“Brilliant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blackbeard's Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Blackbeard's Lodge
You added Blackbeard's Lodge to your Saves list
111 Back Road, Ocracoke, NC 27960   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
London
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I would thoroughly reccommend this lodge anyone staying in Ocracoke. We stayed for two nights in July and the staff, location and facilities were fab. We stayed on a roadtrip of the Deep South and it was by far the nicest room we had in the price range - lovely and clean, bright and relaxing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Our stay was less than desirable. We usually stay elsewhere but the rooms were booked at that particular hotel for the dates we were traveling. I'll start with the positives. The reservation and check-in process went smoothly. The pool is very nice and wasn't crowded like you see at some hotels. There is a golf cart charging station on the property which was convenient for us. We love Ocracoke and the island was as charming as it always is. The front desk person was very nice and always available when I went out there. There were plenty of recycle areas in the room and outside which is nice. Now for the negatives. The driveway is awful. When we arrived it had just rained alot and the road was a bit flooded and you couldn't see that there is a HUGE hole in the driveway. We thought we had busted a tire or something when we unknowingly ran into the hole! A couple of well placed cones would have been appreciated to let guests know to avoid that section of driveway. The rest of the driveway was bumpy and unlevel as well so you had to enter it at an angle to avoid problems. This is in need of repair in my opinion. The room itself was smaller than I expected, but we managed. The tv reception was poor - but not something I hold against them because this is an island afterall and I didn't come to Ocracoke to watch tv. :) The floor was dirty when we arrived - had alot of sand from previous tenants. The shower seemed nice at first but the water kept going from hot to cold due to other people flushing toilets or running their sinks or showers. We found this to be an annoyance but again nothing that was too serious. The worst problem for us - and the reason we will never stay at Blackbeard's again - was the bed problem. One bed was very soft and comfortable - as you would expect. The other bed - I kid you not - was like sleeping on the floor. It was so hard that I didn't get a wink of sleep the entire night for the 3 nights I was there. I don't know what they were thinking putting such a horrible bed in there. My own bed in my home was purchased as a bed-in-a-box from Walmart.com for $99 and is 10000% more comfortable than the bed in this hotel. If you don't mind sleeping on a rock hard slab of concrete - because that's how bad it was - then by all means go for it. My last comment is on the air conditioner. It was a window unit and unfortunately it just didn't keep the room very cool even though it was only in the mid 80's during our stay. If it had been in the 90's or 100's I imagine that we would have been miserably hot. Overall we enjoyed our stay in Ocracoke as always, but will not be returning to Blackbeard's Lodge.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights in room G for 4th of July 2012. The hotel is a block off Rt 12, the "major" road on the island. It's an easy walk or bike ride to restaurants and shops (Ocracoke Coffee, a great morning place, is just a block away). The most popular swimming beach is about 2 miles away. Blackbeard has a small but nice pool and several grills if you want to cook out. There's also a game room with a pool table, fooseball and air hockey (each game requires a few quarters).

Our room, along with a few other rooms, was in a separate structure that appeared to be newer than the the main hotel. The room was exactly what we were looking for in Ocracoke-- clean and functional. It's a place to sleep, not a place to hang out. There was a small in-room fridge. The sink was in the sleeping part, not the bathroom. A few cons: The shower water temperature fluctuated from cold to hot quickly and frequently. The towels weren't new or fluffy, but they were usable. And the air conditioner is quite loud. A nice pro: Rocking chairs on our front porch made for a nice place to relax. Housekeeping did an excellent job each day cleaning the room, particularly with all the sand we dragged in from the beach.

The front desk wasn't particularly helpful, but never rude. As for extra charges, we didn't have any issues. Although when I asked for the bill as I checked out they said they'd email an invoice and I never received it. But my credit card charges matched up with the daily quoted rate.

Overall, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a decent place to sleep but not expecting a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We were thrilled to find this place on Ocracoke Island. The staff were all very friendly and accommodating. The front porch in front of our room was very relaxing and a nice place to hang out and meet some of the other visitors. The room is not fancy, but was nice enough for a beach trip. The best part for us was that they had dog-friendly rooms. We like to travel with our miniature dachshund and this was the perfect place. We never heard a peep from any other dogs on the property, but there were several people with dogs there.

The lodge is also located near several great restaurants and the dog-friendly Ocracoke Island Coffee Co. which is also on Back Street. It is easy to walk the village from the lodge. We never went to the pool since we had our dog with us, but there is a pool there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Frederick, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Location and staff were great, but rooms left much to be desired. Entire property was poorly maintained, floors and decks were borderline unsafe (sagging/sloping floors and splintering deck), finish of room was like an older rundown motel. Loud window unit AC, small tv with only a handful of viewable channels, dark moldy bathroom, and rippled (not securely laid) stained carpet in our room. There have to be better options on the island.

Room Tip: "Bridge" rooms require lots of stair climbing. Wouldn't be good for anyone with mobil...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Valdese, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed here 1 night 3 years ago and I fell in love with this quaint hotel hidden off the beaten path of highway 12. The rooms are as nice as The Griove Park Inn; clean, comfortable and quiet.
That one night led to a vacation here last year for 10 days and again this year. Chris, Helena and Casey are great, hospitable and informational.
The coffee smells great in the mornings. Bikes are available and we used them everyday to exercise.
I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

Room Tip: We like the back rooms. Less traffic.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Charles City, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Quirky is the right word. Every room has a different design, set-up, and decor. We stayed in two different rooms, by choice. The room we wanted was booked the first night but they moved our bags for us to the second room for the next night. Both were nice rooms, just hadn't been really modernized. They do have mini-fridges in them and the TV's weren't that great, but who goes on vacation to watch TV? The hotel is located off the main road, so little traffic, and you can't see the water from it either. The floors were warped, and you had to go outside on the second floor to get to the third, but that just made it more interesting. We stayed in 'Bridge 2' the first night, and if you're over six feet tall, this is not the room for you. You might hit your head! Beautiful wood paneling over the entire room, but only one small window in the corner. I did sleep well in there as I like it dark. The second night we stayed in 'Bridge 3'. It was a more secluded room with french doors, and a single person tub with jets in it. Much larger, roomier and brighter than the first. The staff was very nice and helpful. We rented bikes from them, $3 an hour or $15 for the day, best way to get around the village. Just make sure to bring your bug spray. It was only April and the mosquitos were out strong already. Overall, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Look at the description & photos of the rooms first. They are pretty accurate.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Blackbeard's Lodge? Share your experiences!