“No. 1 really” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Gonza Tacos y Tequila is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 1,236 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Mexican, South American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Come experience the best Mexican restaurant in Raleigh.
NC
“No. 1 really”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I to agree that Tacos and Tequila is a good restaurant, but I would not want a visitor to come to Raleigh and think this is the best we have to offer. Good restaurant for what it is but far from the best in Raleigh!!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Try the Red, White and Green!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We've recently moved from San Diego where the Mexican restaurants are many and most are excellent. I've tried quite a few here in Raleigh and Tacos Tequila is the best. A friend recommended the Red, White and Green which is three enchiladas...steak, chicken and bean topped with three different (R, W & G) sauces. Excellent. My only regret was that I was on my lunch hour so wasn't able to try the margaritas, but I'll be back for happy hour soon!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Morrisville, North Carolina
“Awesome Mexican food! Must try”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Mexican Mohito was excellent
We had CHILES ENDIABLADOS(pickled jalapeños / bacon / cheese) - was SPICY and awesome!
If the kitchen is not too backed up they allow you to mix and match tacos sometimes - so definitely ask!
The PESCADO(flour tortilla / tilapia / cole slaw / tomatillo salsa) was not that great.
But I give five stars to -
CAMARON(flour tortilla / shrimp / cheese / tequila-chipotle / pico de gallo)
CARNITAS(corn tortilla / slow roasted pork / cilantro / tomatillo salsa / onions)

Ambiance is great. Expect wait times.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Raleigh, NC
“I agree!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

The reviews are correct! We went here on a weeknight and it was packed. Though there was a long wait, the bartenders were very attentive and friendly. The food was excellent. Don't miss this gem!

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Number 1 restaurant in Raleigh?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I give this five stars on all counts. Waitresses were friendly, helpful and fast. Atmosphere was colorful without being tacky. Food was very good and prices moderate, what is there not to like? We were asked if this was our first visit and we said yes. So the owner made a trip to our table to say high and welcome us - that's friendly!

We started with appetizers of guacamole and Ceviche. The Guacamole was fresh mashed avocado with little else, not exactly what I call guacamole. Ceviche is normally raw seafood that has been marinated and cooked with the acid from the marinade and served as a thick Pico de gallo salsa. Gonza served what I consider a "Mexican Cocktail" as their version of ceviche, it was cooked seafood floating in a tomato based sauce. Both were very good, just not what was expected.

My wife ordered the shrimp taco's and said that they were the best that she has had.
I ordered Pibil, which is achiote cooked pork tacos, it was very good and spicy.
The portions are not huge like some Mexican restaurant, they are more petite like a gourmet restaurant.

Would I recommend it it? Absolutely! Would I rate it the best the restaurant around? I don't know. But my guess is that as far as tripadvisor is concerned, they have very few complaints which floats then right to the top.

• Visited September 2012