“Weekend stay on Ocracoke Island” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocracoke

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Ocracoke
Directions
Ocracoke, NC
Beaumont, Texas
“Weekend stay on Ocracoke Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2007

Stayed for a weekend in September and loved it. We stayed at Black Beards lodge, which was ok. The beach was beautiful and really gave you that secluded feeling. The town of Ocracoke is really interesting and fun to explore. Lots of shopping and some good places to eat as well. We are planning our next trip there!!! Don't forget to check out the horses while you are there.

Portsmouth, Ohio
“Quiet and Relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

My family and I have been going to Ocracoke every summer for years. We love it because it is so quiet and relaxing. You have to take a boat to get to it. Ther eare NO oceanfront motels on the island. That is okay, because you can drive your vehicle on the beach. Just load up your umbrella, fishing poles, and cooler, and drive down to the beach. their beaches are practically deserted. the sand is white and SUPER SOFT! The only bad thing, it is on the Atlantic- big, rough waves, and brown water. There are a couple really great places to eat on Ocracoke. This is not a tourist town. There is nothing to do except go out and eat and go to the beach. There are NO fast food restaurants there. (you can rent a boat from the marina and take it out fishing, that is fun.) You can rent bikes and there is an ice cream parlor in town.

Bel Air, Maryland
“Complete Relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2006

We have been going to Ocracoke Island now for 6 years. Every year it is the
one thing that my family and children get excited about. The kids feel such
freedom being able to ride their bikes to restaurants and shops and just playing for hours on the beach. We have always rented homes to stay in and have never had any complaints. I have gotten more exercise on these vacations then any
other time during the year. You won't feel guilty getting ice cream or the coconut cream pie from the Jolly Roger. The art galleries are wonderful and we always find a new item to fill our home with. The Fig Tree has excellent Deli meat and wonderful baked goods and you can even get bagged lunches.
There is a little produce stand across from the light house that has the BEST
tomatos. The ranger station has many activities for the family. Last year the children learned how to crab in the coves on the sound side of the island
near the ferries. Ocracoke is wonderful for getting away from everything else and being with family and friends.

Philadelphia PA
“Loved The Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2005

There hasn't been anyplace, before or after I was in Ocracoke, that I found more beautiful, and just a complete pleasure to visit and vacation at. The first time I was there was in 1990, and now my children who are 12 and 13 years old love it as much as I did my first time there. In my husband's family, Ocracoke has been a family hot spot to vacation. Although we do not get there every year as we did in the past, we go as often as time allows. We have taken friends of ours to the island on occasion, and every person who has gone there talks about it over & over, saying they loved the beaches, restaurants, and everything about it. Camp grounds are the way to go when staying in Ocracoke, it's an experience like no other!!! Travel Tip: bring insect repellent..... depending on the time of year, an Ocracoke mesquito can be a pest, but other than that NO COMPLAINTS AT ALL!!! Once you go there, guaranteed you'll want to return

Weirton Wv
“Peaceful beautiful place to be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2005

Let me put our visit in simple terms, We cant wait to go back there. We rented the same place we stayed last year back in Febuary. I like the little downtown area and the stores are great. The beaches are beautiful and we love playing in the water and just laying out in the warm sun. We take most of our own food because we are both celiacs and have a hard time eating out in restaurants. We did eat out a few times and the food was wonderful. We especially liked the little place we had breakfast at. The people were friendly there and at all the shops we visited. I recommend Okracoke to everyone. I am not sure if we will make it there in 06 because we want to take a long trip to the grand canyon. Myself I could do Okracoke every year. We will probably get back in 07, but for now we are looking forward to our trip there this July.
We are making a trip to Middletown Rhode Island the second week of May, but that is just to see my son who we havent seen for quite a while. He was stationed in Korea for seven years. If it werent for that we might have done a spring visit to Okracoke also.
I thank all the people and shops of Okracoke and we are looking forward to seeing you again. Thank you Dan

Been to Ocracoke? Share your experiences!