“OH SO GOOD” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue, Hamburgers
Pittsboro, North Carolina, United States
“OH SO GOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Best Bar-B-Que around, PLUS delicious Burgers, Fries & Fish. Closed on Mondays & accept cash only. There's an ATM inside the dinning room, but it's fun watching first timers dig in their pockets & purses for cash so they can eat this wonderful BBQ

Visited July 2013

Delmar, New York
“Great BBQ in a rustic setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We went for dinner on the Memorial Day weekend while visiting family in the Research Triangle area. While the place was hopping, there was no wait for a table. It is obvious that they turn the tables over quickly.

The location and building is something I would not have given a second look to, except the GPS was telling me we reached our destination. Rustic is one way to put it. I have Ben to restaurants like this in western NY and the Adirondacks and the food was just as suprizingly good.

The BBQ is fantastic. The seasoning was just as it was described - vinegar and flavor, but not the thick tomato based sauces of elsewhere. The hushpuppies were tasty and crispy, and the onion rings were some of the best I have ever had.

Two items were somewhat disappointing - with their limited menu, they were out of ribs, so ll had o settle for the BBQ platter. There was plenty. The other downer were the soggy French fries.

I would definitely go again, but earlier in the day, so I can have the ribs.

Visited May 2013
Twickenham
“Ok if your passing but not worth a special trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Service wasn't great that may have been because we arrived just before closing. The Ribs were good but I wouldn't go out of my way again to eat here however if passing would consider it.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Calabasas, California
“Best Carolina BBQ!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Over the years, I've visited Allen & Son's at least once during any visit to my family back east. Now, no trip to North Carolina is complete without a meal here. I love the food and simplicity of this place! There's nothing fancy about this place, just good food served fast in a large dinning room where you might share a table with some neighbors. Locals can walk up to the window for fast service and food on the go but we choose to go around the side, through the screen door for sit-down service and home style fun. The decor is sparse but you won't notice. You'll be focused on a huge plate of pulled pork, seasoned to perfection with a side order of cole slaw and some of the best hush puppy corn fritters I've ever tasted. It's BBQ bliss! But don't tell anyone. I don't want the secret to get out...

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh/Durham
“One Way To Lose A Customer!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We were about 30 minutes out driving back to Durham from Sanford and we all decided on Allen & Sons for dinner. Always enjoyed eating the slightly spicy vinegar based BBQ here. We got there and ordered up. As soon as we ordered my wife pointed out the sign that said "In God We Trust!, All Others Pay Cash" and then we saw another sign that said Cash Only. I then noticed the ATM by the entry door and figured that would take care of the no cash on hand problem. My wife then pointed out that the ATM said Out of Service on the screen. I then jumped up and told the waitress to hold everything as we had no cash and the ATM was out of service. She promptly stated " oh I can put more cash in it, don't worry". So we went ahead with our order. The food was good and we enjoyed it once again.

Upon checkout I went to the ATM to get cash and I was notified that Allen & Sons would be extracting a $3 fee for me to get cash did I wish to proceed? Well I had no choice at this point so I went ahead with the transaction and paid the bill and left a tip.

I did not appreciate the extra fee and the fact that a credit card or debit card was welcome at their ATM but not at their cash register. I had no choice at that time but now I do and i will go elsewhere from now on.

• Visited February 2013