“Our favorite restaurant in the Triangle” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Gonza Tacos y Tequila is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 1,235 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Mexican, South American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Come experience the best Mexican restaurant in Raleigh.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Our favorite restaurant in the Triangle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The wait is long, but soooo worth it.

There is a ghost menu with extra items. Ask for the scallop tacos! The food is so good here. The service is excellent. Mr. Gonza himself roams the restaurant and is great to talk to. He gave my wife a free shot of tequila and dessert on her birthday.

We try to go once a week and it's not nearly enough.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Knightdale, North Carolina
“My new favorite place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I can't help it....I'm in love. This place is terrific. So much better than the run-of-the-mill Mexican options available to us elsewhere in town. This is a Colombian/Mexican/Carribean fusion sort of thing. The atmosphere in the facility can do nothing but make you smile and forget where you are for a while. The food is so fresh and delicious. You want to talk about great bar service?!? Wow...their bartenders make some really mean drinks. My favorite is the Mexican Mohito. The owner is almost always on site making sure you are receiving the best of care. It does get very, very busy on Friday and Saturday nights, so go early or be prepared for a crowded wait. I will say that it is worth the wait though!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Try this for food from Colombia and Mexico”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I have eaten here twice and we have enjoyed both meals. The flavors and spices anre outstanding. This is not your standard bland US-Mexican food. This food is full of flavor and taste. I loved the Colombian fish dish and would urge everyone to try it.

The down side here is that this place is conistently full and you need to get here early or suffer the long waits. This is certainly a place to stop if you are hungry for food with flavor in North Raleigh.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, NC
“It is good, but it is not over the top good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The food was very good, and the service was very good, but I am surprised there are some many 5 star reviews of it. It is a step up from many of the Mexican restaurants in Raleigh, but I would not put it that far ahead of them. Worth a try, for sure yes, worth going back now and then, yes.

My only real negative comment is that it operates in a different space in terms of the amount of food you get vs. the presentation - meaning its portions are smaller than many of the other Mexican restaurants, and with an emphasis on presentation. Part of my review my be influenced because I was starving at the time and actually wanted a larger portion.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rochster, NY
“OMG you have to eat here.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was soooo good. We've always eaten at Dos Toquito's but tried this restaurant this time.....I think the owners are brothers??? Anyway...it was EXCELLENT and a bit less expensive. GREAT service. We had a waiter from Scotland (named Paco ha ha ) and it was great to meet him. Food was so good we couldn't stop talking about it. You won't be dissapointed. Sangri pitcher was great too.

Visited November 2012