“Friendly Staff, Good Service” 3 of 5 stars

Book now and save 15%
Ranked #17 of 83 Hotels in Raleigh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wading River, New York
“Friendly Staff, Good Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

We were impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Some of the lights weren’t working when we checked into our room, but after a call to the front desk, someone from maintenance almost immediately came to fix the problem. We had a suite with a bedroom, living room, and a kitchen with a full size refrigerator, and even a dishwasher. Our suite was a little small, especially the bedroom, but it was clean and comfortable. The sink/vanity in the bathroom was separated by a door from the tub/shower combo and toilet. There were three dispensers attached to the wall in the shower – one each for shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. The flat screen TV’s – one in the bedroom and one in the living room – had a very limited selection of channels. The fitness center was located in the basement and had some treadmills, but no exercise bike. There was a very large business center with three computers and a printer located on the second floor. Breakfast was complimentary and was just about average. There’s a restaurant located next door to the hotel, and the Crabtree Valley Mall is within walking distance. During our stay, a wedding was held at the hotel, and we had to drive around the parking lot several times to find a space to park. RDU airport is about a ten minute drive, which makes this a good place to stay to catch an early morning flight.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Lexington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was quiet and clean.The breakfast was good and location was convenient. The price was a steal.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

My family and i went to Raleigh for a quick summer get away. We wanted a place where we could sleep 4 of us (two small children and 2 adults) comfortably and have a place to store/cook/reheat a few foods. We arrived shortly before dinner time. The hotel provides a buffet style dinner included in the price (as well as breakfast every day). This was a nice and convenient perk at times but at other times the food was less than cafeteria style food - and it (or something) gave the lobby a very noxious and sickly sweet smell.

We unpacked our food and our clothes after dinner - put the kids to bed and were finally ready to go to sleep ourselves (around 11pm) and I felt as if things were crawling on me. I looked but saw nothing...then looked again and saw two bugs (see photo of one of them). We knew where there was one, there were more....we called the front desk and alerted them. The desk person offered us another room which we took - unfortunately it was 1) across the hall from two rooms of guests that were partying - and he said he did not have anything else and 2) we had to do all the repacking, moving, and making of the pull out bed by ourselves because there was no one else in the hotel who could help us. He did come up to bring us sheets for the pull out bed but he could not leave the front desk (which we understand!) - but we were not moved until 1:30 in the morning and we had to wake our kids and move them too. When the front desk man came up to give us sheets for the pull out bed, I showed him the pillow case from the main bed had a huge stain (looked like blood!) on it. He was embarrassed and apologized and gave me extra pillowcases. If I found that so easily, did housekeeping not see it when they made the bed?!

The next day, they offered to comp us the room - which was the least that they could do. So we decided to give it another try. But, there were other issues that arose as we were there that were incredibly disapointing to say the least. When I took a shower later the second day, I noticed our shower curtain was 1/2 torn and had some disgusting stains on it that looked like blood or bodily fluids. I reported it and they advised me, they would replace the liner and they did (it just shocked me that housekeeping did not at least see the torn curtain when they were cleaning up or the hair ball in the drain - eww!!!) - I might add that when housekeeping arrived, we were leaving and I asked if she had been told about the shower curtain and she was not aware at all. She did change it, but I was incredulous that she had not been told to change it.

Later that day after visiting downtown Raleigh, we took the kids swimming in the pool. Everyone jumped in pretty quickly because it is so hot in Raleigh in July. My husband told us all to get out immediately - there was a dead lizard - 9' - floating in the pool. In fact, he was so rigid and gross that at first we thought it was a toy. My husband tried to fish him out and he broke apart in the pool and in the net...so we reported it. They said they would clean it...when we returned the next day, the net was EXACTLY AND WHERE we had left it - as if they had not cleaned it (who knows how many people swam in it).
The next afternoon after some other uncomfortable things, I called Hilton Honors to see about getting moved - apparently something was going on because they could not find us a room anywhere. We only had 3 days left so we just hoped it could only get better....they said they were SHOCKED that a hotel manager had not contacted me in two days.So was I. Most of the front desk people were SUPER NICE - really...they could not have been better - I want to emphasize that. When we finally met and spoke to the manager - which ONLY happened when we sought him out - he offered us a gift certificate for dinner at a restaurant that we don't enjoy. We asked that they consider giving us some points instead - we came to find out that what we were told they would give us, was a FAR CRY from what they gave us when we checked...another huge disappointment - we were told we would get the equivalent of what it would cost us to stay there for a night if we used points. Did NOT happen...not even 1/18th close....and of course we had no way of verifying this until they posted - long after we were gone.

The day we were leaving, my husband was packing the car and a gentleman came out of the hotel and vomited right in front of him in the parking lot. While disgusting, we had no reason to question him. However, when we came back in, someone else was reporting they saw the same thing and that they saw that same man go into the kitchen and then come out and handle the food area. Needless to say - we did not eat there that day and suddenly wondered if we should have been eating there at all at any point.

The manager tried to tell us over and over that all of the things he heard us complain about were absolutely unheard of to them - they had never experienced any of these complaints and we had just been really unlucky.....Unlucky might be changing a room once....but what we found was that the follow the daily upkeep was seriously lacking. The front desk people - all the way to the assistant managers - were polite, friendly, apologetic, kind, helpful, etc. It seemed to us that there was a lack of communication with housekeeping, grounds keepers - especially about overall professionalism and hygiene issues - every time (and I mean every time), we came and left the hotel, folks from the kitchen and housekeeping etc - were sitting right at the doors (not to the side at all), smoking. While they are entitled to smoke, it seemed to happen quite often and right where folks are coming and going?!?! Another minor problem, but frustrating: their business center - never had paper in the printer. When they finally had paper after we asked 3x, the printer was out of ink and they claimed to have no ability to refill it until the next day.

Just as a point of reference: we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Florence - lower category, MUCH BETTER SERVICE, CLEANLINESS, ETC., - we also have stayed at the Embassy Suites in Williamsburg - the cleanliness, the professionalism, the breakfast and dinner - outshine this place beyond belief (it is a category 6 according to HH though). We have stayed at a Hampton Inn in Leesburg, Category 3 - also amazing. We stay at the Hitlon Garden In NYC all the time and the one in Times Square - pricier because it is NYC - but service/cleanliness always above average.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
rambersley, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh Crabtree Valley, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
We take our guest satisfaction very seriously at the Homewood Suites Raleigh-Crabtree Valley. The guest states that they had to seek out a management representative, but I personally stopped the guests in our lobby to discuss their stay. There are other items we find inaccurate in the review, but merely want Tripadvisor readers to be aware that this review is exaggerated.
We appreciate all guest feedback, positive or negative. It always gives us a chance to continue doing what our guests enjoy, or correct any weaknesses that our travelers may find in the hotel. We will continue to do this, and look forward to serving all of our future guests.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

My family and I stayed here recently for two nights and enjoyed our stay very much, as usual. Check in was fast and friendly. Our room had two double beds, very spacious layout with seperate bedroom and living areas. Has table with chairs for dining. I love the large kitchenette because it allows me to have some comforts of home (microwave for popcorn, dishes, full size refrigerator, and a stove to prepare food). My husband loves the high def flat screen tv's that are both in the bedroom and living room.

The location is very convenient, walking distance to crabtree valley mall and there is a McDonald's close by as well.Great value because room rate includes breakfast in the AM and an evening reception in the PM on weekdays. The weekday reception always has a main dish, small salad bar, wine, beverages, cookies, etc. The pool is large and comfortable temperature. It would be nice to have cabanas or some sort of shade at the pool but no big deal.

My only gripe is the bothersome staff at the evening reception. I know they are attempting to be hospitable but I would rather the staff not come to the table while we are eating and attempt to engage us in conversation. Thats a step past friendliness into aggravation. Aside from that, wonderful hotel, great for families as well as singles with many comforts of home.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

I stayed at Homewood Suites for 1 night while visiting family in Raleigh on the way to Myrtle Beach. The hotel was very clean. I had a suite with 1 bedroom with 2 beds and a living room with a sleep sofa and kitchen. The room was kind of small for 3 adults and 3 children but for 1 night it is manageable. More than 1 night I would suggest getting the 2 bedroom suite.
The room was clean had the view overlooking the pool.
Didn't have time to use the pool but it was large and looked clean. The breakfast was great it included waffles, eggs, bacon, cereal, and toast.
The hotel is in a great location. It is kind of hidden but it is walking distance to Crabtree Mall and McDonalds. I will be staying here the next time I visit Raleigh.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Derbyshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

Myself, my husband and our children aged 19, 18 and 14 had a very short overnight stay in this hotel. The staff were pleasant - especially at breakfast. The rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable. We spent a small amount of time around the pool. We would have lasted longer but for the temperature. The complimentary pool towels had run out but, although too small, they were quickly replenished.
There is a pleasant shopping mall at the end of the road which had some lovely restaurants. We ate at Brio - highly recommended! I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to fellow travellers and thank previous posters for their comments.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Chicago Suburbs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

This hotel was a pleasant surprise. It almost felt more like a resort. The lobby was very comfortable with a library/cabin feel to it. The hotel is within walking distance of the mall. They have a managers reception everyday, with free beer and snacks. The rooms are huge, with a seperate bedroom. I will definately stay here again, and I look to stay at other Homewood Suites if this is any indication of what they are like!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh Crabtree Valley? Share your experiences!