“The Pit - smoky flavor was the prefect touch” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pit is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 1,234 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dawson Street
Transit: The R-line stops right in front of the restaurant!
Smithfield, North Carolina
“The Pit - smoky flavor was the prefect touch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I always joke that the City of Raleigh had to find someone from Wilson to cook good BBQ! Although Pitmaster Ed Mitchell is no longer there, the quality and flavor hasn't. Went with the combo Brisket and Chopped BBQ. The smoky flavor was the prefect touch. Lite vinegar based sauce, but not dripping with grease! The perfect mixture! Had the creamed corn and mac'n cheese for the side.. both were outstanding. Ordered the fried green tomatoes as an appetizer ... not bad, but nothing that would make you go "WOW" and would skip it next time. Wife had the chopped BBQ turkey. Fried okra was a little too salty for her taste. Thumbs up again with the creamed corn.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

South Burlington, Vermont
“If BBQ is your thing this is your place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

First time Id been there was last evening so many things to choose from we opt for the family style table meal 19 a person unlimited appetizers entrees and desserts! Wow did we bring some leftovers home everything the meat cooked wonderfully the pumpkin bread w maple butter oh yum!!! A definite place to stop for fantastic food and will leave you waddling out the door!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Henderson, Nevada
“Meat Falls Off the Bone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My husband kept saying North Carolina is known for its ribs so we needed to find a restaurant that has ribs. Just so happened I picked up a Raleigh magazine and there was a section about restaurants. There was The Pit and how it was on the Travel Channel, the Food Channel and Zagat. It was close to where we already were so PERFECT we just headed that way. Parking in that area is a bugger but The Pit has complimentary valet parking ... again, perfect. We really lucked out cause we beat the after-work crowd ... we got seated right away. I explained to the waitress that we wanted ribs and wanted her recommendation. She said the Carolina Ribs were challenged against the ribs Bobby Flay cooked and the Carolina Ribs won. Of course we had to try that. But before we ordered, my husband saw the "family style" offering ... two appetizers, two entrees with one side and one dessert ($19.99 each person). You eat what you order and if you want more, they will bring you more. So it's all you can eat.

Appetizers ... BBQ Soul Roll and Fried Green Tomatoes. The BBQ Soul Roll is like a Chinese vegetable roll, only this one has pork and veggies. It is really delicious and the sauce is just an added deliciousness. Eversince I saw the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes", I've had fried green tomatoes maybe three times (not too enthused about fried stuff anymore) ... this was good.

Entrees ... Carolina Ribs and Chopped BBQ Pork. The Carolina Ribs were so good ... the meat fell off the bone. The taste was so yummy ... finger licking good. The Chopped BBQ Pork reminded me of Hawaii's Kalua Pig. It was good but I was never much of a Kalua Pork person. It's the sauce that made the difference. Again, yummy.

Dessert ... Double Layered Chocolate Cake. Yikes! It was huge. I'm not a dessert or chocolate eater but my husband said it was delicious. He couldn't eat it all.

My husband ordered another Carolina Rib. He only wanted one more rib but they brought him more than just one. He couldn't eat it all. Now I wish I had the ribs. We only could eat the initial stuff and that one additional rib. Okay, maybe we're "wooses" but at least we can say we ate the best ribs in North Carolina.

When we were leaving, there were a lot of people waiting. We smiled contently as we waddled out.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cary, North Carolina
“Good BBQ, Nice Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My friends and I had finished the Raleigh 70.3 triathlon earlier in the day and needed to refuel ourselves. Protein is always a necessary ingredient so we thought The Pit would be a good choice to fill up.

My wife and I arrived before our friends did on a Sunday afternoon. Even though the restaurant wasn't busy we were told we wouldn't be seated until our entire party arrived -- always an annoyance, especially when there are plenty of open tables. However we sat in the bar and had a nice microbrew while we waited. The bar waitress was very attentive and quick to serve us.

Our friends arrived about five minutes later so we moved to the dining area. (So we had to settle up at the bar, instead of just settling it all at once if we had been seated initially -- again, just a minor annoyance.)

Once seated our wait staff took care of us. They have a three-waiter system so we never went more than a few minutes without someone checking in on us.

Our friends ordered the bacon bruschetta for an appetizer while we ordered the pumpkin cornbread. Both were excellent.

Most if not all of us ordered the beef brisket platter. As I said, we needed protein after our event. I got the mac-and-cheese and baked beans for my sides. The mac was good, the beans were ok (I was expecting BBQ beans, these were not). The brisket with BBQ sauce was quite good and a very large helping. There were four large strips of brisket on my plate, I only ate one and took the rest home, making another meal or two out of it.

I wouldn't call this a destination restaurant for me, one I would plan to make a night of. But if my friends said, "Hey let's meet at The Pit" I'd be ok with that.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pikeville, North Carolina
“A must try when in the area!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were in town for the weekend and the lady at the hotel told us about this place and we sure are glad she did! Me and the wife are their new biggest fans because not only was the food amazing but everything about this place was from the service of 3 waiters down to just the smell of the place when u walk in let's u know that u have arrived somewhere different. I had the meatloaf and my wife had the pulled pork with great sides and the best hush puppies my wife said she has ever had and I will have to agree. Sure am glad the lady pointed is in the direction of this place and we will be back next time in town no doubt!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere