“Best restaurant on the island!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Durham, NC
“Best restaurant on the island!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Can't believe we've been eating here for 16 years, and this is my 1st review! This is hands down my fave restaurant on the island! Be sure to request a table on the porch - you'll love the romantic ambience and the fabulous food!

My go to dish used to be the lime cilantro scallops, until they changed to the cream and butter scallops, so I switched my loyalty. Now they offer both versions, which makes for a tough decision!

Love the lemon chiffon martini! Before we were allowed to purchase liquor drinks on the island, I used to get the Kir Royale, which is also quite yummy. Lovely wine selection as well. The German Riesling by the glass is wonderful.

For dessert, we tried the flourless chocolate torte, which was amazing! Kinda like a pie sized slice of creamy fudgy heaven!

My husband had the seafood platter, which was "sautéed" and was the most delicious "sautéed" I've ever eaten! Tasted like there might be a bit of soy sauce involved.

Get here early if possible - it's always packed, and gets more so as the night progresses!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Statesville, North Carolina
“Not as good as I remembered...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I honeymooned on Ocracoke in 2000, and our meal at Back Porch was definitely the best meal of that trip. Not only was the food delicious, but the ambience was cosy and the service was great too. I was so excited to eat there again in April, 2012, and I was unfortunately unimpressed this time around. Nothing was horrible, but nothing was really outstanding either. In my opinion, a bit pricey for what we got.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia
“Still good restaurant since 1999!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Since dining there for 1st time in 1999, we have dined there nearly every summer/fall at least once/twice per trip. It was probably the first real good restaurant until other restaurants finally started catching up. We will dine there again in 2013.

Visited September 2012
maryland
“A special Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

WE really enjoy our visits to Back Porch. We try to save a special night out to have a "grown-up" dinner here whenever we are in town for a few days. Food is excellent and the wine list is very nice. Service is top notch.

Visited August 2012
Key West, Florida
“A MUST FOR CRAB BEIGNETS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

a lovely spot with fresh seafood on the ever lovely ocracoke island. my husband had the seafood platter that was perfection, complete with a crabmeat beignet that he shared with me. the lump crabmeat dinner was divine and i did not want it to end. our waitress seemed a bit in the weeds, as the restaurant was packed on a friday evening, but she was personable, and as attentive as she could be, with the restaurant looking a bit understaffed. for the quality of the food and atmospere, it was no big deal, as one should never be in a hurry on the island. thank you back porch, see you again next year!!!

• Visited September 2012