that others staying here did not experience sub-par minimum standards from a Marriott facility.

Lastly, the check-in/out process was a snap. in fact, we got our check-out papers under our door and forgot to go to the front desk to officially check-out. Really a nice place...I just get grumpy without coffee.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Lexington, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Not sure what the problem was for the previous traveler but this hotel was excellent. First of all, $84 for a Courtyard is a great price and especially for the location of the hotel. It has been updated recently and everything is very fresh and modern. The lady who checked us in was nice and it took no time to get everything taken care of. The room was great. The best part was the shower. The previous person must have stayed in a room that has yet to be renovated but the shower was AWESOME! It was huge and big enough for a family of 4 to get in. The water pressure was great. One of the best hotel showers I've seen! The bed was very comfortable, more than enough pillows. They have flat screens but not HD. Kind of pointless. Long story short, stay here! One negative, the breakfast cost $10 a person. Definitely not worth it with all of the restaurants close by. But they did have an in house restaurant and bar!

Room Tip: Get a higher floor! Very quiet!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sanford, North Carolina, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Newly renovated lobby is nice. However front desk staff was less than helpful. We stayed there due to the free shuttle they supposedly had, however when we checked in they wouldn't let us reserve it because we didn't reserve it in advance. We called less than 24 hrs earlier to see if they had a shuttle and they never said anything about advanced reservations for it. The worst part is it was already going less than 5 min from where we wanted to go with only 2 people and the hotel wouldn't let us share. Just plain stupid.

The room was just okay. The bathroom fixtures were dated and worn. We also asked for extra pillows and towels and never received them.

Definitely not Marriott quality!

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Raleigh Crabtree? Share your experiences!