When I got to the hotel, I was surprised that there was only one person at the front desk doing registration (another person was there to address Hilton HHonors questions). In any event, the front desk staff was very friendly and courteous.
I stayed at this hotel on business. Specifically, I needed to get to the NCSU State campus. Fortunately, I was told that there are shuttles which go to the NCSU State campus at the Bell Tower along Hillsborough Street. The Belltower is located just a few blocks away in the 2100 block of Hillsborough Street. You exit the hotel and turn left and walk just a few blocks until you see the Bell Tower. (There is metal railing along the way that lines the sidewalk.) I found it a bit intimidating having to cross what seemed like a pretty busy road with no "walk" light, but fortunately the drivers were generally very nice once they saw you trying to cross the street. One tip, though: make sure you know (preferably in advance) which Wolf Line route number you want to take and make sure that you are standing where the "Wolf Life" bus stop sign is (instead of the city bus). I had to take Wolf Line Route 8 which seemingly ran every 6-minutes or so. (You enter the bus/shuttle through the front door and exit using the rear door.) (You may have heard or read that NCSU State has limited parking. If the shuttle is an option for you at all, my suggestion is that you take it.)
In terms of the room on the 7th floor, I found it clean and adequate for the most part. The one thing that I did not like was the odd mechanism to operate the shower. It was difficult for me to figure out what was hot and what was cold and to get to the right temperature. Another thing, too, about the room: I had a hair dryer that shorted on me (not pleasant at all, especially since it arced). (Fortunately, I was not burned by it, nor did it come in contact with any clothing which I was wearing.) (I called the front desk to request that I get a replacement hair dryer. It was before 8AM and I was told that housekeeping did not arrive until 8AM, but that I would get a replacement anyway. To my surprise, 15-minutes before 8AM (less than 10-minutes from when I called), I received a new hairdryer for the room. That was very nice.) (Incidentally, I also came back to the room in the evening and found out that the hair dryer was replaced again with another one that seemed new. (I had to take the plastic covering off of the plug.) The hair dryer worked just fine.)
The room was quiet and the bed was comfortable. One thing that the room did lack, however, was a safe. I was surprised because many of the other hotels I had stayed in did have a safe in the room. So, I took my laptop with me just about everywhere I went.
The hotel does have an exercise room on the ground floor. It is very small, but typical for your hotel exercise room with some cardio equipment, medicine balls, and a Nautilus-style machine. There is a YMCA next door. (Ask the front desk and they can give you a pass to it.) (I did not try the YMCA out.)
The restaurant at the hotel is extremely small, but quiet. The service is very slow. The menu selections are very limited. (But, for what it is worth, the cooking is decent.) I was happy, though, to get multiple refills on soda at no charge.
The business center is just a few computers and a printer. Interestingly, you can also remotely print to the printer using a web-specific Printeron URL or e-mail it to a certain e-mail adress and obtain a "release code" to print your documents. The printer worked well. But, I did have to ask the front desk a few times for paper as the printer always seemed to run out of paper midway through my print job.
You can purchase a few snacks and soft drinks (and water) from the front desk.
Some general observations: I found the hotel, its surroundings, and NCSU State campus to be extremely safe. Also, there is a cluster of restaurants and other stores/shops just a few blocks down Hillsborough (probably a half-mile further down past the Belltower).
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Raleigh Brownstone - University Hotel
- Doubletree By Hilton Raleigh Brownstone - University Hotel Raleigh
- Holiday Inn Brownstone
- Holiday Inn Raleigh
- Raleigh Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the newly remodeled Doubletree by Hilton Raleigh - Brownstone University. Whether you are visiting for business at North Carolina State University (2 blocks), the Research Triangle Park(8 miles), the new Raleigh Convention Center and Downtown Business District(1.5 miles), or you're here for a leisurely stay to attend an event at the RBC Center, Time Warner Pavilion at Walnut Creek, Progress Energy Center for the Performing Arts, State Fairgrounds, or a visit to one of our three museums in downtown Raleigh (Art, Science, History), we can offer you the best balance of location, convenience, and value. With features like a new, modern spacious lobby, brand new guestrooms for 2012, a new restaurant and bar and all new fitness center by Precor along with an expanded business center,we have everything you need to insure a pleasant and productive stay. Best of all, you can walk to more than 20 different restaurants and nearly 100 shops at Cameron Village(a historic, upscale, outdoor walking mall), ride the train, paddleboats or play on the playground at the all new Pullen Park or take advantage of all the businesses and restaurants on Hillsborough Street across from NC State University's campus-each of these is less than .5 miles from the hotel. Come see why Raleigh was again listed as 'One of the best cities to live and work in' by Forbes Magazine in 2012 and why the all new Doubletree by Hilton Raleigh Brownstone University is the best place to stay to be in the center of it all; and please don't forget that parking and internet are always free! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Tingo, Hilton Hotels, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh - Brownstone - University reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.