“"high-end casual" might be a better label” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Midtown Grille

Midtown Grille
4421 Six Forks RD, Raleigh, NC 27609 (Formerly Midtown)
919-782-9463
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Midtown Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #111 of 1,236 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Brasserie, Bistro
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Lassiter Mill Road
Transit: Bus stop is 40 yards from front of restaurant.
Description: Midtown is a sophisticated restaurant tucked away in The Lassiter at North Hills, at 4421-115 Six Forks Road in Raleigh. Chef Scott James’ menu, an elegant presentation of contemporary American food with international influences, utilizes the best local produce & N.C. seafood. The restaurant features a stylish dining area offering distinctive wine selections from around the globe.
South Pole
“"high-end casual" might be a better label”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

4 of 5 stars (very good, fine dining)

(see explanation of ratings below)

Wines appear to be marked up anywhere from 120 to 67% from retail. Caymus Conundrum marked up 120%; Phelps Insignia just 67%. That's a $150 bottle right next door at Total Wine, so pay the $20 corkage fee and save $80 rather than buying it at the restaurant.

No entrées priced less than twenty bucks, so this qualifies as fine dining (although "high-end casual" might be a better label).

Ordered the grilled romaine and was disappointed to see it hacked into bits (didn't they use to serve it whole?).

Olive tapenade on crostini was way too salty.

Still, Chef Scott James rarely disappoints and this remains a fave with us.

Allow 60-80 minutes (no dessert).

About $45-$55 per person (no dessert).

About my ratings:

Only fine dining establishments can garner five stars. Until TripAdvisor realizes that a fast food joint cannot possibly be ranked equally with a $100 per person place, I need to draw the line somewhere. If we were only talking about the quality and presentation of the food, it would be a different story. But, as we know, TripAdvisor's rankings take into account the entire dining experience.

Therefore, I divide restaurants into three categories (and I wish TripAdvisor would do the same):

1) fast food and "fast-casual" (no table service).

2) casual dining (table service, average entrée price: $10-$20).

3) fine dining (linen napkins, no plastic cups, no TV's in dining room, average entrée priced at more than $20).

Fine dining can earn a max of five stars. Casual dining can earn a max of four stars. Fast food can earn a max of three stars.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Relaxing in Raleigh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Upscale and Relaxed atmosphere. Excellent service from a fine friendly staff. Interesting menu choices. Thoroughly enjoyable evening

Visited May 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
“Amazing food and wine.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My new favorite restaurant. Amazing preparations of top quality ingredients creating flavors and textures that will give your palate something new to talk about. A relaxed no rush dining experience allowing you time to enjoy the evening. Smaller, but not too small portions allow you to eat till you are satisfied and still have a little room for the amazing deserts. On the more expensive side but reasonable compared to other top quality restaurants.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Excellent Business Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I had dinner at Midtown in late January 2013 while in town for business. It was easily the best food I ate all week (in a week where we ate well).

My dining partner and I walked in to Midtown at 7:30 on a night during restaurant week without a reservation. They found us a table quickly and were extremely friendly throughout the meal.

I had the espresso and chili rubbed New York strip steak with asparagus fries. I chose this meal because it sounded so different from anything I’d tried before. I loved every bit of it and I truly hope to do business in the area again so I can dine here and repeat this meal. I had no idea asparagus could be this good, and the steak was simply fantastic with a unique flavor I’ve never found anywhere else.

My dining partner had the scallops entrée and raved about it as well. For dessert, both of us ordered a granny smith cheesecake with pretzel crust. It was fantastic as well.

We ate here at the end of a long week, so I was too tired to indulge in any cocktails – though the drinks at the tables around us looked really good. I did have several glasses of sweet tea and it was excellent – as you’d expect in the South.

I highly recommend this as a dinner option.

The link for TripAdvisor appears to be going to an old site. This site shows the current menu: http://themidtowngrille.com

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Clayton, North Carolina
“Have time to enjoy your dining experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This menu is a treat. I love the wedge, the scallop entree, the duck entree and their desserts are always outstanding, most recently the apple pie cheesecake with a vanilla bean cheesecake, apple crumb topping drizzled with caramel.

Visited October 2012