“I have never been so insulted.” 2 of 5 stars

The Carolina - Pinehurst Resort
80 Carolina Vista Drive, Pinehurst, NC 28374   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Pinehurst
New York City, New York
“I have never been so insulted.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I recently stayed at the Pinehurst resort with six other individuals for a total of four rooms during the period of Saturday, September 1st through Monday, September 3rd. When deciding which type of room to book, since the Pinehurst website expressly holds that there are four room options at varying prices, including the Manor Inn, the Holly Inn, the Carolina, and the Villas, and pursuant to independent research conducted on our own behalf, we decided to book rooms at the Carolina and only the Carolina. The reservations were made approximately one month in advance and several conversations took place with Pinehurst representatives prior to our check in for such things as dinner reservations and spa reservations. But not once, during the month preceding our visit, did Pinehurst either directly or indirectly represent that it had the ability to unilaterally change the room that you would stay in for one of lesser value while keeping your money and charging you for the higher priced room.

My party checked in before I arrived at Pinehurst. Upon arrival I was notified by my party that everyone had been placed into a Villa, despite our request for and payment of bedrooms at the Carolina with king size beds. Instead we were all given rooms at the Villas each room having two double beds, which rooms were dingy and dark, had stained carpets, and rings around the bathtub. We also did NOT receive access to the common areas of the Villa.

I immediately proceeded to speak to the PM Manager Michael. I was patient and courteous and explained the situation and expected the matter to be taken care of swiftly. We were on our way to dinner and I had full faith in Pinehurst that they would remedy the situation immediately. Instead at approximately 10:30pm, while I was still at dinner at the 1895 Grille I received a call from Michael offering one room at the Carolina that did not have a good view and another room that had a maintenance issue. I was appalled that after we had paid for a Carolina room and after Pinehurst made the unilateral decision to bump our reservation to suit their own needs that all Pinehurst would offer us were rooms that they would never offer their other clientele.

I returned from dinner to speak with Michael, the PM Manager, only to learn that he had left for the evening and the evening staff had no idea who I was or what I was there for. Much to my dismay, when I returned that evening to speak with Michael three other Pinehurst guests were checking in and provided rooms at the Carolina -- how convenient or how is it possible I asked myself since I couldn't believe that Pinehurst would outright lie to its guests. Accordingly, we retreated to our dingy rooms in the Villa when we were supposed to be and paid for rooms at the Carolina. What was supposed to be a relaxing fun filled weekend with friends had already turned into a nightmare. Nonetheless, after a restless anxiety ridden sleepless night, I called and spoke with Katelyn, the AM Manager. Who, like Michael, did not have any authority to make any decisions and asked that I speak to Michael about the situation at 3PM. Therefore, another day passed as I waited for Michael to start his shift.

I then went to speak with Michael who finally directed me to Matt, apparently a Manager who could make decisions. I told Matt the sequence of events, that any reference to the Villas being an "upgrade" especially without access to the amenities at the Villa by which one could make a straight face argument of "upgrade", was not only an excuse but was a way of telling me, the guest, that I am wrong. Since Pinehurst was not making any accommodations to rectify the situation, it wasn't until 5pm on Sunday (before we checked out the next morning) that I told Matt that I expected to be reimbursed for the first night. Even that was with difficulty. I heard myself explaining to Matt that we are all educated professionals, doctors, lawyers, and engineers, to be specific, who had fully intended on paying for services Pinehurst offered, accepted, and agreed to provide, and now Pinehurst was not meeting their obligations and would not even consider reimbursing us without me having to explain myself (for a fourth time). To add insult to injury I was told by Pinehurst staff that they were appalled by what was happening and that Pinehurst has bent over backwards for a lot less (i.e. a hair dryer not working).

I traveled from New York City, where I am a lawyer and my boyfriend is a doctor, for a spa and golf getaway (not that this is important, but like I aforementioned, I found myself having to explain our occupations for Pinehurst to take our complaints seriously). All we received from Pinehurst was waiting and insults. Ultimately they credited at least our room, I cannot speak for everyone in my party as of yet, although I requested everyone linked to our reservation be appropriately reimbursed. Nonetheless, Matt, the Manager, was very specific that the only reimbursement that they would give would be for the accommodation and not for the entire first night that including additional amenities pursuant to the upgraded packages that we purchased. I told Matt we were not unreasonable people, nor were we looking for a free ride, considering the total cost to just the two of us to travel from NYC and stay specifically at Pinehurst for two evenings exceeded $2000.00, but that they were not living up to their end of the bargain and I wanted them to make it right. You would think that an establishment of this caliber would want to preserve its name and in order to do so would go above and beyond to accommodate its guests, not have its guests run around after them to fix their nightmare of a weekend, only to be reluctantly given a nominal reimbursement equivalent to a slap in the face with a clear expression that nothing more would be done (i.e. you are not our clientele and we do not cater to you).

Thank you Pinehurst for making what was supposed to be a wonderful weekend with friends into a nightmare and not even attempting, despite my numerous yet patient efforts to rectify this situation so that I would not need to sit here today, less than 24 hours since I left Pinehurst to complain. I would appreciate some clarification from a senior manager, owners or board member explaining to me how this situation could result: (1) your overbooking; (2) us having to chase you down after lodging our complaint; (3) not dealing with the situation for the entirety of our stay; and (4) having to explain myself, my position, my expectations on at least 4 different occasions. I travel regularly and stay at premium resorts regularly. Specifically, my travel just this year has included, Exuma, Turks & Caicos, Napa Valley, Italy, Cayman Islands and now Pinehurst. Even now, I leave with this, I look forward to your response.

If not response is received I warn guests, make sure you are getting what you paid for. Apparently Pinehurst thinks its appropriate to take your money and give you less than what you paid for.

Room Tip: Confirm in writing that you are receiving what you paid for. Note: the confirmation email stating t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
mchriscoe, Manager at The Carolina - Pinehurst Resort, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Pinehurst Resort is also disappointed in the experience and management resolution expressed. We are reviewing all of these concerns and will be addressing them directly with the guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Burlington, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I want to go every day. I love Pinehurst, the Carolina and the Spa. Amazing amazing and great deals in the off season as well as oversome Holidays. The service is exceptional and the entire experience is just lovely!

Room Tip: Ask for a room front facing for a great view
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Raleigh NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Carolina at Pinehurst Resort is an excellent venue for any kind of event. Most recently, our association held an annual conference there. We had 500 people stay for several nights in January 2012. We used every inch of meeting space. The space is beautiful, having been recently updated. The exhibit hall, while in a lower level, has been greatly improved in the last few years. Along with holding 60+ exhibits, we held breakfasts, refreshment breaks, and receptions there. The upstairs ballrooms functioned beautifully for luncheons and general sessions. I love the Cardinal Ballroom! The sleeping rooms were beautifully updated and comfortable. The lawns and plantings were still beautiful in mid-January. The sales and convention services staff are amongst the best I've ever worked with. They're a very impressive group of people and many of them have been with the Pinehurst Resort for many, many years. The one tricky part is traveling to and from the resort. It's not on the way to anywhere really....but it's a destination all its own. So glad to have been able to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool and putting green. They are a little further walk from the elevator...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This was our first time to pinehurst, and we will be back. We stayed at the condos by the lake, they are a little outdated, but the overall experience was great, its not the Ritz, but we werent expecting it either. The golf was great, especially NO.2, and NO.7 was the toughest. Friendliest people, this is a golf resort, and thats what they do. Clean, and comfortable, my wife used the spa, and was pleased, The breakfeast in the Carolina was more than expected, and a great choice every day. If you are looking for a luxury hotel, this is not the place, if you want a great golf resort, then welcome to PINEHURST.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

A great and affordably elegant getaway for a spa weekend. Everything about the trip was wonderful - the accommodations, the food, the staff, and the spa. You don't have to play golf or tennis to enjoy Pinehurst!

Room Tip: Don't feel like you have to stay in the main hotel. Everything is very close and The Holly and T...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Orlando
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We have just been to Pinehurst for the US Kids World Teen Championships, we stayed at the Condos, No 1222 the one we stayed in was outdated, not particularly clean, the equipment in the condo was old, and very cheap. Electricity would blow a fuse when using 2 appliances. The closet door came off the runner and the maintenance men were unable to fix it. The staff at the hotel and reception we good, but the staff on Pinehurst No 2 and 4 Course were very rude and very unhelpful, obviously, they were not happy that teenagers were playing on the course. Even though they were some of the top kids in the world!!! The greens were horrendous. Our experience was far from pleasurable and we will not be returning, for the price charged, I am sure there are far better golf course to play and spend money. They are definitely living on their name!!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not book a condo unless it has been refurbished within the last 12 months.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
mchriscoe, Manager at The Carolina - Pinehurst Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Pinehurst Resort is reviewing all of these concerns and will be addressing them directly with the guest.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend of golf with friends and had a wonderful time at this beautiful and historic hotel. The service is superb (when you pull in, they take your clubs and deliver them to each course that you play) both at the hotel and at the restaurant. The breakfast is buffet-style with an omelet station but it is the biggest breakfast buffet I have ever seen! Anything you could imagine wanting for breakfast is there. Dinner was substantial and wonderful as well and included in the golf package. There is even a gentleman playing piano during breakfast and dinner. The dining room is very large but comfortable. Our room was comfortable and spacious. Our trip was wonderful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Carolina - Pinehurst Resort? Share your experiences!