“DELICIOUS!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 1,235 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: South American
“DELICIOUS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Love their food. I go at least once a month (if not more). I usually order a bowl of the carne mechada (beef) with rice, black beans, platanos with guasaca sauce. I love it. The food is always fresh, unlike fast food restaurants. Check it out the next time you are in the Rex Hospital area. You won't regret it. Please don't confuse this with Mexican food. It's not. I only wish the place was a bit more quieter, sound proof. It echos since as it is warehouse style design and it makes it difficult to hear the employees.

• Visited June 2013

Holly Springs, North Carolina
“Arepas galore!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I had gotten a taste for arepas at a long gone Raleigh establishment and haven't found anywhere else that served them until my wife saw Guasaca on a trip to visit someone at Rex Hospital.

So, what is an arepa? You start with what my grandmother would have called a hoe cake (flat cornbread) which is opened (like a pita pocket) to allow it to be filled with meat, beans, veg and cheese. They have a wide assortment of classic arepa options as well as you can design your own. For those who want to go low carb you can choose to do a bowl.

The only challenge can be finding parking during busy times, but it is well worth the trip to Lake Boone Trail!

• Visited April 2013
Cary, North Carolina
“So glad I found this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

It's my new favorite restaurant. Delicious, clean, and fresh. Great value. Love the fresh ingredients and sauces.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Nice hidden gem that I hope isn't too hidden for its own good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Guasaca is located in the nicer commercial plaza off of Lake Boone Trail, near Rex Hospital. Since there are no big shopping locales that would drag people to that area, I worry about its location, but the food is pretty good.

I think the owners are Venezuelan, and that this is their take on serving Hispanic food without being like any of the Mexican joints that are close by. To sum it up, they serve two things, salads and arepas, which is like a thick corn johnnycake. It's cut open like a pita pocket, they stuffed with meat, cheese, all that good stuff.

The food itself tastes incredibly fresh, with great flavor. They have an avocado salsa called Guasaca (just like the restaurant's name) that is incredibly delicious with a side of chips. I'm so used to eating average Mexican food that this is refreshing and much preferred. Prices aren't bad either, provided that you order two arepas and bring one home. Again, I really like this place, so please go out and try it! You won't be disappointed.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Fresh food, new flavors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Have been to this place twice when go to that area for appointments. I wish they had one near Briar Creek or RTP so I could go more. The staff are so friendly and will walk you through the combinations if you need help. First time I went I got a bowl, but it's a lot of food. Second time I went I got an arepa which looks mind of small but with the toppings inside its really quite filling. I liked he different sauces, you won't find the typical salsa here. The cilantro one is my favorite, goes great on the food or for dipping chips. But if like a avacado you have to try the Guasaca. I really like that wih chips. Is such a fresh taste, that plus the arepa made a perfect size lunch. Definitely give it a try.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere