“Geared towards workshop attendees” 3 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #29 of 80 Hotels in Raleigh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Jacksonville, Florida
“Geared towards workshop attendees”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband is an executive for a company whose headquarters is a couple blocks from this hotel. We have a negotiated discount corporate rate and stay at this hotel often. Over the past two years we have stayed an average of once per month. We have generally been happy, but over the past few months little issues are starting to add up.

We have been Marriott Platinum Rewards members for several years. My husband is disabled and we always reserve a king bed with roll-in shower. Since last summer, every stay (despite a confirmed room type reservation) has involved a room type issue. Several times we have received a phone call a day or two before our reservation saying they have us down for two double beds with a roll in shower and we have corrected them. Each time we haven't received a phone call we have been assigned two double beds on check in and had to remind them our reservation is for a king bed with roll in shower.

On our most recent visit we received a phone call from the room controller on the day the reservation was to begin informing us that despite a guaranteed reservation for a king bed with roll in shower, all of those rooms had been contracted out and were unavailable and no upgrades were available so all she could do was put us in a regular king room, an accessible king room with a tub or two doubles with the roll in shower. For our inconvenience she offered free valet parking (which is meaningless since its included in our corporate rate and even if it wasn't we get reimbursed by husband's work for all expenses).

As a platinum member I am supposed to receive room upgrades and late check out when available - but those *never* seem to be available for us at this property.

Finally, on our visit before this most recent one I did happen to be granted a late check out. When I called for luggage assistance I waited for more than 30 minutes and was told by guest services that every time a bellman headed to my room he was grabbed by a guest checking in and couldn't get to me. Why couldn't he have come to me after delivering the new guests luggage instead of going back downstairs? After 30 minutes I dragged all of my luggage down myself to find the lobby completely packed with some kind of conference check in.

My impression at this point is that the management and/or ownership are more interested in booking as many one-time large groups as possible than retaining regular, frequent guests like us. It is less of a hassle to stay at the Renaissance at North Hills and drive to the office each day than to stay at this property.

BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thanks for your review and continued loyalty to the Raleigh Marriott City Center. as a result of your posting you should have received a call from one of our associates in property reservations. It is my understanding that you require a king size bed with a roll in shower. Unfortunately, there is only one room out of 400 in our building in this configuration.

We will do our best to accommodate your requests moving forward. However, to eliminate all possible obstacles, I would recommend calling Danyell through our main switchboard number. she can assist in blocking and alerting you of availability challenges.

Thanks for your feedback. Please feel free to contact me off line if further issues are unresolved.

Bill Hofmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was a fine hotel, centrally located in downtown Raleigh, easy to get to from Durham area. The buffet breakfast on Sunday was very good and the staff throughout the hotel was accommodating. The hotel was clean and seemed to be well run. The only misgiving was there did not seem to be a concierge so there was no one to ask about restaurants, driving directions, etc. This was a real inconvenience as we did not know the area and Yelp recommendations only go so far.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Raleigh Marriott City Center! Our hotel is slightly different than others in that our Concierge actually is in the lobby interacting with guests instead of behind a desk. We term him the Lobby Concierge. Additionally, we staff our Club Room during the week with a Concierge who is available to assist guests. All of our team members are trained to accommodate our guest's needs. Please just ask us!

Salisbury, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We spent the Mother's Day weekend visiting family and stayed two nights at the Raleigh Marriott Center City. The rooms are nice, clean, and guilt. The staff is friendly and willing to meet the guests needs. Rooms toward the end of the hallways are quieter since folks are coming in and out all evening. The hotel restaurant has an excellent breakfast buffet (not included) and the hotel is confidently located to center city Raleigh which includes the capital and museums.a great Marriott. The only downside was a request for a refrigerator in the room for medicine storage; we were promised it would be in the room when we arrived, having call the night before, but it was not. They did remedy the problem immediately

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review of our hotel. All of us at the Raleigh Marriott City Center are proud to be the hotel of choice in downtown Raleigh. Hosting visitors to our great city is an honor. We are proude to be here for you!

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

One of my favorite places to stay. The property is very convenient to everything in downtown Raleigh. The rooms are always perfectly comfortable and clean, and the staff will go above and beyond to make sure every need is addressed!

Nick at the front desk is always a pleasure to catch up with. As someone who works in the hospitality field, I can really appreciate the effort that he makes in making our stays so pleasant. Tony is also a joy to see, always good for a laugh. We had breakfast in the restaurant and it was absolutely incredible...I had one of the best omelets I have ever had. Compliments to the gentleman running the omelet station! Carmen took very good care of us at the table.

The hotel sells itself with its looks and great location, but the people make it such a pleasure! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2013
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Wow what a great review! Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor. You can see by my past responses that it really is all about the team that serves our guests each day. Thanks for singling out Nick. He is a great asset to our hotel. I will ensure that he gets the accolades he deserves.

Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I booked two rooms at the Marriott in downtown Raleigh for a school-related event. This hotel is relatively new and it is quite nice. It is very clean, with a bright, open lobby and you can walk to the downtown museums and the capitol building. We were greeted promptly when we arrived and quickly checked in. I was traveling with my teenaged daughter and her friend and had requested adjacent rooms. Apparently this was not possible even though the hotel is huge and it did not seem very busy. So we had to settle for rooms just down the hall from each other. Now I'm going to gripe about the same thing I always gripe about when I stay at a Marriott and that is the $10/day they charge for wifi, even for Rewards members. This is the only hotel brand I have stayed at in recent history that charges members for wifi. Which is why I usually stay at Marriott as a last resort. Additionally, they charge an absurd amount to use the computers and printer in their "business center." my daughter had to print something for her presentation and it cost $7.95 for 15 minutes on the computer plus some ridiculous sum for printing just a few pages. I have stayed at $89/night hotels on the interstate that have free computers and printers to use, so this is another strike against Marriott. Anyway, the rooms were clean and bright with good bedding and no nasty bedspreads.

The night before my daughter's presentation, we arranged for a taxi to pick up she and her friend in the morning. The taxi was not there at the arranged time. When one finally came it was not a taxi but a car service. However, the driver was extremely unprofessional and made inappropriate and suggestive comments to my daughter and her friend. He then grossly overcharged them--$20 for a 4 block ride. When I found out about this I complained to the hotel. The manager on duty called me back promptly and discussed my concerns. I don't know if anything was done about this man, but my advice is to call your own taxi and do not use the Marriott's car service.

Lastly, the hotel tried to charge me for two cars being valeted when I actually parked my own car. Make sure you check your bill! Apparently they just automatically add on the valet fee for each room and if you don't notice it stays on your bill. So, overall, a nice enough, clean hotel with some big customer service issues.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thanks for your review of the Raleigh Marriott City Center. We have been in touch with the owner of the car service that you described and brought these issues to his attention. We certainly apologize that you had a negative experience with one of our vendors. The hotel takes these matters very seriously and will monitor this car service for future guest concerns.

Ft Worth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I really wanted to like this hotel but generally I’m not that impressed, due to the little things. But, I’ll list out the pros and cons and let you decide for yourself. This hotel is definitely set up for the business traveler paying with the company card (you must pay for transportation to/from airport, internet access, breakfast, bottled water). This hotel is great as far as the must-have’s: quick hot water, cleanliness, clean/soft linens, clean carpet.

Pros: Bath & Body Works orange ginger toiletries (probably a bit strong for my husband’s taste, but I like them); nice fitness facility with plenty of cardio equipment plus Life Fitness weight machines; friendly and helpful staff; small store in lobby was much appreciated for some OTC medication; fitness center /pool /laundry were on 4th floor (glad to not have to walk through lobby in my suit/coverup/sandals); love the location-easy walk to tons of great restaurants/ convention center/ Enterprise car rental; across the street from BoA ATM; nice conference room accommodations.

Cons: pool was cold! Ironing board padding was too thin (waffle weave pattern into my clothes, ugh); bed pillows were too small and smushy, requesting extras for our second night didn’t even help; sink stopper didn’t work; bathroom was tiny; no hi-def channels to go with HDTV; no vent for the bathroom steam; reading lights on bed were fluorescent and entirely too bright.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4th floor since that has the fitness center/ pool/ laundry.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of the Raleigh Marriott City Center. I certainly apologize for the shortcomings you described in your posting. I have asked our engineer to look at our HDTV feed as we certainly do provide HD programming for the HD televisions in our guest rooms. I have also reviewed our guest robes and pool temperature to ensure that they are up to Marriott standards.

We appreciate your posting on Trip Advisor!

Merton, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was there for 1 night on a business trip and found the hotel to be nice and the service very good. I went to buy a bottled water from the store and it was closed. One of the employees went out of his way to get me a bottle.

The only negative was check in. I arrived around midnight and had to wait a long time to be checked in.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Raleigh Marriott City Center. We do have a great new hotel in a super location. But what makes this a special destination is the team that delivers exceptional service to our guests. Thank you for commenting on our people. They are the DNA of our business.

Raleigh Marriott City Center

Been to Raleigh Marriott City Center? Share your experiences!