“Loved our relaxing week at The Cove” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Cove Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
The Cove Bed and Breakfast
21 Loop Road, P.O. Box 1300, Ocracoke, NC 27960-1300   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Ocracoke B&B and Inns
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Loved our relaxing week at The Cove”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

I can't add much that others have not already said! The Cove was a great spot for our 5 day trip to Ocracoke. We loved that there are bicycles available to use and we enjoyed just jumping on and riding around all the little backroads on the island. The wine reception was a fantastic treat to come back to every afternoon and most days, we took our wine, snacks and books to the adirondack chairs on the screened porch to enjoy the quiet. Erin and Chad were amazing hosts and we would love to return to The Cove!

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

195 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
mechanicsville,VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

The Cove B&B was our 1st B&B experience. Erin and Chad were exceptional hosts! We stayed in the Portsmouth Suite. We had the entire top floor on the Sunset side of the house. When we arrived, there was a bottle of champange waiting for us. A few of our favs about The Cove were the suite, the jaccuzi tub, breakfast (of course), the robes, the bikes, the views, and the wonderful, quaint village of Ocracoke that surrounded it all!
The restaurants in the area were fabulous. Especially Cafe Atlantic.
Jeff and I, without a doubt, will be returning to The Cove again, hopefully very soon.
I would definately reccommend this B&B to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway.
Thanks again to Erin and Chad for making our anniversary a very memorable one.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

For Phase 2 of our honeymoon my husband took us to The Cove. The whole honeymoon was a surprise to me and when we arrived at The Cove it was overwhelming and I found myself holding back tears. It was a beautiful setting Erin was there when we arrived and showed us around and told us where everything was and made us feel welcome and right at home. She took us upstairs, we stayed on the Sunrise side in the Pamlico Suite. The door is at the top of the steps set away from the other rooms and inside it was a taste of heaven. There's a front deck overlooking the street and front of the house with views of the sound and you could watch the parasailers above the tree line. Mosquitos were out with a vengance, but I think our deck must have been high enough they didn't bother us one bit up there. There was a beautiful sitting area, the bureaus and furniture was perfect, the four post bed was beautiful, there was a big closet, nice desk and with all this the room was still very spacious and comfortable. The bathroom was very nicely decorated there were towels just for the beach and robes for after relaxing in the big jacuzzi tub. They have the internet and it worked great -- most places say they have internet, then when you arrive they give you some bad excuse like it's down right now or it must be bogged down but they have a great set-up and we were able to get on and cruise and make our plans for each day. As far as the hosts Erin and Chad I'm not sure we could say enough. They went way above and beyond to make us feel comfortable, at home and... well... they spoiled us! Breakfast was great every morning, I'm a picky eater and some of the things I wouldn't ever have picked off a menu but I tried everything and ended up enjoying it all -- even the cheesy grits! I also may add that Erin went well out of her way to work with my husband to get this beautiful arrangement of flowers imported on to the island and in our room for me when we arrived. I love to go leisurely bike riding and this is surely the place to do it. We took the bikes out and were able to explore off "the beaten path" and found there are wonderful things to explore on the island. There's an outside shower at The Cove perfect for rinsing the sand off after a day on the beautiful beaches. In closing if you visit Ocracoke this is the place to stay, it has the best location, amenities, and value. We hope to stay there again sometime soon.

• Liked — The overall personal touch.
  • Disliked — We really tried to think of something but can't come up with anything.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

My husband and I just got home after a week's stay at The Cove Bed & Breakfast in Ocracoke, NC. Our stay there was absolutely beyond fantastic. Our hosts were the best, the breakfasts were elegant and delicious, the suite was luxurious and relaxing, and our surroundings were breathtaking. We especially loved being on the 3rd floor because we were above the trees and had a wonderful view of sunsets on the sound and the lighthouse. What a renewing and regenerating experience. I would highly recommend this B&B. We have already reserved our room for next year and can't wait to get there.

Stayed August 2008
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2008

I agree with other recent reviewers here that Erin and Chad, the innkeepers at The Cove, were excellent. As soon as we arrived, we were warmly welcomed by Chad. Erin shared great stories of life on the Outer Banks, and was happy to provide tips on where to go on Ocracoke Island. We have stayed at a couple of other B&Bs, but this is the first one where we saw a lot of friendly conversation between guests during breakfast. Getting to know the other guests enriched our vacation to a degree we did not anticipate beforehand. I credit Erin for this; she really created a relaxed environment where everyone was comfortable, and she sparked a lot of fun conversations with everyone.

We were very happy with our room. We stayed in the Pamlico suite. It was very roomy (with high, arched ceilings) and nicely appointed. Everything was clean and the furnishings were in great shape. I would not go so far as to call the furnishings/decor luxurious, but it did compare favorably to other ocean/beach properties at similar price points we had stayed at in the past.

We enjoyed the breakfasts each morning. Breakfast would typically start with a fruit cup, followed by a full plate breakfast. The pineapple casserole was a favorite! We often had enough to eat at breakfast that we could have a very light lunch and save our appetite and wallet for dinner.

We had a great vacation on Ocracoke, and much of this is due to our accomodations at The Cove. We'd happily return there for a future vacation, and recommend it to others, as well!

• Liked — The hosts, the view from the balcony, room size/quality
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

Our 25th wedding anniversary stay at The Cove started off on the wrong foot: we arrived very late ($175-a-night) because we missed the ferry. We didn't know that the ferry mentioned on the website is the *only one* to have a late schedule. We tried another ferry service (Swan Quarter), only to find that it stopped running at 4 p.m.--well before we arrived at the ferry landing at 8.
After a long, dark, scary ride up the West side of the Sound to cross over and then down to Hatteras, we finally boarded the 10 pm ferry and arrived at The Cove around midnight, and found the keys readily available (as Erin promised) and (warm) champagne waiting in our room (which we go to the refrigerator and "exchange for a cold bottle or cider if we chose").
The second floor Dolphin Room itself was rather small, but what I expected from the web photos: dominated by a large, comfortable queen-sized bed, ceiling fan, desk, T.V. (full satellite), WiFi, and matching fish-oriented decor. The bathroom with full tub and shower were also as expected, and very clean with lots of towels (including special dophin-illustrated "beach" towels for our use). The one-piece fiberglass tub/shower were clean, but a bit low-budget-motel in feel.
The building, from the outside, has a "cozy, cottage" look and architecture, but somewhat sparse, as if it were owned by someone who doesn't like grass or gardening (there is no landscaping or flowers--only gravel); however the rooms feel more like a Motel 6: clean, matching linens/artwork, with a very small T.V. at the far end (sitting on the dresser) of the room. I expected the decor, and it was, after all, the cheaper room, so I'm not complaining (except about the pouring a/c unit above the balcony door--more on that later).
My favorite aspect of The Cove was the delightful, cheery, and informative "native" hosts. I couldn't have asked for more from both Erin and Chad as they worked tirelessly to ensure our every comfort. But our personal balcony had no view, and an annoying, pouring stream of a/c window unit water, that fell on our heads every time we opened the door and it created a small stream we had to wade through on our private balcony. But two chairs and a small table were waiting, so we could sit outside in privacy (shielded by overgrown trees and oleander bushes). A small garden would have been nice to look at, but soaring seagulls aren't a bad trade-off.
The breakfast was tasty, but I agree with other reviewers: there were no options since Erin served us each the same plates of food. We could choose to leave food on our plates, but buffet-style would've been more appropriate, in my view, since I had to throw away the food on my plate that I could not eat.
Some guests complained about the mosquitoes; however I understand that rainy season has such natural problems. Even so, Erin provided lots of repellant for our use, and the entry-way's wrap-around screened porch (with ceiling fans) was perfect for lounging out of their pesky reach. No such luck on the personal balcony, however: It is not screened.
As a seasoned B&B denizen, I believe the hospitality was excellent (it is somewhat rare to find hosts that are "natives," and both friendly and knowledgeable), and Erin especially was kind and generous. Erin and Chad deserve a better place to host because the building itself had some problems (dripping a/c unit, small rooms and t.v.'s, no landscaping) that could be remedied with a little cash investment, and a handyman's/gardener's attention.
I probably won't return to The Cove because, for the money, I think I can do better elsewhere on the island--should we ever return to Ocracoke, which is highly unlikely. Next time, I think I'll skip the ferry ordeal (and costs) and find a place inland.

• Liked — Location and access to Ocracoke village; porch
  • Disliked — Small rooms/t.v., minor upkeep neglect
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

We stayed at the Cove for four nights in the Sandpiper room. It had a nice balcony that gave a beautiful view of the sound. Overall the room size was nice, but the amenities were old and outdated. We expected more for the price of the room. There was only a shower stall in the bathroom and it's too small for two people to get ready at the same time. The TV was also very small so it made it hard to see from the bed across the room. Overall the breakfast was a little redundant - eggs almost every day. I do commend the innkeeper's efforts - they were really trying to do a good job. Overall they were nice and friendly. The wine and cheese social in the afternoon is only for people who drink wine - there wasn't any other drinks available and so we missed out on meeting the other people and socializing with them. I think that other drinks should be made available for those who choose not to drink or can't because they are pregnant. Overall we would probably not stay there again only because after we left the Cove, we stayed at the Castle B & B on Silver Lake.

• Liked — View of the sound from the balcony
  • Disliked — The breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Cove Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!