“Very good dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
42nd St Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 1,212 restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: West Street
Transit: RLine stop one block away
costabissara
“Very good dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was there with colleagues and customer. The food is very good, a lot of choice, excellent service....oyster incredible. Very very good.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

78% Recommend
Florence, South Carolina
“After all of these years, it doesn't disappoint.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

After a long dry spell of not visiting 42nd St, my husband and I decided to return on a visit to Raleigh recently. It has been a favorite seafood spot over the years when in the triangle.

We were seated immediately for our 8pm reservations, and the service was top notch from the time we sat until the time we left. We received good recommendations from our waiter, Jackson, on both food and drinks. It is difficult to say what we enjoyed the most out of all of the things we ate. The buffalo shrimp were absolutely perfect: tender and hot enough to make it interesting, but not overly hot. I had been craving a baked oyster sampler for literally a few years, and I finally got it. I enjoyed all three types: pimiento cheese, Rockefeller, and 42st style. The 42st style was my favorite, and I ended up ordering a plate of that type later. My husband enjoyed the blackened ahi bites as well as the fried soft shell crabs. I tasted both, and the soft shell crab was out of this world tasty. It says a lot that they don't even serve them with the typical remoulade sauce, because you don't even need it.

Of the three drinks I tried, I would have to say that the blood orange mojito and the Jones St Sangria were my favorites. It is really nice to see this restaurant not only offer North Carolina seafood items, but also local beer and wine.

Considering the variety of food and drink that we ordered, we considered the final bill to be a bargain. After having recently visited some high-end steak restaurants, this was a deal in comparison.

42nd Street holds a special place in my heart, and I'm so glad to have come away from our most recent visit even more ready to return than before. I love the history there, as well as the retro atmosphere. The only disappointment for me, personally, is the general trend that patrons don't dress up to eat here like they used to, but that doesn't only apply here. I just remember it being a dressier occasion in the not-too-distant past, and it seems disrespectful and inappropriate for so many people to show up in baseball hats, t-shirts, and flip flops, as if it were an all-you-can-eat buffet in Myrtle Beach. 42nd street couldn't be farther from that scenario, and that's one of the reasons I love it so.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Social Justice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I've eaten here 4-5 times. Oysters are pretty good. Fish tends to be a little greasy, but do try the crab cakes. The problem I have with this place is that almost everyone cooking in the hot kitchen is Black or Latino and everyone serving is White! Raleigh is a wonderful place to live. It's truly the NEW South. This place obviously hasn't caught up with the times.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ryan T, Manager at 42nd St Oyster Bar & Seafood Grill, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
42nd St Oyster Bar follows a non-discriminatory policy in its hiring practices. We consider all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, gender, age, nationality, ethnic origin or sexual orientation.
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Must Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Always a must when visiting Raleigh; an institution for fine seafood and exceptional service. The menu changes every day offering the freshest sea food; there are some staples such as Norfolk scallops / shrimp and meat offerings. What is nice is that all of the sea food isn't fried. If you like oysters, you won't find fresher anywhere in Raleigh (remember not to eat oysters in a month that doesn't have a "R").

I have been patronizing the 42nd St Oyster Bar for many years. The service is always excellent; true professionals who have pleasant personalities and always eager to please the guest, no matter how large your party or group. Great atmosphere, great food and excellent service, you can't go wrong when you dine here.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great seafood here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We like to go here to get good seafood. I especially like their oyster stew. It's usually pretty busy, so you should plan to make reservations particularly on the weekends. Service is great. Highly recommend if you are looking for seafood in Raleigh, NC

• Visited March 2012