“nice place with true jazz” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Glenwood and Tucker
Transit: The R Line: Glenwood Avenue at Tucker Street
Description: Solas Dine|Lounge|Rooftop. Unlike any other establishment in the Triangle, Solas offers three levels of dining and entertainment. Solas has a wonderful outdoor patio flowing into a warm inviting main dining room and bar area. The 2nd level transitions to an ultra-lounge with stunning decor, two private dining rooms, and low-profile seating around a dance floor that peeks into the first floor dining room. The Solas roof deck is an oasis escape with relaxing private lounge areas overlooking Glenwood South. The Solas ambiance is perfect for all your needs, from a first date to a business dinner in our private dining room to a relaxing evening with cocktails and champagne on the rooftop.
Raleigh, North Carolina
“nice place with true jazz”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We enjoyed Solas very much on a recent Friday night. We were impressed with the setting and especially the music of Eddie Thigpen and Elmer Gibson. I thought the food was great. This was one of the best burgers I've had anywhere. Downtown Raleigh is continuing to get better. And there were no noticeable violations of political sensibilities.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Tel Aviv, Israel
“Nice atmosphere but very mediocre food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Nice atmosphere but very mediocre food. The staff was not quite familiar with some of the dishes. The first course dishes we nice but the main (entrees) were very mediocre.

Visited August 2013
Raleigh, NC
“Review of Solas Lounge - NOT the restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

The restaurant, Pia, was OUTSTANDING and will be reviewed separately. The rooftop lounge, Solas, was disappointing. The beauty of the location and the rooftop is undeniable. HOWEVER, the servers were irritated by us (a group of 40-something women on GNO). We asked for a group photo - our heads were cut off. We were served one round of drinks and then forgotten completely. We had to beg for our checks. It was early on a Friday night so the lounge was pretty empty, but we were seated in the least attractive, least scenic seats which were also on the back end of a fan on a HOT night. And did I mention the cockroaches on the walls? Really, places like this need to learn that women of a certain age have MONEY TO SPEND and although we might not look like Beyoncé, we deserve a fun night out and should not be treated like second-class citizens. Especially disappointing because we had an OUTSTANDING experience in the restaurant on the first floor, Pia, just an hour earlier. The food, the service, the ambiance there were all fantastic, plus $4 valet parking. Read my enthusiastic endorsement of Pia as well. Solas is lovely but as my mother always said: "Pretty is as pretty does." And pretty doesn't at Solas.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Different Treatment for Different Races”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

had heard alot about Solas and decided to check it out . I went to Triangle town center and brought a brand new polo outfit which included new polo shirt, shorts and shoes. I was told at the door at Solas that i couldn't come in because of my shoes. Remember this is summer and i am wearing polo boat shoes and they are nice. I asked the Guy if he was serious and if i could talk to a manager.

He told me no and then a manager happened to come by and he told me that it was because of my shorts.. It was a hot summer day and i had saw at 90% of the folks coming in wearing attire appropriate for the weather. He then said it was my shoes and as fate would have it a white patron had on the same exact shoes and different shorts and was let in.

I was dumbfounded and asked why the white patron was treated differently than me then the door guy was irate and said "dude just get away ".

I at that point decided to leave and never return. I am a former marine and was totally disgusted after having serving this country along with all siblings in the military. I have a sibling now that is a law enforcement official in wake county.

Just a terrible situation

Visited August 2012
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Over priced fusion experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The menu is by no means a normal menu. This is not the place if you are looking for a quick let's grab something nearby. The menu looks overpriced, but the food matches what you are paying - something you normally would not eat or make yourself. I think the music in the background was a good mix, the seating was comfortable and relaxing. The service was good, but the food was just over the top for what I normally like. I really suggest you look at the menu before you go, as it everything has a twist or fusion to it. If you are into food without that kick/twist like I am this is not the place. If you enjoy the fusion experience and food with a flare this is a great place to go.

• Visited March 2013