“OK, but not authentic” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pit is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 1,236 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dawson Street
Transit: The R-line stops right in front of the restaurant!
North Carolina
“OK, but not authentic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Let me first explain that I search out and love North Carolina BBQ. This is the place you go to impress visitors with how cool a BBQ place can be. Not that it's bad but it isn't the real NC BBQ deal ... My pulled pork was dry and my two co-diners did not finish their ribs or their too heavily battered onion rings. The place was jammed so maybe the kitchen was off ... Whatever! If you are in a nearby hotel it's good but not worth a long drive to it.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Unbelevialble Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Found this restraunt on Trip Advisor. The food was outstanding. Everything was cooked fresh. The staff was friendly and went over the top to serve you. Prices were great. Very clean. You got alot of food for your money. We were seated right away. I would eat their again on my next trip to Raleigh. It was the best meal we had all weekend.

Visited November 2012
Mid-west USA
“Don't get all the hype...food was OK, but not worth long line wait”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Heard about this place and just moved to Raleigh, so we thought "let's go."
Saw the crowds and wait and decided to pull out cell and just order food to go. Tried a bit of everthing and ribs were just OK, nothing to slap your mama about or even write home about...Good thing they checked the order before bagging it up as they'd forgotten 2 entrees...The ambience is nice for socializing and watching games. Lots of larger parties seemed to be enjoying venue and large portions. Bar was packed with single folks noshing and watching sports. Will have to dine in and see what the hype is all about. Neighborhood has other restaurants and quaint shops so if there's a wait, you can wander. Maybe I'm missing something....

Visited August 2012
Loveland, Colorado
“OK but will look elsewhere next time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I did a search and found varied opinions on this place. First, I have to say I seek out Barbecue wherever I travel and make a point to try what I find. In this case the service was very good from the host staff to the waiters and manager. I think they made a great effort to assure we had a good experience. The group I was with had other items and indicated they had good meals. I, on the other hand, was disappointing with my ribs. While very meaty and thick, the ribs were terribly dry and I had to find whatever sauce was available to try to compensate. I have never had to wash down ribs before so this was a new experience for me. The sauces were mediocre as well. I would absolutely try this place again but will seek out other barbecue on my next visit to Raleigh. The prices were very reasonable for the setting.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Swansboro, North Carolina
“Great pre-game meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

we planned a trip from the NC coast for a Canes hockey game and had heard about The Pit in Our State Magazine. After bringing up the website, we made reservations online quickly and easily. Little did we know it was the best move we could have made. We arrived at our appointed time and were escorted right to our table; past what seemed like several hundred people waiting in line. The meal was unbelievable. Between the 4 of us we had a large variety of the menu and everything was superb. Somehow we squeezed in dessert; another good move. The service was spot on and we ate ourselves silly and headed to the game. Great food, great service, reasonable prices. and the Cane's won. Perfect night. Have heard from several other friends we mentioned it too and they all had the same great experience.

• Visited February 2012