“About 10 Minutes Drive from Downtown” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof PLUS+ Raleigh NCSU - Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Red Roof PLUS+ Raleigh NCSU - Convention Center to your Saves list
Red Roof PLUS+ Raleigh NCSU - Convention Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1813 South Saunders Street, I-40/440 at US 70/401, Raleigh, NC 27603   |
Ranked #24 of 80 hotels in Raleigh
Four Oaks, North Carolina
“About 10 Minutes Drive from Downtown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night to avoid the 2 hour drive back home after enjoying Raleigh's downtown night life (which is modest).
The staff at the front desk was perfectly friendly.
The room was average; the television had adequate number of channels (news/movie channels).
The wifi in the room worked great with no issues.
The bathroom and bedroom were both clean as were the sheets.
This hotel was certainly adequate for the month spent.

Room Tip: The taxi trip took about 10 minutes from downtown Raleigh's "The Big Easy".
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
caniac27603, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Raleigh NCSU - Convention Center, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for the review and we must find out what cab company took you 10 minutes to get to the Big Easy since it is a 5 minute drive! I am pleased to see that you had a pleasant stay and hope you will come stay with us again once we are through with our renovation so you can try out our new rooms. We appreciate your feedback and ahnk you for the review!

120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I have stayed here for 4 years straight, every Christmas season. The first year I was very hesitant as I generally avoid RR Inns, but we were on a tight budget and the reviews were good. The minute I saw it, I had a feeling it was in a class above the rest, and I was right. Very clean spacious rooms, Clean bathrooms, everything working perfectly. And probably the best shower I have ever seen in a hotel - water pressure is fantastic and a nice wide shower head...really really nice. The pillows could be better - they were fairly small, but my request for extras was met with no problems. Nicely decorated lobby for the season. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: I was told by the guy at the desk that the 4th floor was for smokers, but I never smelled any cigare...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
caniac27603, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Raleigh NCSU - Convention Center, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. I am pleased to see that the hotel and staff are meeting your needs. We pride ourselves on clean comfortable rooms at a reasonable rate. Hopefully you will come back to visit us later in the year in 2013 to see our newly renovated rooms that we are so excited about.

Once again, thank you for staying with us when you are in Raleigh!

General Manger
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 5 nights while attending a conference. (Originally planned on 4 but extended because of my room and Raleigh attractions.).

Brought my dog with me and staff was wonderful about making up my room when I had a few minutes to take her for a walk. Because of the conference, times varried, but staff was always there within a few minutes of my request.

An added bonus: There is a huge (several acre) field out back which was great for running my dog.

Room was comfortable with fridge, a nice table, a desk and wi-fi. Only issue: no Public Television station on the cable. Other than that, this far exceeded exceeded expectations!

• Stayed August 2012
caniac27603, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Raleigh NCSU - Convention Center, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Sophiasabella:

I am so pleased to see that you had a great stay at our property, the entire staff was given your review and would like to thank you for the kind words and everyone was pleased to see that you had a great experience which is what we strive for. I hope you can come back and stay with us again next year and see our new rooms since we are to be renovated at the beginning of 2012.

Thank you again and I hope to have you as a guest again in the near future!

Swansboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I use this property two or three times a year. The only problem I have had in the past three or four years was actually my own fault. The folks at the front desk have let me, and the others in my ministry group, know that the second floor is pet free. I asked for a room on the first floor. Bad Idea. I should have known better. The rooms are always clean and since I spend several days I often hang the Do Not Disturb sign out and skip housekeeping for a day or two. If I need a clean towel there is always a helpful person to get me one. This property is less than 10 minutes from where I need to go each morning and having coffee in the room gets me there quickly and refreshed.

Room Tip: Make reservations early when the State Fair is going on!!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
caniac27603, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Raleigh NCSU - Convention Center, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Fran:

Thank you so much for the review, our guest are very important to us and what they have to say helps us to improve all around. I am pleased to see that you always have a good stay and hopefully you will be back to visit with us once our renovation is complete.

Thank you again and I hope to have you as a guest again in the near future!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

As so many people have noted, this is a simple, clean, basic hotel. A good, cheap place to stay the night or a few nights while on a business trip or visiting the Triangle area. It not ideally located for walking to downtown, but it's easy to drive into the historic downtown area and not hard to find street parking in town after 5:00pm. Located right off US 40 it's very easy to get out to Durham and Chapel Hill.

At the front desk, Jason provided quality, professional service--efficient, quick, and pleasant. I needed a spoon for some ice cream I had bought and he found one for me among the staff supplies. During the day a crabby old woman was at the desk when I went down too late for "breakfast." Breakfast is a muffin, bottle of water, and a blechy tasting apple. Just an FYI. There's coffee, but nothing else, including plastic spoons or forks.

Walls are not particularly good at blocking neighboring noise, but fortunately my neighbors were pretty quiet after hours.

The neighborhood is perfectly blah. There's really no one living nearby and I felt perfectly safe riding my bicycle on neighboring streets to get downtown.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
caniac27603, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Raleigh NCSU - Convention Center, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Mark,

Thank you for your survey and your great review, we try to offer a clean comfortable room at an affordable price. I am pleased to see that Jason offered you exceptional service and will pass this feedback onto him.

I hope to have you as a guest again on your next trip to Raleigh.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed here for about 5 days in October. I checked in and was told my priceline.com reservation only guaranteed me the "cheapest room." Which, the priceline site says it guarantees you a king size bed, however, the red roof in is different and their king size rooms are more expensive than their double rooms. This is because their double rooms are shockingly basic with just two beds and an old TV. No desk or table to work on. So, after some calling and working with the front desk the upgraded me (thank you) to the "Superior King" rooms, a cheap way to get people to pay more for amenities you should get for the price. However, the room was super nice, TV, bed, it was clean, nothing fancy. One complaint is the internet is terrible and at times basically worthless, which was frustrating as I was here on business. I also though the price was a bit much. I got my room for $50 a night which i've gotten 4 star hotels downtown St. Louis and other cities for that much. I personally think it's a bit of stretch to say this hotel is downtown but, it's close. I've walked it, it's a bit far and kinda weird but do-able...but the area isn't super walkable.

So, for a cheap hotel that's clean and a no frills sort of stay, your going to be satisfied. If your looking to stay for a bit and are into luxury/comfort and or look to be staying actually in downtown, i'd recommend shelling out a few extra dollars a night for a different hotel.

Room Tip: choose the side facing away from Saunders St. The parking lot has the brightest lights and with the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
caniac27603, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Raleigh NCSU - Convention Center, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Sammatime:

Thank you so much for posting a trip advisor review and letting us know how your stay was. I have contacted the internet company about the problems you encountered while you were here so thank you for letting usknow, it is being addressed as I type this. Our standard room with 2 double beds is just a standard room at a lower price than our superior king rooms. All of our rooms do have new flat screen TV's and the superior kings rooms also have the large work station desk, microfridges and coffee makers in the room. Red Roof Inn is in the process of renovating the properties and we are on the list for November so I hope you will come back and stay with us and check out our new product.

Thank you again for your feedback! I hope to have you as a guest again in the near future!

Bristol, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Such as easy exit from Interstate #40. Also, an easy route from there to the warehouse dist. and lots of good food. We checked in with a very pleasant young man named Jason. He was there later and gave us directions. extra towels and a sweet smile every time. Our room was clean and already the air was on and very refreshing. My friend and I had a no frills room, but the shower was good, the ice machine in the hall worked and ALSO, if the weather had been right, the windows opened. I really value windows that can be opened when it's cooler and less humid.

My only complaint was the sign at the turn off from the road was not lit and we nearly missed it or plowed up the landscape twice!

Room Tip: We had a rear facing room on the second floor. I bet the windows on the first floor couldn't be...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
caniac27603, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Raleigh NCSU - Convention Center, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review and I am pleased to see that you had a great stay. I try very hard to have my GSR's provide exceptional service and I am so happy to see that the newest one on my team (Jason) did this for you. I hope next time you are in Raleigh you will choose to stay with Red Roof again!

K Kirk

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Raleigh NCSU - Convention Center? Share your experiences!