“Really Good Middle Eastern Fare” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #106 of 1,129 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Really Good Middle Eastern Fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We tried this place on a recent Saturday and were really impressed with the food. It looked as if they had a good crowd earlier so the tables were a bit unkempt, but that is about the only critique. The lamb/beef gyro and the chicken gyro were both meaty and filling, with great flavors including a mild cucumber sauce. We found this food to have much less garlic and overly strong flavors than some middle eastern places locally. Very good prices for the volume and quality too.

The owner was friendly and food was prepared well and quickly. We will be back!

• Visited May 2014

Augusta
“A nice Mediterranean meal at good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Weary of the usual places to eat while traveling, I opted to give this spot a go since I was in the mood for something different (and really craving falafel). I ended up with the vegetarian sampler platter, which had a good mix of the usual fare - hummus, baba ghannouj, pita bread, veggies, and some falafel. It was all quite good, although I didn't think the hummus was better than some quality hummus from the grocery store. The pita bread was very good, perhaps some of the best I have had. The meal was very affordable, and the staff very polite. I can't comment on service as I got my order to go, but I was pleased with it.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Asheville, NC
“Excellent healthy alternative in the Triangle Town Mall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

(This review is for the Baba Ghannouj in the food court of the Triangle Town Mall in North Raleigh.) Baba Ghannouj is a great healthy fast food alternative. The sample platter, which included a choice of 3 dishes plus warm pita bread, is excellent. The chickpea salad, hummus, and eggplant salad were fresh, tasty and well prepared. Vegetarians can finally find something good to eat at a food court!!

• Visited November 2013
Raleigh
“The freshest Mediterranean food in N. Raleigh!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I love Mediterranean food and this location in N. Raleigh serves the best! I frequent this place so regularly now, the owner, Andy, knows my number when I call ahead with my order. I have eaten at Taza Grill, Jasmin Mediterranean, and Kabobs in Wake Forest. I've gotta tell you, the food is always tastier and fresher at this N. Raleigh location of Baba Ghannouj. It's hidden away in a little strip mall, but really like a hidden gem back there. Definitely worth seeking out!

• Visited September 2013
Raleigh
“Delicious food; dodgy restroom”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The hummus was wonderful and the Greek gyro with lamb and beef was very tasty. I am not a big fan of lamb and I didn't realize that the beef and lamb are mixed together (my fault!). Even so, the owner offered to replace my gyro with something else if I did not like it. I ate the whole thing. This was our first visit - we will have to try other dishes next time. As mentioned by other reviewers - the staff is friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, the ladies restroom was not clean and there was no toilet paper in the one stall. Not sure why this was overlooked as we were there before noon and were the only customers at the time - in other words, there was not a big crowd of customers to distract the staff from restroom-cleaning duties. Going forward, we will probably stick to take-out.

• Visited September 2013