“Girls Night out” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Girls Night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

OYSTERS were amazing. However service was rather rude and slow. I had the oyster smaller platter and it was so good. Yep, I'd eat there again.

Visited June 2014

Savona, Italy
“better than what you usually get in airports”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Had the chance to have a quick light dinner before catching my flight, I have appreciated the service [timely and friendly] and the platter of dip fried oysters and calamari [the Captain platter].

Visited June 2014
Las Vegas NV
“Good restaurant in downtown Raleigh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I enjoyed the New England clam chowder when I was there. It was thick and very hot like soup should be. I also enjoyed the shrimp cocktail with nice large shrimp and cocktail sauce. After eating that I did not have the appetite for an entree so I had key lime pie for dessert. It was very good, tart like it should be and not articifially colored.

My one complaint is that it was way too cold in the place. Luckily I had brought a jacket in with me because I needed it. I mentioned it to our server a couple of times but the air kept blasting out of the vents. We were seated in the booth and the vents were pointed in our direction and blew into the wall and the cold air fell straight down to where we were sitting.

My companion had the 6 oysters, the cooked variety pack. He enjoyed them. I don't care for oysters so I have no idea how good they are.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Delightful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

The last time I was in this restaurant was over 15 years ago. I'm sorry it's taken me this long to return. My husband and I were looking for a local replacement for the seafood and night life we adore in KW. We found it in 42nd Street Oyster Bar and Seafood Restaurant. Parking was adequate either in the main lot or across the street. The atmosphere was fun and uplifting with various seating options. The staff appeared to be enjoying themselves adding to the celebratory atmosphere.

The menu suited us to a tee. We indulged in the oyster sampler with Oysters Rockefeller, 42nd st. Oysters, and Pimento Cheese oysters, all cooked perfectly. The next trip we'll go for the peck of steamed oysters they crack as you eat. The accompanying cole slaw was also tasty. The prices were reasonable for the all so fresh offerings.

They have live music starting @ 10 pm on Friday and Saturday nights. (Sure wish it started a little earlier). The band this past Saturday night was excellent. Dance floor space was limited but it didn't hamper most from moving with the music.

I'm headed back to KW for a week but will return knowing I can bring back those feelings whenever I feel the need by heading to 42nd Street.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Montgomery
“Dinner with umphh.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

A great restaurant's greatest challenge is to exceed its reputation and continue to be great. This is a venerable establishment that began with great expectations decades ago in community of exceeding expectation. State politicians, university professionals, and agribusiness men, including farmers, are demanding and they are effusive in their praise. A Montgomery, AL resident, the opportunities to dine here are very infrequent and filled with high expectations. Saturday, our expectations were again exceeded...with massive bowls of the "Cioppino".

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere