“won't take reservations” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
South Pole
“won't take reservations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

4 of 4 stars (excellent casual dining).

(see explanation of ratings below)

One of several very popular dining spots founded by Chef Ashley Christensen. Also, one of that growing number of restaurants who just won't take reservations (no matter how much you try to bribe them).

I have waited more than an hour for a table here, but on this night (a Monday at 6:30) there was no wait.

Allow 40-50 minutes (no dessert).

Cost: about $20-$25 per person (one drink, no dessert, gratuity not included).

Be sure to stop by Fox Liquor Bar (under Beasley's) for some great cocktails.

About my ratings:

Only fine dining establishments can garner five stars. Until TripAdvisor realizes that a fast food joint cannot possibly be ranked equally with a $100 per person place, I need to draw the line somewhere. If we were only talking about the quality and presentation of the food, it would be a different story. But, as we know, TripAdvisor's rankings take into account the entire dining experience.

Therefore, I divide restaurants into three categories (and I wish TripAdvisor would do the same):

1) fast food and "fast-casual" (no table service )

2) casual and "posh casual" dining (table service)

3) fine dining (linen napkins, no plastic cups, no TV's in dining room, typically more expensive than casual dining)

Fine dining can earn a max of five stars. Casual dining can earn a max of four stars. Fast food can earn a max of three stars.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Hebrew first
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Yum! Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I've eaten here twice in three days. But what can I say-the food is delicious. My son and I ordered chix and waffle, pimento mac and cheese custard, and beuregard sweet potatoes. EVERYTHING we ate was delicious. The pimento mac and cheese is the BOMB! waffles were definately fresh and made from scratch- not frozen. The sweet tea (black tea) is a little bitter to my taste so the second visit I ordered a bottled soda. Hubby ordered meatloaf and mashed potatoes and said it was awesome. Everyone is really friendly. Even when they are crowded your wait is never too long. Awesome for couples, families, friends, etc.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bridgewater, New Hampshire
“Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

At lunch, I had the fried chicken on a waffle with honey. I was very pleasantly surprised at how delicious it was. We were too full for desert, so went back after at another restaurant to sample the deserts. All were excellent.

Visited April 2013
“Really Good Modern Southern Classics”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Although Chicken and Waffles does not have its origin in North Carolina, the fried chicken sure tasted like my NC great grandfather used to make! Good things in summary: 1) Outstanding menu (cannot wait to try the creamed collards) 2) Mason jars to drink from 3) Interesting local cocktails. Not so good: 1) Cannot make reservations (not much good space to wait, but okay if it is a sunny day and you feel like standing on a street corner) 2) Sitting at communal tables 3) Bourbon cocktail that promised a bacon flavor did not deliver the promised pork. Service was very good. They did not pack my soggy waffle in my to go bag which greatly saddened me when I went to the fridge for a midnight snack. All that being said, I cannot wait to go back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Madrid, Spain
“Must try the chicken and waffles!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been to Beasley's a few times, and it was not until the most recent visit that I decided to try the chicken and waffles. Everything on their menu is delicious, but this one really took me by surprise! What a combination! Their amazingly fluffy waffles combined with the best fried chicken I have ever tasted was amazing! I will definitely be returning for more!

• Visited February 2013