First, will say that the area where this hotel is located, has changed to the good, since I was last there eight years ago. Even though the bail-bondsman is still around the corner, they have turned the blocks surrounding into an enjoyable spot with outdoor dining and some street activities.
The hotel was not my first choice, but due to our corporate rate, I decided to stay there as employees have talked about how nice it is, compared to the Sheraton next door (which I remember as being nice). My room was standard, no bells or whistles, not even a fridge (but they did bring me one) and no light in the (very small) closet. The bed was comfortable enough, but not a mattress that folds up around you when you sleep :). The staff were all courteous, so no complaints there. Never made it to the gym so can't rate that.
My complaints though:
1. For a new hotel, my room had a musty smell. Glad I travel with scented candles now; sure was needed in this case.
2. There were water rings on the furniture, as if not cleaned whole-heartedly.
3. Room service dinner was not hot (eggplant parm), and the salad was supposed to be soft lettuce, but was romaine - the presentation of the salad was nice, but WAS MISSING DRESSING. Thus, two strikes again the salad.
4. The nice big chair that was comfortable to sit in and watch tv (had an ottoman too), had a stain on it.
5. Room service breakfast - the container they used to put my sliced banana's in had a large chunk missing at the top of the porceline. Can NOT believe they sent it out like that!
6. There was a long black hair in the tub.
7. When returned to my room that night, there were cereal crumbs under the desk where I ate breakfast. Tells me they did NOT vacuum there.
8. Room service breakfast was luke-warm (eggs/bacon/hash browns), and the toast was almost burnt on on side. I had asked for the bacon to be well done, and while it was, it was limp as if pre-cooked and heated up a bit on the grill.
So as you see, not the best impression for a first visit. I will look elsewhere next time, before staying here. Perhaps back to the good 'ol Embassy Suites or the Marriott North Hills (which I hear is much nicer).
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Please accept my apologies. Your experience is not what we strive for at the Raleigh Marriott City Center. I have forwarded all your comments to the hotel's leadership team and housekeeping in particular.
I like to think that our hotel is fastidiously clean. In fact, guests have ranked the hotel in the top 10% of the Marriott brand in room cleanliness. Obviously, this was not your experience. Again, please accept my apologies.
Raleigh Marriott City Center.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.