“Eclectic and Romantic” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Eclectic and Romantic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have been going to Bloomsbury Bistro for years because it is such a lovely special occasion restaurant. It's quaint, quiet and the atmosphere transports you to another time and place. The menu changes frequently so you are always surprised with the different offerings. You won't find menu options like these anywhere else in Raleigh. We also use a coupon from the Citipass book so that helps make it more affordable.
My husband & I split a flatbread appetizer that included goat cheese, caramelized onions, smoked bacon and arugula that was a taste sensation!
I ordered the Brace of quail stuffed with Black Mission figs and Prosciutto served over wild rice "pancakes" with Maple mashed sweet potatoes, roasted asparagus and Black berry gastrique. I usually stick to fish entrees but decided to step over my comfort line and be daring. I was so glad I did!
My husband ordered the Ragoût of Black Angus beef brisket and grilled Portobello mushrooms tossed with fresh rosemary Pappardelle noodles, asparagus, hearty pancetta Bolognese sauce and aged Pecorino-Romano. This was one of the best beef dishes I have tasted in a long time. The noodles were very wide and tender, with a great balance of noodle/beef ratio.
We did not order dessert this time although we have ordered in the past and all of the offerings are equally delicious and decadent.
The wait staff is attentive without being over zealous.
Because the menu changes seasonally, it's a great place to try new and different foods on a regular basis. They never disappoint!

• Visited February 2013

South Pole
“Consistent, creative, ever-changing...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Chef John Toler never disappoints. For eighteen years, he has been the jewel in the crown of the Five Points area north of downtown Raleigh.

The menu changes about every four to six weeks.

Be sure to sign up for Toler's Table VIP Club. As a member, you can take advantage of two great offers:

1) buy $50 gift cards for $45, $100 cards for $85 and any multiples of $100 cards for only $80. Typically, these cards are only offered in December, but give Maître d'hôtel Charlie a call and see if he'll make an exception.

2) The Toler Tasting Menu. It's a special, limited time, three-course menu. You get to choose from almost all the dishes on the current menu for only $60 per couple. All other menu items not on the tasting menu are available for a small surcharge. Each person gets to enjoy a full-size appetizer and a full-size entrée of their choice. The crescendo is the Bistro's dessert sampler. The two of you will get to share small portions of four different desserts.

Our last dinner there cost us $73 for the food alone, and we did NOT have dessert, so you can see--- this is a great offer.

• Visited February 2013
Cary, North Carolina
“Excellent as always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We dined at Bloomsbury the weekend before Christmas, and, as always, it was wonderful. We arrived early, so we decided to order a glass of wine at the bar. The bartender was very personable and friendly. Our waiter wasn't quite as attentive or personable as those we've had in the past, but because we enjoy the restaurant so much, that wouldn't dissuade us from returning. We love it here because the menu is always different and we are able to try things we might not otherwise try and know it will always be delicious. Our choices tonight were excellent - fish and duck. The duck was a bit sweet and rich (molasses) for my taste, but very good flavor and the duck was tender and moist. Risotto was yummy as always - one of my favorite items here - always some different wonderful 'concoction' that you won't find anywhere else.
When we received our final bill, our wine bar tab was inadvertently left off (we had asked to have it transferred to our table). But when we pointed it out to the maitre'd, he told us not to worry about it. He appreciated our pointing out the error, but it was their error, not ours and we didn't need to worry about it. Class place! All in all, another wonderful, enjoyable meal at Bloomsbury. One of our favorite places to eat.

• Visited December 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“One of Raleigh's Best Restaurants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I have dined @ Bloomsbury Bistro on several occasions! The food was exceptional and the ambience met our expectations! The service was very good and the staff let you
know that they appreciated your presence and patronage.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City
“consistently delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I've been going to BB for years and try to hit it whenever I'm visiting Raleigh for one simple fact - the food there is consistently great - and creative. You won't find these dishes in other Raleigh restaurants. I also like that there is always a fish dish, as that's the only meat I eat. Most recently I had salmon in a delicious tomato/fish broth with asparagus and little pasta cubes. It's really hard to explain or describe without a menu in front of me but the chef here clearly knows what he's doing. In all the years Ive been I've only had one 'miss' aka a dish that I thought was bland. The menu is constantly changing so it's always a neat surprise to see what's on offer. The prices are high I suppose for Raleigh but certainly reasonable for the quality and amount of food you get. Try not to overdo the garlic/lemon/parsley butter that comes with the bread before your food arrives. I could easily eat the entire dish full. My only beef is the decor could use some modernizing and it's a bit too bright in there for fine dining.

• Visited December 2012