“OVERALL GOOD STAY BUT...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #14 of 80 hotels in Raleigh
Darlington, South Carolina, United States
“OVERALL GOOD STAY BUT...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

First the good, I had to stay at this location because I took a week long class at NC State University. The hotel was only 3 miles/5 minutes away from the University, therefore, perfect! However, the hotel does not have restaurants on site or nearby. Everything is driving distance. There is a gas station nearby, and a Wendy’s but you have to drive. Clean rooms, spacious and well stocked with toiletries and coffee. When I made my reservation I did not have a code from the university to get their rate, but the hotel was very accommodating in updating to the lower rate. Now the bad, the breakfast bar was not taken care properly, always out of coffee and eggs. Everyday! For the entire week. The person attending was not usually there. I did not like the variety. I would stay there again, only if I go to NCSU for a class.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
RDUGS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites at NC State SW, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay at our property. There are many choices in this area and we are thankful you chose us. I am apologetic that your experience with our Express Start Breakfast bar was a negative one. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and we want to provide you a breakfast of quality. This feedback will be used as we evaluate our processes, in effort to improve our services. We look forward to your return visit and I would welcome the opportunity to personally handle your next reservation.

Kindest regards,

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I needed to find a new regular place to stay and this was near many of the places I must go for business reasons. I was pleasantly surprised. I came to check-in at a bad time and there was a wait but the one desk person handled to overload very professionally and courteously. Everything about the hotel was sparkling clear but no where near garish..... pool, lobby, workout room, breakfast room and, of course, my room. The room was big enough to accommodate anyone's needs and was tastefully furnished with comfortable furniture. I needed two wake up calls: midnight to take medication and 6am for real. Got 'em both as requested. In the meantime, I got 8 hours of the best sleep I'd had in weeks in spite of a threatening toothache.Breakfast had a wide selection. I found the machine-made pancakes a little rubbery (remember, I had a sensitive tooth) and the scrambled eggs a little too soft but there were plenty of other items to choose. Don't expect me to rate any more hotels in Raleigh - I'll be staying at this one exclusively. (and this is in a part of Raleigh in which traffic is not very heavy)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
We are so excited to become your new “favorite Raleigh hotel”. We work hard to accommodate our guests and it is such a reward when you all deem us your “favorite Raleigh hotel”. We will continue to work hard to keep your loyalty and trust. On your next travel here, please introduce yourself to our management team we would love to meet you!

Happy Holidays,

Ramsey, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were moving states and needed a place to stay with our small dog. Unfortunately, most of the hotels in Raleigh charged an outrageous pet fee for dogs to stay the night, didn't allow them at all or were highly sketchy. This was a nice and clean hotel with a reasonable pet fee. The room was very comfortable and the hotel staff was very friendly. We slept very well and were able to tackle the next day's 12 hour drive well-rested.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We are glad we were able to provide great accommodations for you and your dog. We are in the business of accommodating and that’s just what we’ll do. We look forward to another opportunity to take great care of you and your dog.

Happy Holidays,

Deton, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a very nice hotel located among trees. We were fortunate to stay here on a Tuesday evening when they had a manager's reception with a very nice offering of chicken, salad, etc. Included was beer and soft drinks. There was enough to eat that I canceled my plans for dinner. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The beds were very comfortable. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
RDUGS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites at NC State SW, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
We appreciate your recent stay and kind words. I am delighted you were able to enjoy our manager’s reception. I am even more delighted that we saved you some money and time, by not having to go out for dinner. Our goal is make your dollar stretch that’s why we offer a FREE Hot Breakfast bar and FREE High Speed Internet access. See you back soon!

In hospitality,

Lenoir NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We recently stayed at this facility for the NC Senior games..had a group there. The whole process from check -in to check out was very smooth, the staff was friendly, the rooms were spacious, well appointed and clean. The bed was comfortable and the rooms were very Quiet. The complimentary breakfast was very good as these things go with a good selection of items

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
RDUGS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites at NC State SW, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for that great review! We thoroughly enjoyed being a host hotel for the NC Senior Games. As competitors in the games you know how important it is to start your day off with a well balanced breakfast. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our Complimentary Hot Express Start Breakfast Bar. We look forward to accommodating you on your next trip to Raleigh

In hospitality,

Blountville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is a nice hotel. It is fairly new and always appears clean. The staff has always been friendly and helpful. I have stayed here while on business in Raleigh about 4-5 times over the last couple of years. Breakfast is good and the amenities are great including the indoor pool. I would agree with the other reviews that the hotel is quiet even though it is just off the interstate. It is close to several restaurants but none right next door so you do have to drive about ten minutes or so. I will stay here again on my next trip to Raleigh.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
RDUGS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites at NC State SW, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for those beautiful comments and all your stays! It is truly rewarding when a guests recognizes our efforts and compliments us. We'll be waiting to your return visit!

Kindest regards,

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I am a platinum member of Holiday Inn rewards so I stay at a LOT of HI Express's. I feel I know the hotel well. This was nice but there could be some changes that would have made it better.
1. The man that greeted us when we checked in was not very friendly. It was the late staff but I was always greeted as a platinum member and this guy treated us like we were wasting his time.
2. We got back to our hotel at 4 pm and our room wasn't cleaned the first day; we had to request the cleaning.
3. I told the front desk that the air conditioner in our room was not working well. We cranked it down to 75 but there is no way it got below 80.
4. There were bugs in the bathroom; I found one a day. They were not bed bugs so I didn't freak out but I wish I knew what they were.
5. The work out equipment was in need of repair. I told the staff and they sent someone over right away to work on it and made improvements. It still wasn't great.
However, the internet was strong all over the facility. The breakfast was good, as usual. When I checked OUT the folks couldn't have been more pleasant...really nice southern charm. The structure was well lit and I felt safe. There were 5 pillows...5! It was great for my husband and I.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. I appreciate you taking the time to advise us of your dissatisfaction, which is the first step towards improvement of our services.
The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites is committed to providing our guest with the highest quality of services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance.

I would like the opportunity to welcome you back in an effort to provide you the level of service you expect from The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites.

Please accept my personal invitation to come back, so we can demonstrate the true quality of our service. Please contact me directly to make your reservation.

Warmest regards,
Milton Hamilton

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites at NC State SW? Share your experiences!