“What a dump. Three stars it's not.” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #44 of 80 Hotels in Raleigh
CA
“What a dump. Three stars it's not.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I got stuck here doing a Hotwire deal for a 3 star hotel. It's at best a 1 1/2 star. This is a really sketchy hotel.. strange people around all hours of the night. My room was MUSTY and old and definitely not a "remodel" room. After the first night I found a black widow in the room and also an old roach that had been smashed on the lamp. I called the front desk and the guy apologized and moved me to a much better room (he was very nice and shared my disappointment in the room). But even that room was still MUSTY and old. It was on a floor where all the rooms on one side were smoking, and all the other rooms on the other side were non-smoking. HUH??? It stank on the floor. There are 3 buildings in all and they are all sketchy. My point is, if you are looking for a 3 star hotel, this isn't it. If you like dodgy motels with riff-raff all around you and musty old rooms, this is the one for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BWRaleigh, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Best Western Raleigh North Downtown. I am sorry that your stay did not go anywhere near as well as you expected. I was perplexed at your comment about the rooms being old as all 139 of our rooms have been renovated in the last 6 months with new beds,carpet,televisions,furniture,artwork and complete painting. While our hotel is an older property we have done extensive work to modernize the entire property. I would love to have the opportunity to further discuss these issues with you in more detail so I can address where you might have stayed and research the dates you stayed to review our security information on that particular time period.

Michael Dillon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I always stay that this hotel. And every time I stay I always get really good service. I got to check in early, and everyone was really nice and I was treated really good. The young lady who checked me in, she was fast and check me in soon as arrived. And then Terri who was there when I came in to get another key made, she was really sweet. And then there was young man who was at the front desk in the evening gave me extra stuff cause I forgot something at home. Every one from the housekeeping staff to the front desk was super nice to me. Thank you for the really nice room and for the service. I always enjoy my stay. I will be back in October for Shaw University homecoming.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for the excellent comments you shared in your recent review of the Best Western Raleigh North Downtown. I was happy that your interaction with the staff was very memorable. Terri is an outstanding staff member who has worked at the hotel for over 7 years. She is truly great at her job. We enjoy working with parents visiting their children at all of the local colleges and our location is located right near all of these institutions. I hope you will join us again in the very near future.

Smyrna, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We got a great rate on a room here for a couple of nights thru Priceline, but next time we'll pay a few more dollars for a little better. The staff was pleasant, but there was no 24 hour front desk as advertised. It was nice that the room had its own private balcony, but the room needed definite renovation! The toilet lid in the bathroom was cracked and missing half of it! We couldn't believe that! The location was good-just out of downtown, but right off the highway making getting around easy. The continental breakfast was just ok.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
BWRaleigh, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Best Western Raleigh North. I apologize that your stay did not go as well as you would expect from a stay at a Best Western. Our Front Desk is staffed 24 hours a day but the lobby is closed from 11:00pm to 6:00am. There is a intercom system at the Front Door to reach the Desk agent to come and open the door to assist guests. I was wondering if you could provide more details about the room as we have recently completed a major renovation that included all new beds,carpets,televisions,furniture,artwork and repainting of all guestrooms. The bathrooms were not part of that renovation. I would like to address your concerns about that particular guest room. Please feel free to contact me anytime at the Hotel directly.

Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Overall was a very pleasant experience. Nice breakfast with healthy options, although a couple times the pancake maker wasn't working, and no fresh coffee. We had a king room with a balcony over looking the pool. The room and pool was very clean. Only thing I wished for was a fridge or microwave, but we only stayed for 2 days, so didn't affect us too much. Great central location for visiting Raleigh.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BWRaleigh, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Best Western Raleigh North, I appreciated all of the positive feedback that you provided to us, We have recently renovated and are very excited about all the changes. One item you mentioned was the pancake machine. This is a new device that we recently added to our Breakfast area. I will share your comments with our attendant and confirm that they are well aware of how to operate and trouble shoot any issues that may arise. I hope you will stay with us again when you visit Raleigh.

Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had the fastest check in and check out that I've ever experienced. Very clean and comfortable. Wonderful choices for breakfast. Although I didn't use the pool, it looked clean. I would stay again!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank your for the kind words regarding your recent stay. Our Housekeeping Department works very diligently to keep the Hotel in the best possible condition. We have recently renovated our Hotel and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay.

Michael Dillon

Been to BEST WESTERN Raleigh North-Downtown? Share your experiences!