“one of our favorites” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pit is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 1,130 Restaurants in Raleigh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dawson Street
Transit: The R-line stops right in front of the restaurant!
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“one of our favorites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Pit is classic southern style "barbecue" vinegar and red style fare. It smells wonderful when you walk in and the food really delivers nicely. Service is team style and it is seamless, staff is very pleasant and attentive. Always good ! Try the 2 or 3 part combo plates. Recommend reservations on busy nights or plan on at least 60 minute wait time

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Richmond, Virginia
“Out-of-Towners Look Elsewhere for "Authentic Barbecue"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I grew up in an area where there was a smoker and BBQ stand on every corner. I can tell you this BBQ is not good (at least on the night we were there). The Pit is like a local, upscale version of Applebees. Cocktail and craft beer selection is awesome! The environment is great: social, good layout, well decorated, and clean. It's a comfortable place to meet friends for drinks and maybe get some food. About the BBQ: everything was overcooked, dry, had little flavor. We tried the Big Boy Combo with brisket, chopped pork, two styles of ribs, and chicken. The Carolina ribs were the best of the plate. BBQ beans were delicious. Banana pudding not award winning but a good finish to a disappointing meal. Service was very good - friendly and fast. Total for one entree, one extra side, and desert without alcohol was $41. If The Pit didn't make the claim to be "authentic" BBQ I may rate the experience higher but because of the market position of being all about the BBQ I have to say it's "poor". Don't go here for BBQ.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Great bbq”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

First, they have complimentary valet parking, so don't miss out. The place is warm and cozy. The fried pimento cheese app was wonderful, along with the greens bruchetta. Beware though, they come around with a huge basket of light and fluffy biscuits and hush puppies, you might be full even before your meal arrives. We had the baby back ribs, fried chicken, meatloaf, pulled pork for our entrees. All of it was wonderful. We all had mashed potatoes with gravy and sauteed lake with bacon. I've never had lake before and I think I may now be spoiled! The atmosphere was wonderful, truely and upscale bbg joint, which I didn't think existed. The waitstaff was very accomodating, warm and welcoming. We will definately return the next time we're in Raleigh.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Attentive and friendly staff, good food - but mixed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Let me preface this by saying I love BBQ of all kinds and have been to the Pit 4x this year; my first trip was a dinner trip with a group and we had a great meal and wonderful time - staff was great and overly accommodating and added to the experience. I had the pork and brisket with pimento cheese ball appetizers...that single experience was great enough for me to have this on my must list in Raleigh. My 2nd dinner experience I strayed from BBQ and ordered the fried chicken based on the waitstaff's recommendation - it is by far the best fried chicken I've ever had; who knew that a place known for their BBQ would actually be overshadowed by their fried chicken? I'm serious - it was that good.

However, I've had a mixed experience during my 2 lunch visits...the staff was not an issue at all - but the food wasn't the same, I wondered if maybe I was getting food from the evening before simply reheated in a microwave. If my first experience was like my lunch experience, I'm not sure I would have returned...in fairness to the Pit, both lunch visits were very early in the lunch crowd and maybe they hadn't hit their groove in the day yet.

Regardless of the experience, if you want either great BBQ choices or awesome Fried Chicken...the Pit should be on your list.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Place To Have Thanksgiving Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Went to the Pit for the first time on Thanksgiving Day to avoid cooking. The family style service was a great choice for our family on this holiday. We tried A LOT of different kinds of food. Meat, sides, desserts. Everything was delicious! The pulled pork and ribs were among the best I have ever had. The pumpkin cheese cake was heaven on a plate. If you ever want to direct somebody to a good, real NC BBQ place . . . This is it. Comfortable atmosphere, too. The only problem for us was we sat a long time between courses but the restaurant was busy and this was their first crack at Thanksgiving so I would definitely do it again and try their regular menu soon.

• Visited November 2012