“Good Hotel -- room on 7th Floor (HHonors Level)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh - Brownstone - University

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh - Brownstone - University to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh - Brownstone - University
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1707 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC 27605   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 20%
Ranked #22 of 80 hotels in Raleigh
Pittsburgh, PA
“Good Hotel -- room on 7th Floor (HHonors Level)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

When I got to the hotel, I was surprised that there was only one person at the front desk doing registration (another person was there to address Hilton HHonors questions). In any event, the front desk staff was very friendly and courteous.

I stayed at this hotel on business. Specifically, I needed to get to the NCSU State campus. Fortunately, I was told that there are shuttles which go to the NCSU State campus at the Bell Tower along Hillsborough Street. The Belltower is located just a few blocks away in the 2100 block of Hillsborough Street. You exit the hotel and turn left and walk just a few blocks until you see the Bell Tower. (There is metal railing along the way that lines the sidewalk.) I found it a bit intimidating having to cross what seemed like a pretty busy road with no "walk" light, but fortunately the drivers were generally very nice once they saw you trying to cross the street. One tip, though: make sure you know (preferably in advance) which Wolf Line route number you want to take and make sure that you are standing where the "Wolf Life" bus stop sign is (instead of the city bus). I had to take Wolf Line Route 8 which seemingly ran every 6-minutes or so. (You enter the bus/shuttle through the front door and exit using the rear door.) (You may have heard or read that NCSU State has limited parking. If the shuttle is an option for you at all, my suggestion is that you take it.)

In terms of the room on the 7th floor, I found it clean and adequate for the most part. The one thing that I did not like was the odd mechanism to operate the shower. It was difficult for me to figure out what was hot and what was cold and to get to the right temperature. Another thing, too, about the room: I had a hair dryer that shorted on me (not pleasant at all, especially since it arced). (Fortunately, I was not burned by it, nor did it come in contact with any clothing which I was wearing.) (I called the front desk to request that I get a replacement hair dryer. It was before 8AM and I was told that housekeeping did not arrive until 8AM, but that I would get a replacement anyway. To my surprise, 15-minutes before 8AM (less than 10-minutes from when I called), I received a new hairdryer for the room. That was very nice.) (Incidentally, I also came back to the room in the evening and found out that the hair dryer was replaced again with another one that seemed new. (I had to take the plastic covering off of the plug.) The hair dryer worked just fine.)

The room was quiet and the bed was comfortable. One thing that the room did lack, however, was a safe. I was surprised because many of the other hotels I had stayed in did have a safe in the room. So, I took my laptop with me just about everywhere I went.

The hotel does have an exercise room on the ground floor. It is very small, but typical for your hotel exercise room with some cardio equipment, medicine balls, and a Nautilus-style machine. There is a YMCA next door. (Ask the front desk and they can give you a pass to it.) (I did not try the YMCA out.)

The restaurant at the hotel is extremely small, but quiet. The service is very slow. The menu selections are very limited. (But, for what it is worth, the cooking is decent.) I was happy, though, to get multiple refills on soda at no charge.

The business center is just a few computers and a printer. Interestingly, you can also remotely print to the printer using a web-specific Printeron URL or e-mail it to a certain e-mail adress and obtain a "release code" to print your documents. The printer worked well. But, I did have to ask the front desk a few times for paper as the printer always seemed to run out of paper midway through my print job.

You can purchase a few snacks and soft drinks (and water) from the front desk.

Some general observations: I found the hotel, its surroundings, and NCSU State campus to be extremely safe. Also, there is a cluster of restaurants and other stores/shops just a few blocks down Hillsborough (probably a half-mile further down past the Belltower).

452 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

The windows out at least from the first floor are directly by the parking lot. Every door closing every beep-beep to turn the car off and on is like it is happening IN your room. Every interior door and house cleaning sound carries through the walls. You won't get a good nights sleep here. Also there isn't a shuttle from the airport and it cost 35 dollars for a can ride each way. So add 70$ to your total fee.

I haven't even left the hotel yet and I'm writing this!! 2 more nights booked if only I could refund I'd move to a different hotel.

On a positive note the staff is friendly and the space is very clean.

• Stayed November 2013
bill_winn, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh - Brownstone - University, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
We’re sorry that we didn’t provide you with a rewarding experience during your recent stay at our hotel. Your satisfaction is very important to us, and we appreciate your feedback about the noise and thin walls. Your comments will help us correct these issues and we hope you’ll consider staying with us again the next time you’re in the area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

We recently selected this location for our 20th high school class reunion. It was a long journey from planning to party but we couldn't have done it without the help of the experienced team in sales, banquet, and catering. Heather B., Derek, and Grace helped us every step of the way with tips to make the most out of our budget, to offering encouraging words of wisdom working within a committee. We enjoyed two nights of events--a cocktail mixer at the Bistro on Friday followed by our banquet dinner/dance on Saturday and a farewell breakfast on Sunday in the Restaurant. Amazing food, outsanding banquet service, and the most beautiful and relaxing rooms to soothe you right to sleep after a great party. Thank you for being a part of wonderful memories. This hotel comes with my highest recommendation.

• Stayed November 2013
Georgetown, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Business trip, stayed two nights at Double Tree. When the reservation was made we requested a king room but upon arrival we was told no king beds available had to settle with double beds. Staff friendly and very helpful. Hotel nice and clean and our room was nice. Had to turn the heat off due to it is controlled by the hotel not by individual room. Room was to hot!! Enjoyed the hotel bar had drinks both nights, nice atmosphere. I used the hotel gym for my workout, to small and way to HOT!

Apex, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

My wife and I worked with Derek and the staff at Doubletree to provide a room block for our recent wedding. Not only were they affordable, the service was exceptional and the rooms were very clean and the beds were very comfortable. You also can't beat the location. We will definitely return soon when we have a night out on the town.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I recently held a two-day conference about half a mile from the DoubleTree Brownestone. I contacted the hotel about rooms for my conference participants, and Derek Allen provided exceptional service. Over a seven month period working with Derek, he was always quick to respond to my inquiries and requests. It's obvious that Derek's priority is customer service. It was a pleasure working with him.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is my third time staying at the Brownstone since it turned over to a DoubleTree. My previous review was positive all around, this time no so much.

I arrived after dark in the midst of a strong rain storm...I thought that perhaps the hotel had lost power as ALL the outside lights were turned off making it VERY dark...no...they just hadn't been turned on and when I mentioned it and had to then unload my car, they STILL weren't turned on!

While my room included breakfast (and I had paperwork to prove it thankfully) the desk clerk was not familiar with the rate code and held me at the desk for 10 minutes trying to find documentation on her computer that indeed breakfast was included...she actually said, 'I'm not going to give you a hard time on this" but continued to search her computer and hold me up for several minutes more.

The rooms were redone in becoming a DoubleTree, but some attention needs to be made for the beds. Our bottom sheet was torn, and there is no mattress cover or pad, just a tear to the exposed foam mattress. Our sheet weren't changed on the second day, we we slept with direct exposure to a raw foam mattress -- pretty ugly and the idea of what was on that mattress was disgusting.

The one bright spot was the food service team -- the bar ladies were good and made a light dinner enjoyable and the breakfast team were very good as well.

Prices at the Brownstone have doubled since becoming a DoubleTree -- now they need to double down on training and cleanliness.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh - Brownstone - University? Share your experiences!