“I'll be back!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blackbeard's Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Blackbeard's Lodge
You added Blackbeard's Lodge to your Saves list
111 Back Road, Ocracoke, NC 27960   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Central VA
“I'll be back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2006

My husband and I booked Blackbeard's Lodge last fall for Fourth of July weekend. We had no problem with making our reservation, and when we had to change the dates prior to the 30 day cancellation period, we had absolutely no issues.

Ann was WONDERFUL! She even hugged us when we left. It was a very friendly family atmosphere.

We booked BR1, a tiny room with a full bed that shares a balcony with BR2. I've stayed in smaller cruise ship cabins and it was incredibly comfortable, clean and quiet. Even with the hotel completely booked for the weekend, we had no issues at all! The bathroom was clean, water pressure was outstanding, plenty of storage space in the room. We were there four days and had no problems with it.

We were with a group of about 12 people, and we grilled out there, lounged in the lobby, and just enjoyed ourselves.

We'll definitely be back! The price was great, the room was clean and quiet, and the hostess was wonderful!

If you are looking for a chain hotel with absolutely NO PERSONALITY, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for clean, quiet, friendly, comfortable rooms, Blackbeards is a good place to go!

LOVED IT!

Thanks!

• Stayed July 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2006

We stayed here for 2 nights in early June. We had room 21 which had a double bed and a twin. The room was very small and the bathroom sink was actually in the room with the bathroom only having a tub and toliet. There was no phone or alarm clock, but there was a TV with cable and a desk. One attraction for me was the high speed internet that works great. There is a pool with nice deck chairs and the lobby area has nice sitting areas and a game room with pool table, a couple of video games, and a big screen TV. We paid $90 and you get a lot more at a Marriott, but it is convienent and we did not spend much time in the room. We would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2006
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2006

I have stayed at Blackbeard's in the past and found it "very average." The problem is that most "rentals" in Ocracoke are cottages and most are weekly...so people are stuck in a situation where they will pay $100-$200 a night for a mere room that has beds and a bath only and you can rent a house in Ocracoke for much less a night than that. Last fall we and some friends decided to start looking for a house to purchase as an investment and use it in the off-season. I booked a 3 night stay at Blackbeards for $100/night for a tiny room with a double and a twin with a tiny bath. I found out later that I COULD rent a cottage for 3 days if it is not rented within one week of the scheduled time, so I found a 2 BR, 1BA house with a living room, full kitchen and huge yard for $120/night. I rented this and quickly canceled my Blackbeard's reservation. I might have missed the cancellation time by a couple of hours and the lady told me I would have to pay $100 for the first night unless they re-rented it. When I was there I rode my bike by the hotel and saw the NO VACANCY sign for that night and they STILL took my money. Poor idea as we are now ocracoke homeowners and spend a lot of time there and I will take every opportunity to tell anyone about this. I tried to refuse payment through my credit card company and just gave up.... don't stay here. It is a "last resort" if you just have to have a trip to Ocracoke!!!!

• Stayed July 2003, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2006

Just returned from my vacation. BlackBeards Lodge on Orcacok Island was the best value for the buck. Rooms were very clean, Pool was crystal clear and the people were excellent. They have different rooms to meet your requirements. The young man running the counter was very helpful in giving me directions on where I could fish without a boat... what a blast I had with my light tackle spinning rig, fishing the ferry channel. Lots of croaker and a few sea trout mixed in. This was a great vaction for us. Should have started and ended my vaction on the Island. We will go back, but this time we will go straight to BlackBeards lodge and stay on the Island my entire vaction instead of bouncing all over Nc. Going this time of year was our best choice. Right before the season starts. The weather was very good over all, between 78-88 degrees, the beaches were wide open and all the locals were very nice.

• Stayed April 2006
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2006

My husband and I were hosting exchange students from UNC last year, and we took 8 of them to the Outerbanks and Okracoke in April. My parents and my brother, his wife and two little children were also with us, and we stayed at Bleakbeard's. I had never been to Blackbeard's but we saw it on the internet, and it seemed like a nice place. When I called, I spoke to a young woman called Julie, who was helping out; and she was so helpful, friendly and accommodating that we decided to go there instead of the Hatteras Harbor Motel.

We had a two-bedroom with living room suite with several beds (the North Apartment), which worked out great for us and the exchange students, and my family had a charming two-bedroom suite. The hotel IS older, and you may not have all the conveniences of a luxury motel or resort, but it does have everything you need for a great stay; it is clean and the staff was wonderful. It was just so much fun to stay there. There is a pool table, and a large gathering area in front of a warm and inviting fireplace; and there are a few cats - one of which is a friendly tabby that my small niece and nephew were playing with. We couldn't swim because it was still cool outside, but they do have a nice sized pool. Everyone LOVED it. The exchange students were from all over the world - Peru, Chile, Holland, Singapore etc., and all of us enjoyed the whole experience tremendously!!! Check out the Lodge's website : [-]

• Stayed April 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2006

Blackbeard's Lodge was very family friendly. When we arrived, we explained to Anne, the manager, that our two-year-old grandson had a terrible time sleeping the night before. She provided us with a stack of "Sweet Pickles" books and an isolated corner room. Breakfast was very nice, plus there was a wonderful children's corner for our Jack to quietly play.

The lodge was a step back in time. It was a delight to find a place like this in America and gave us a very pleasant feeling about Ocracoke.

• Stayed April 2006
Williamsburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2005

My family and I just got back from a short visit to Ocracoke (my Christmas gift from my wife!) and stayed at Blackbeard's Lodge....We had a wonderful time and after coming home and reading these reviews after my visit, I can't understand how these other people stayed at the same place. I found the entire staff to be helpful and professional, *especially* the manager Ann, who not only took the time to help us with our questions but chatted and filled us in on some island history as well. While it seems that some other guests writing these reviews missed the phones and alarm clocks and were bothered by the lack of new Holiday Inn type amenities in their rooms, I wonder why they bothered to stay at an older lodge to start with? Everything was very clean, parking was a breeze, breakfast (which was included in our room price!) was plentiful and good, and the older building and lack of the room phone made it a charming place to stay for us to stay. I can't wait to go back this summer! Thanks Ann to you and your staff for a wonderful experience! Perry Morse

• Stayed December 2005

Been to Blackbeard's Lodge? Share your experiences!