“Very charming” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Pittsboro B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Very charming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I recently stayed at this charming little inn for a business trip, but if I had it to do over, I would have planned to stay an extra day or 2 as I fell in love with this hotel. The room was clean and lovely- and had all of the amenities of a luxury resort. the shops were very cute and the breakfast in the restaurant was fantastic. The grounds were just beautiful- but especially lovely at night with the twinkle lights hanging from the trees. I can see returning for an anniversary weekend or a special get-away. My only improvement would be to have coffee in the guestrooms- I like my first cup BEFORE I get dressed in the morning. Other than that, I had a perfect stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
FearringtonVillage, General Manager at The Fearrington House Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate the kind words.

We will review your request for coffee machines in the room for possible inclusion in the future but in the meantime, just give us a call at the Inn recpetion and we will make sure you have a nice cup of hot coffee in your room when you get up.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Fearrington in the near future.

Theresa Chiettini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
WashingtonDC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Fearrington House Inn for one night as we were driving from DC to Atlanta, and overall I felt it was a nice getaway (in the middle of nowhere) with a very substandard breakfast.

My partner and I really enjoy the Relis & Chateaux group of hotels, which is how we found Fearrington Inn. We arrived late in the night, so we unfortunately missed the opportunity to wander the grounds. The grounds of the hotel were very nice by the old historic inn. There was a sense of classic luxury, not overwhelming but just simple touches around the property that made us feel welcome.

Our room was in one of the newer buildings down the road from the check-in, which was kind of random. I felt that I was at a timeshare property with with all these condominiums filled with room. That wasn't a great feeling. The room itself was actually very nice. We had already had turndown service, and there was fresh fruit and some port for us, as well as some small snacks. The room and bathroom were large, which is what I would expect if an R&C property were to expand like this.

Because we missed teatime, the manager offered us a drink and snack at the hotel bar, which was very nice. I know that the Fearrington Inn has an R&C Grand Chef, but unfortunately we arrived too late to eat there. We stayed at the bar area for our drink, and the sommelier and the rest of the staff there were very nice and chatted us up. The specialty cocktails on the menu there were absolutely great, and the cheese platter was huge and filled with local cheeses. I really wanted to go to the restaurant, but we had to leave early the next morning.

The one major issue I had with the Fearrington Inn was the very substandard quality of the breakfast. Rated against a Hilton Garden Inn or a DoubleTree, it wasn't that bad, but from an R&C property with a Grand Chef, it was just plain not good. The breakfast options were normal breakfast foods, such as granola pancakes or eggs Benedict. I got the crab frittata, which was boring and they're only about two pieces of crap in it. My partner got the eggs Benedict, which was also boring and rather tasteless. The amuse bouche they offered were never cleared, and we had to ask them to clear our plates of the entree as well. Both the service and the food was bad at breakfast.

Overall, the Fearrington Inn was nice, but not as "quaint" as I would have liked. The layout of the hotel (if you are not staying in the old inn section) has a corporate and timeshare feel to it, unfortunately. I would deifnitely return to try out the dinner, but I would go elsewhere for breakfast. (Hopefully there are different cooks for the different services!) As a hotel in North Carolina, I'd say it's 4 stars (which is why i will rate it as such), but as a Relais & Chateaux property, I'd say it's around a 2.7.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate your feedback and are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us eventhough it was a little short.

I have reviewed your comments on breakfast offerings and service with our Chef and also our Restaurant Manager and can assure you that these issues will be addressed.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to the possibility of welcoming you back to Fearrington again in the near future.

St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Having travelled a good deal and been fortunate to stay in some very nice places, I feel compelled to offer this review of the Fearrington, which easily surpassed all expectations during a recent stay.

Not only are the grounds and the building immaculate at this property, with beautifully tended gardens, and a very well cared for Inn, but the staff are really top-notch, almost everyone warm, friendly, and congenial, leaving the impression that there is nothing they would not have done to facilitate the best possible stay.

Dinner in the Fearrington Inn's fine dining restaurant is exemplary, with the chef graciously accommodating sensitivities, the wait staff unfailingly professional and helpful, and the five-star host from Holland gracious and warm at every moment. Returning for dinner a second time was not enough during my short stay.

Rooms at the Inn are incredible, with an old-style charm that I cannot find much any longer despite trying. My hope is that the lovely, rich fabrics and traditional feel are maintained at this classic inn indefinitely, as Fearrington has carved out a niche that cannot be replicated in today's world of increasingly cold, generic, contemporary accommodations. If only there were more Fearrington's out there - travel would always be top-notch.

Highly recommend Fearrington without hesitation - I would return again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for the staff to help you select based on your preferences - staff have a good feel for the room...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate the kind comments.

We have recently started to renovate our Inn rooms to give them a little more updated feel but can promise that the charm of the property will still be reflected in decor as a country retreat.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Fearrington in the near future.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have stayed at the Fearrington House before, so I know the lovely experience awaiting me this weekend. Saying that, I was reminded today when speaking with Solidad in reservations how important it is to have someone receptive and interested in your needs when planning accomodations. By the close of our conversation, she was aware that this is a special family night and made sure I was informed of weekend events and that she was available to help with anything we need. It really was delightful as that just does not seem to be the norm anymore.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Having arrived at the fearrington entrance, we missed the sign to the Inn at thye cows paddock and went for a spin around the adjacent wooded settlement. A pair of inquisitive deer gave us the once over as we took their photographs and a rabbit popped his head up to see what was happening. Having located the Inn, we were shown to room 3, a lovely 2 room plus bathroom suite centrally located near the small centre of boutique shops, books, clothes, deli etc. Check in and check out was very efficient and access to a printer readily provided. Although there was a little road noise from the nearby main road, it was generally blissfully quiet. The restaurant was closed, it being Tuesday, so we ate in the granary, a bistro style eatery which provided a reasonable asparagus soupy thing to my wife and fish and chips for me. Maybe its only the British who really know how to get the best out of fish and chips. The entire place is charming. Had the restaurant been open, i would probably have given it a higher rating because everything else was excellent.

Room Tip: Room 3 is huge
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Merida, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Once again this inn and restaurant have made our stay a memorable one. It has been several years in between, but the Fearrington House has held it's beauty and charm like a fine aged wine. There was more to discover as they have added several new attractions. We took the opportunity to enjoy a relaxing massage in the new spa. There is always something happening for foodies like us ...such as the "Taste of Thai" event we attended.
The wine cellar is outstanding and the restaurant if Five Star. Enjoy a suite and a bed you may never want to leave. Top of the hill in my book.
Take a walk through the fantastic gardens on your way to a cozy breakfast in the garden dining room...this is true luxury !

Room Tip: Our suite was located on the end of several suites and had a great outdoor private patio.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Over a dozen stays, and Fearrington House Inn continues to amaze, surprise and impress me! From the luxurious accommodations, to the wonderful staff, to the food and beverage, spa and shopping options - this is a must stop for anyone traveling to or through North Carolina. My favorite part? Once you are there - there is no need to leave for ANYTHING! A great place to base yourself for a week of business in the region or a long, relaxing weekend. Just wonderful! I am already planning my next visit.

Room Tip: After multiple visits and numerous rooms, I have never had a "bad" room or poor location...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Fearrington House Inn? Share your experiences!