“lovely food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Gloucestershire
“lovely food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Last night we decided to have a "quick" supper at our local hostelry. My husband and I shared a very sixties dish of avocado with prawns, which was delicious not only was the avocado perfectly ripe but the prawns were not too cold and had a really good marie rose sauce on them. My only gripe, if you had to find one, was that the dish was sprinkled with chopped parsley which added nothing. Next course we both had fillet of venison with a red currant and port sauce which was tasty, succulent in fact perfect in every way. It was one of those meals that in 12 months time I will still be saying "remember that venison". It always has been a friendly pub and extremely dog and child friendly and I love to recommend it to people who stay in my holiday cottage but it really heartening when you know that the food it still great. I think Jo Archer and her brigade are doing an excellent job.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bangor, Northern Ireland
“Great food in a lovely location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

This pub is located in the village of Naunton, about 4 miles from Stow-on-the-wold. We stayed in the village for a week and the pub was recommended to us for their food. It is a small village pub and probably not somewhere I would have tried of my own accord but I have to say that they produced the best food that we had during our holiday. All reasonably priced too. We ate there on three nights of our week's stay. On the first night I had the fish and chips and my husband had the pie of the day. Beautiful! The next night I had a sirloin steak and hubby had the fish & chips. Our last night there we both had steaks as mine had been so good the night before! Absolutely delicious!!
We had dinner one night in another well advertised pub in a nearby village and the food was nowhere near the standard of the Black Horse Inn. Wish we had a pub like this near home!

• Visited July 2011