“my favorite coffee shop in raleigh” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #556 of 1,236 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
raleigh
“my favorite coffee shop in raleigh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

Coffee: 5/5 -- Top notch coffee and espresso. I've been to shops all over the country, some of which are pretty well-known amongst coffee shop enthusiasts and Third Place has some of the best coffee I've ever had, ANYWHERE. The employees are all trained how to manually time and pull shots -- the way it should be. This can cause a wait, however, when they are extra busy.

Pastries: 4/5 (or 5/5 if you like super healthy vegan type stuff) -- A bit inconsistent in their selection but the quality is always quite good. Other than a chocolate chip cookie, once, I have NEVER gotten a pastry from Third Place that wasn't fresh. I can't count the number of times I've been to other shops and gotten things that were so stale they could be used to bludgeon someone.

Food: 4/5 (or 5/5 if you're into all that healthy vegan stuff) -- Two words: BREAKFAST BURRITO. OMG it's just that good. And nutritious to boot! Lots of other stuff is really good too.

Parking: 2/5 -- Ok, gotta be honest, the parking kinda sucks. But that's more because of the location and the fact it's off Glenwood than anything else.

Atmosphere: 5/5 -- They have couches, tables, little cushioned booth things, and really good wifi that doesn't crap out every 10 minutes. I do a lot of computer work and have been consistently able to log in (and remain connected) to servers for remote administration. They also show local art which is cool. If you have young kids, they even have a little book shelf with some children's books and a couple toys next to the couches. I think that's pretty cool. The bathrooms are oddly marked with the gender designations near the floor. I can't count the number of times I've seen people have to ask which is which, or simply go into the wrong one (not that that's a huge problem, since they lock).

Staff: 3/5 -- Some are friendlier than others. Most are pretty nice, but If you're the type of person that needs to get a warm fuzzy from the person behind the cash register, you may be disappointed.

Prices: 4/5 -- Depending on what you want, Third Place can be somewhat expensive. The coffee is cheap (about $1) and get you one free refill. Additional refills are like $.65 or so -- which, considering the quality of coffee here, is incredible. The pastries prices are about on par with other places. The food can be a little more expensive, though. I think they even have a $4 peanut butter and jelly sammich. It's all organic and whatnot, but still. Since I mainly stick with coffee (or the exquisite breakfast burrito which defies monetary value in its extreme yumminess) I think the prices are good.

Cleanliness: 4/5 -- Some folks would say 3/5 but I'm taking into account that they are located in a pretty old building and I like to differentiate between "old" and "dirty". I've also seen them prepare food on may occasions and have never witnessed anything that would give me pause. Their health code ratings typically hover between 90 and 95.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Do you like to be "served" by surly, angst-ridden, goth college students in a funky, college-town shop? Then...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

Do you like to be "served" by surly, angst-ridden, goth college students in a funky, college-town shop? Then this is your place. Oh, you have to like burned coffee too...

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Small, good - but not my...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2008

Small, good - but not my fav. - Larry's Beans.

Raleigh, NC
“Nice coffee place. Good...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2007

Nice coffee place. Good atmosphere.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Couldn't be happier about the friendly service and good food and coffee! They gave me the wrong drink once, because...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

Couldn't be happier about the friendly service and good food and coffee! They gave me the wrong drink once, because they were out of what I asked for, and as an apology put a post-it with my name by the register for a free drink some other day. It's just a very personal place. I recommend the yogurt, fruit, and granola breakfast as the best thing on the menu.