“Not what I expected” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Not what I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Being from Raleigh i wanted to go back while in town on vacation..
Overall I was disappointed..I loved the decor. Old country items hanging all around.. Service was good and coffee ok. I live in Miami now and used to very strong coffee.. Loved the crushed ice in the ice tea and water.. I had scrambled eggs, gritts with black eye gravy, patty sausage, and biscuits...the eggs were overcooked and cooked on to high a temp..I was dying to try the biscuits. But when I took the first bite the we're quite tough and chewy.. What a shame..the grits were quite runny.i like mine thick. The red eye gravy was perfect. The patty sausage was a hit. It was from nahunta. It's was perfect. They are located just west of goldsboro..I go there on my visits to see family and bring back 5 lbs with me to Miami..
I usually go to bojagles while in nc.. Biscuits are the best..

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Country Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Wonderful menu, great service and everything you would expect for a good country breakfast. Very reasonably priced.

Visited April 2012
Cary, North Carolina
“Generous Southern Cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

As a Yankee transplant, restaurants like Big Ed's are somewhat foreign to me. I love getting a plate of biscuits and cornbread with a squeeze bottle of molasses on the table. The cornbread is made with lard, which tastes wonderful.

The food is nothing fancy, but it is good and comes in generous portions. Although I've never tried to eat one, I have seen folks get pancakes that hang off of their dinner plates. You will certainly be full when you leave Big Ed's. Plus, as of a couple of years ago they finally take plastic so you don't need to bring cash.

Visited August 2012
Garner, North Carolina
“Eh. I Am Not In A Rush To Return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The food at Big Ed's was okay. Not better than IHop but a good bit more expensive. If you like mediocre food at a high price Big Ed's is the place for you.

Visited February 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great breakfast spot in downtown Raleigh.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

This place was very busy on a Saturday morning. We did not have to wait for a table as it is pretty spacious. Since it was busy, it took a while to get our food but that is too be expected in a busy restaurant. Service was great and the food is good at a fair price.

Visited August 2012