“Good Eastern BBQ” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pit is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 1,235 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dawson Street
Transit: The R-line stops right in front of the restaurant!
High Point, NC
“Good Eastern BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

I was in the area so I dropped by to take my son to dinner. The Pit had been recommended to me by several folks that had eaten here and my son had also heard good things about the restaurant (he is a student so he usually has to eat really cheap unless we take him out). We were also looking for a place that was open relatively early for dinner as I was coming by around 4 and he had not eaten all day and was starved. The place is a little off the beaten path and we had to find street parking but we were early and that was not too difficult. We were seated after just a few minutes wait and the service staff was excellent. We told our waitress that it was out first visit and she was very helpful with explaining items on the menu and helping us with recommendations. My son started with a sausage and turkey gumbo that he said was very good and the biscuits and hush puppies that they brought to the table were excellent. We had chopped barbecue (with eastern sauce which should be the preferred sauce) and ribs. The plates also came with two sides. The sweet potato fries were addictive (as the waitress warned) and the black-eyed peas for me and the macaroni for my son were both very good. The portions were also very good and we left stuffed. Plates ranged from about $12 to $22. I should also mention that they had a good set of beers on tap (along with mixed drinks and wine) and you could get relatively small glasses to sample the different offerings. The "big bad baptist ?" was a good dark beer. Overall it was a wonderful experience with good food and a good atmosphere and we will be going back sometime soon.

Troy, New York
“Unexpected "Pit" Stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

On the way to Raleigh Durham Airport our son wanted us to check out a restaurant that none of us have ever been to. We were quite surprised upon seeing the building that it could be so spacious and pleasant inside. The menu offered a more than enough options from appetizer to dessert as well as soft beverages, beer and wine. The portions were very generous to the point that we found that we couldn't think of topping the meal off with desset. Prices were very reasonable especially for the quaity of the food served.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tomahawk, Wisconsin
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Seen this restaurant on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives so we thought we would check it out. Good food, excellent service. I would go back.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Colorado
“Classic NC BBQ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

In town for a conference I sought this place out because I am a fan of BBQ and NC is one of the 4 or 5 classic American BBQ types. I hit the place on Saturday night and it was jumping but I got seated right away at the bar. The bar staff beats any floor show in town. Good beer on tap and prompts service with good BBQ served with the traditional sides, including fried okra done right.
Sauces included the traditional NC vinegar based type as well as the more western tomato style; try them both. High on my list if I am ever in Raleigh again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Largo, Florida
“Large Crowds Well Deserved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We drove to the restaurant on a Saturday around noon, and were surprised to find a large gathering of people lined up to be seated. We visited a nearby museum and returned at about 1:30 and were seated immediately. The southern bar-b-que was delicious and well worth the inconvenience. We were very glad we returned, and now understand why the crowds were so large. The menu is varied and the service was excellant. The restaurant is not overly impressive from the outside, but the experience was unusually pleasing.

• 5 of 5 stars Food