“Decent hotel, nice staff, average at best” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #43 of 83 Hotels in Raleigh
Johannesburg, Michigan
“Decent hotel, nice staff, average at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

This was really just your run of the mill hotel for me. Staff was nice, room was pretty clean, convenient to get to stuff (fast food down the street, coffee, rite aid, etc..). It's always a little concerning to me when you have a hotel that locks down at night and you have to use your key card to get in. I know - you'd think that you'd be happy about that but it sorta creeps me out. Room had garbage in the garbage when I got in it - just set it outside my door. Staff was pleasant. Lots of people hanging out outside (seemingly guests of the hotel) so that was a little bothersome. But room was comfy, water worked, quiet, and got me through my stay for business fine. I just wouldn't stay again. I'd choose something else next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
BWRaleigh, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Hotel. I was pleased to read that the Hotel staff was friendly and you felt our location was very centrally located. We do take the security of our guests and staff very seriously. We lock the doors to the buildings at all times as a way of making sure that the only people in the hallways and near the sleeping rooms are the actual guests and staff. The design of our hotel is a bit different then other hotels where guests enter through the lobby and past the Front Desk to the elevators. Since we do not have this, we have to have tighter access to the rooms. Our only intention with this policy is to provide more comfort to our guests. I hope that you will visit us again the next time you visit Raleigh. Thank you for your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I thought that all US hotels were non smoking but apparently that doesn't apply to this hotel. The first room I checked into, I was immediately meet with the smell of stale cigarette smoke. Even being a former smoker would not have kept me in that room. They assigned another room which was better. Even though, the breakfast was free I was not impressed. The best part of this hotel was definitely the shower.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
BWRaleigh, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We are a 100% non smoking hotel and do enforce a $200.00 Smoking fee if we discover that a room has been smoked in. We also take steps to clear the smoke out of the room, which includes not selling the room until it is ready. I apologize that the smell of smoke caused your stay to be less than pleasurable.I hope that you will join us again in the future and I would be more then happy to make your reservations and personally inspect the room.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

This hotel is not customer friendly. The lobby closes at 10:00 and customers are left outside in the cold to reserve a room. The rooms may be advertised as nonsmoking but the stench of stale cigarette smoke permeated the room and after being persistent in requesting another room, my clothes still smell of stale smoke two days later. Not worth the time and effort. The staff was pleasant however no one went out of their way to please the customer. They provided the bare minimum in customer service.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your recent review of our property. I realize we have been in contact via email and we have further discussed your stay. I apologize for the service issues that you had during your stay and I have discussed this with the staff that was on duty during your check in. I hope that you will stay with us again in the near future and I will make sure everything is perfect with your stay.

CARROLLTON, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Parking very inconvienent. Bathroom cramped, dark and not very clean. Bathtub had mold on some of grout and floor behing door was YUk. Only two small pillows on king bedAND FLOOR BEHING DOOR YUK. Price was good compared to other hotels in area. Location was close to Duke Raleigh Hospital where I had an appointed and I live three hours away. Would stay again for one night.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWRaleigh, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Best Western Raleigh North Downtown. I apologize for the cleanliness issues that you had during your stay. I will share your comments with our Housekeeping staff to make sure this does not happen again in the future. I was wondering about the parking issues you stated. We have over 192 parking spaces and room for truck parking so there should have been enough spaces. It would be appreciated if you can let me know more specifics of the issue you had. My email is bwra.gm@cmchotels.com. We look forward to hosting you again in the very near future.

Brisbane
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Firstly, if you are planning a trip to Raleigh, you should really reconsider. On arrival I felt this place had a lot of potential. The room was spacious with no obvious odor.

After some time, flaws began to appear. First of all, the toilet would not flush whatsoever. Housekeeping/maintenance was contacted numerous times to rectify the issue with limited success. After contacting the front desk, it was soon discovered that the hair dryer was also faulty.

To my surprise, after having a mediocre shower, the bathroom experience what I would call ‘minor flash flooding'. Much to my disgust.

Before retiring for the night, I proceeded down to the lobby to procure a chilled beverage from the vending machine. Once in the lobby, I was struck by feelings of sheer horror as I witnessed a fellow inmate of the Best Western Raleigh complain that his bathroom was splattered with copious amounts of what appeared to be none other than human blood. The staff calmly responded with an unphased ‘Would you like to change rooms? Or take some money off your stay?'

I don't know about you but I would be on an express train out of there. Not only this, but there was a multitude of thug like people loitering around the property, peeking into vehicles. Furthermore, some colleagues of mine were offered marijuana in the parking lot.

When I returned to my room from this debaucherus adventure, without aforementioned chilled beverage, I felt the need to put in place numerous security measure in the slim hope of feeling safe during my stay.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent review of our property. I apologize for the many issues that you had during your stay. I will personally make sure all of the room issues that you had will be fixed. We take the safety and security of our guests and staff very seriously. We do not have any crime related incidents at the property at all. We have a great working relationship with the Raleigh police, that includes multiple patrols of our parking lot each night. We also address any suspicious people on the property and check their identification. If they are not a registered guest then they are escorted from our property. I would be more then happy to discuss further details with you about your stay. My email address is bwra.gm@cmchotels.com.

Outer Banks, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I have stayed at this property a lot. When I had a situation come up, I really expected it to be handled in a professional manner and ins way that was respectful of me and my wife. We were staying in one of the "suites". On the day that we were scheduled to check out, we decided to stay an additional day. Technically we became a stay over and not a checkout. Apparently the housekeeping staff did not get the memo. They took my coat and car charger to be place in their room for lost items but my brand new Crest White mouthwash and toothpaste was nowhere to be found. Both valued at $5.00 each. I have to assume those items were kept for personal use because they figured we were gone and would forget about something that small. Honesty among the housekeeping is a big problem at this property. Why would they not bag all of the items so that ye guest can pick them up. The desk manager Rebecca is arrogant, rude and no help at all in resolving problems.

Room Tip: Take everything out to your car daily if you are staying more than one day no matter which room you...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
BWRaleigh, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at our Hotel. I was informed of the situation with your stay a few days after your stay. We by no means have any issues with theft at our property. This incident was a simple misunderstanding. The Housekeepers discarded the toothpaste and Mouthwash during your stay because there was no luggage or personal belongings in the room and they thought you had checked out. When you let our desk staff know about what happened we did offer complimentary toothpaste and a toothbrush. As a Goodwill gesture I would be happy to reduce your next stay by $10.00 for the inconvenience. Please feel free to contact me via email bwra.gm@cmchotels.com.

Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We got a good rate, but had we paid full price I would have complained. Rooms are fairly large, and provide coffee maker, an old TV and free wifi. Complimentary breakfast was carb- and sugar loaded! But for one night at a discounted rate it was just OK.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
BWRaleigh, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased that you feel you received good value for your room. We have brand new flat screen televisions in all of our rooms that are less then 6 months old and should meet all of the needs of our guests. I hope that you will join us again the next time you visit Raleigh.

Michael Dillon

Been to BEST WESTERN Raleigh North-Downtown? Share your experiences!