“Innovative/Updated Low Country Carolina Southern” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 42 Restaurants in Pinehurst
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dayton, OH
“Innovative/Updated Low Country Carolina Southern”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

I really enjoyed the choices. Traditional low-country Carolina dishes updated with a modern flair. I had she crab soup, shrimp & grits. The shrimp & grits came with some crab rangoons, that were won-tons with real crab meat inside - delectable. Very good restaurant. I wouldn't hesitate to eat there again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Asheville, North Carolina
“Unforgettable evening at the 1895 Grille.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

Enjoyed dinner on the 4th of July at the 1895 Grille in the Holly Inn in the Pinehurt Resort.

Excellent Service, Great Food and now a new family tradition for the 4th.

Best Restaurant in the area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, FL
“Good food and servers, but watch out for the hostess”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2008

My husband and I were recently on vacation in Pinehurst and decided to eat at the 1895 Grille, since it was the only 4-star restaurant in the area. The food was definitely above average- I don't know if I would have given it four stars, but maybe I'm just not a huge fan of the southern/homestyle fusion type menu they offered. Both of our servers, as well as our busser were professional and courteous. The service we received after being seated was definitely worthy of four stars.

However, watch out for the overzealous hostess! She obviously takes a little too much pride in the authority bestowed upon her by the Great Grille of 1895. My husband and I noted the dress code on the website (business casual) and both selected chinos for the evening. The woman asked three times if we were wearing jeans (the answer, oddly, didn't change from "no" the more she asked.) She actually reached down and felt the seam of my husband's slacks to ensure that they weren't denim. I was horrified. I've never seen such tackiness displayed by a hostess. Several times, she made excuses about our table not being ready (the restaurant was nearly empty... quite a shock at 8pm on a Friday night.)

She finally returned with the manager who, I assume must have determined that our pants were not, in fact, the dreaded denim, and we were seated. Hilariously enough, as we were walking to our table, another diner was getting up to leave... in a pair of levis!

I have no idea what it was about our outfits that offended her southern senses so. In my favorite Dior shoes and Max Azria blouse, I hardly thought I looked the bum. My husband was wearing a nice Hugo Boss collared shirt and chinos. Judging by the rest of the diners, the appropriate selection is something from a 1980s Lacoste collection, with maybe some ancient fake Chanel thrown in. Whatever the unwritten rules of ugly are here, I'd recommend asking about them first unless you want to go through the same headache we did.

Southern Pines, North Carolina
“1895 may be the best in pinehurst”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2006

1895 Room may be the best restaurant in the area, nice combination of decor, cukinary delights and friendly staff.