“Excellent Hosts; Minimalist Rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Cove Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
The Cove Bed and Breakfast
You added The Cove Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
21 Loop Road, P.O. Box 1300, Ocracoke, NC 27960-1300   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Ocracoke B&B and Inns
Orlando, FL
“Excellent Hosts; Minimalist Rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

Our 25th wedding anniversary stay at The Cove started off on the wrong foot: we arrived very late ($175-a-night) because we missed the ferry. We didn't know that the ferry mentioned on the website is the *only one* to have a late schedule. We tried another ferry service (Swan Quarter), only to find that it stopped running at 4 p.m.--well before we arrived at the ferry landing at 8.
After a long, dark, scary ride up the West side of the Sound to cross over and then down to Hatteras, we finally boarded the 10 pm ferry and arrived at The Cove around midnight, and found the keys readily available (as Erin promised) and (warm) champagne waiting in our room (which we go to the refrigerator and "exchange for a cold bottle or cider if we chose").
The second floor Dolphin Room itself was rather small, but what I expected from the web photos: dominated by a large, comfortable queen-sized bed, ceiling fan, desk, T.V. (full satellite), WiFi, and matching fish-oriented decor. The bathroom with full tub and shower were also as expected, and very clean with lots of towels (including special dophin-illustrated "beach" towels for our use). The one-piece fiberglass tub/shower were clean, but a bit low-budget-motel in feel.
The building, from the outside, has a "cozy, cottage" look and architecture, but somewhat sparse, as if it were owned by someone who doesn't like grass or gardening (there is no landscaping or flowers--only gravel); however the rooms feel more like a Motel 6: clean, matching linens/artwork, with a very small T.V. at the far end (sitting on the dresser) of the room. I expected the decor, and it was, after all, the cheaper room, so I'm not complaining (except about the pouring a/c unit above the balcony door--more on that later).
My favorite aspect of The Cove was the delightful, cheery, and informative "native" hosts. I couldn't have asked for more from both Erin and Chad as they worked tirelessly to ensure our every comfort. But our personal balcony had no view, and an annoying, pouring stream of a/c window unit water, that fell on our heads every time we opened the door and it created a small stream we had to wade through on our private balcony. But two chairs and a small table were waiting, so we could sit outside in privacy (shielded by overgrown trees and oleander bushes). A small garden would have been nice to look at, but soaring seagulls aren't a bad trade-off.
The breakfast was tasty, but I agree with other reviewers: there were no options since Erin served us each the same plates of food. We could choose to leave food on our plates, but buffet-style would've been more appropriate, in my view, since I had to throw away the food on my plate that I could not eat.
Some guests complained about the mosquitoes; however I understand that rainy season has such natural problems. Even so, Erin provided lots of repellant for our use, and the entry-way's wrap-around screened porch (with ceiling fans) was perfect for lounging out of their pesky reach. No such luck on the personal balcony, however: It is not screened.
As a seasoned B&B denizen, I believe the hospitality was excellent (it is somewhat rare to find hosts that are "natives," and both friendly and knowledgeable), and Erin especially was kind and generous. Erin and Chad deserve a better place to host because the building itself had some problems (dripping a/c unit, small rooms and t.v.'s, no landscaping) that could be remedied with a little cash investment, and a handyman's/gardener's attention.
I probably won't return to The Cove because, for the money, I think I can do better elsewhere on the island--should we ever return to Ocracoke, which is highly unlikely. Next time, I think I'll skip the ferry ordeal (and costs) and find a place inland.

• Liked — Location and access to Ocracoke village; porch
  • Disliked — Small rooms/t.v., minor upkeep neglect
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

We stayed at the Cove for four nights in the Sandpiper room. It had a nice balcony that gave a beautiful view of the sound. Overall the room size was nice, but the amenities were old and outdated. We expected more for the price of the room. There was only a shower stall in the bathroom and it's too small for two people to get ready at the same time. The TV was also very small so it made it hard to see from the bed across the room. Overall the breakfast was a little redundant - eggs almost every day. I do commend the innkeeper's efforts - they were really trying to do a good job. Overall they were nice and friendly. The wine and cheese social in the afternoon is only for people who drink wine - there wasn't any other drinks available and so we missed out on meeting the other people and socializing with them. I think that other drinks should be made available for those who choose not to drink or can't because they are pregnant. Overall we would probably not stay there again only because after we left the Cove, we stayed at the Castle B & B on Silver Lake.

• Liked — View of the sound from the balcony
  • Disliked — The breakfast
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hampton, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

I don't normally like to write bad reviews, and this isn't a bad one per se, but rather an observation. My boyfriend and I were supposed to be staying at the Cove tonight, as were going to Ocracoke Island for a fishing excursion on Sunday. However, the boat captain called today to cancel the trip due to the tropical storm warning and rough seas that they are having now, which will only get worse as the storm approaches. He also stated that almost all of the boat charters on the island were being canceled. With the ferry being the only way on and off the island, I became concerned that even if we still went, we might not be able to leave in time to be back for work on Monday. I called the Cove to inform them that we would not be coming since the purpose of our trip has been canceled and the weather was going to be getting too bad to chance the trip. I was informed that even though the cancellation was due to impending bad weather, I would still be liable for the cost of the room. I was also told that unless the ferry was shut down, that was their policy. Had we gone and ferry had been shut down (which is usually what happens when storms go through that area), how would we have gotten off the island tomorrow? The impending storm isn't a guess, its fact, the National Weather Service has placed a tropical storm warning (not a watch, but a warning) on the Outer Banks. And since the charter boats were canceling as of today, wouldn't it have made sense to anticipate that the ferry would be shut down as well? This was not our fault. We both have jobs, and we would not have been able to go to work on Monday, which likely would have been problematic for both of us. There was a very distinct possibility that we would have been stuck on that island, with no cell phone service, no provisions for lodging beyond tonight, yet no consideration for any of this was made. I understand their cancellation policy, but this was Mother Nature ... it was not as if I called to cancel arbitrarily. I was even considering rescheduling the trip and making arrangements to stay at the Cove on a later weekend this summer, but now if we do go, we won't be staying at the Cove. Basically, I'm being charged for an Act of God.

North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

The Innkeepers were the best thing about The Cove B&B. They were cordial and very accommodating. They made you feel at home.
The facilities were a different story. For the amount of money paid for one of the suites, comparing it to other B&B's, it was way overpriced. The facilities need updating including a stained carpet, beaten linoleum floors, and outdated features in the bathroom. It could have also been cleaner. For example a piece of bedding fell behind the bed and when we picked it up it was very dirty. The fans showed accumulated dust and the shower curtain had black spots from the humidity, which could have been cleaned or replaced. The breakfast was limited in terms of variety. Even though we were asked about special needs to accommodate any food allergies, etc. what people like is as varied as guests that come in the door. A more varied menu was expected. Our host served us which is very nice and she was so pleasant...the problem was that quantities and limited items made the breakfast not to par with the kind of B&B price range we expected.
If we were to come back we would try a different place and take the Innkeepers there!

• Liked — The Innkeepers
  • Disliked — Price and facilties
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

Stayed in the Portsmouth Suite for our honeymoon. Had an absolutely fabulous time. Erin and Chad were awesome hosts and truly made our stay feel like home. Delicious breakfast each morning and wine tasting in the afternoons. We didn't want to leave, but are already looking forward to our return! Thanks so much again for your wonderful hospitality.

• Liked — The overall hospitality and experience.....just perfect.
  • Disliked — No negatives on accomodations, just wish the weather had cooperated for sunsets :-)
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

My husband and I traveled to the Outer Banks to celebrate our anniversary and immediately fell in love with Ocracoke Island and The Cove B & B! The inn is in a great location, away from the relative hustle and bustle of Silver Lake (the village harbor) but a short walk or bike ride from the lighthouse, shops, restaurants and nature trails. Erin and Chad were fabulous hosts. We will definitely be returning and would recommend The Cove to anyone traveling to the Outer Banks!

• Liked — the hosts and the location
  • Disliked — n/a
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
raleigh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2008

We escaped to Ocracoke Island for a 3 day weekend and to celebrate a birthday. The Cove was a sweet escape on the island - great location, right near the lighthouse and on a private 1 way street. The innkeepers are kind, the food average, and the accommodations well kept. The Cove has little touches that make this B&B unique - bicycles to use, towels and chairs for the beach, and private decks for each room. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and plan to go back to either the Cove or a full rental condo for a longer trip. Ocracoke is a must on the Outer Banks and The Cove is an excellent treat to enjoy the village and relax.

• Liked — bicycles to ride around the village
  • Disliked — pillows, linens
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Cove Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!