“Save your money” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Silver Lake Motel & Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
The Silver Lake Motel & Inn
You added The Silver Lake Motel & Inn to your Saves list
395 Irvin Garrish Highway, Ocracoke, NC 27960   |
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
“Save your money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2006

Don't expect anything and you won't be disappointed. No shampoo, no hairdryer, no coffee pot...but you do get a face soap. to take a shower with The towels are worn thin and the bedspreads are shabby. The hardwood floors would be beautiful, if someone would refinish them. The bed frame is a bunch of boards nailed together and the wall paper is peeling in the bathrooms. It was not the cheapest place on the beach, but it should have been.

• Stayed May 2006

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2005

My mother and I went to Ocracoke for a fun, girls getaway. We chose the Silver Lake Inn as it is in the center of everything and has always appeared to be a decent place to stay. The first warning is the "under new management" sign hanging outside the office. It looks like this place is due for a big time makeover. Being inside the room was an experience in itself. The smell just about knocked you over at the door. Its an older hotel and nothing about it feels clean. The odor is enough to make you want to leave, especially if you have any type of allergies. After checking everything out, we put our stuff down to go get a bite to eat since we were starving. After we returned, we had decided that we were not staying in this place for 3 nights. After speaking with a lady at the front desk, we were told that because we had been in the room for over an hour, that we had to pay for the room for that night (even though we had only really been in the room for about 15 minutes total). That didn't matter...that was their "policy." All in all, we went down the street, found another great room for the same great rate and had the most wonderful vacation. The sign outside the office of the Silver Lake Inn said "no pets allowed." ... I wouldn't want any of my dogs to stay in a place like that!!

• Stayed August 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2005

Went to the Silver Lake Inn hoping for a nice, affordable, romantic weekend. I agree with the past reviewer that a more current review was needed. The rooms were terrible, and not worth the $120 it cost. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls, the bathroom light fixture consisted of two bare lightbulbs, the window unit air conditioner was held in the wall with duct tape, and there were scuff marks all over the walls and floor. The bedside lamp shades were covered with the plastic wrapping from the store, which was hanging off the shades in some areas. The bed was hard and squeaked loudly when you sat on it. I went to speak to the manager, who told me she would give me a refund. I asked for ten minutes to find alternate lodging, (the island is only accessible by ferry) and she told me she could not wait for me to find something that "met my standards." Note that the rooms do not have phones, just a hole in the wall where the jack should be. When I expressed concern about this, she said that "obviously I had not stayed in Ocracoke before." I have, at the Pony Island Inn, which I recommend. I then asked for a different room, hoping that our first room was just bad. She showed me to another room, where the TV was broken and there was a pubic hair on my pillow. We decided to take the next ferry home, and asked for a refund, which they did provide. Overall, I believe that the hotel has potential. It is in a great location, and the staff does seem willing to accomodate to a point. I will not be back there, however.

• Stayed July 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2005

The Silver Lake Inn is under new management. The staff is very nice but at the time I stayed (May 2005) there was alot of fixin' up going on there. (ie. Painting, resurfacing floors, etc). The Silver Lake is a two story wood frame building with a Lanai or porch in front of each room. I'm not sure how many rooms are in the Inn but I do know that the walls are paper thin. You can hear your neighbors talking at night and can actually understand what they're talking about. You can even hear them get up and go to the bathroom and if you can hear all this..... yes, you can imagine what else you'll hear.
It's an older building and the air conditioning, which I really didn't need, is a window mounted unit that doesn't work that well in cooling the room to my standards. The beds are firm and squeaky. If you decide to open the windows and enjoy the cool island air, keep in mind that the Jolly Roger stays open fairly late at night and is located just across the street. It's an outside seating resturant on the harbor that sometimes has live bands but usually during the daylight hours but keep in mind it can be annoying if you're trying to get some sleep after a long day at the beach or a long ferry trip from Cedar Island.
Overall, I would have to say the Silver Lake has great potential but there are other Inn's located within walking distance. As for me, I will try some of the others on my next trip so as to make a comparison. The big downfall at the Silver Lake is one, management experience and two, the paper thin walls. I chose the Siver Lake based on the reviews I read here but realize that a more current review was needed. Would I stay there again? Absolutely !! Because, the staff is wonderful and trying so hard to please their customers.

• Stayed May 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2005

Brought the two kids and another couple with us for a summer vacation in August of 2004. Proposed to my wife on the beach the day after Hurrican Alex. Had an unbelievable time on the island and the hotel is terrific. Can't be a nicer bunch of employees on the island. My fiance lost a diamond earing on the island somewhere, had no idea where. We informed the hotel receptionist upon being evacuated. On our drive back to Kansas City the hotel called our cell phone to tell us that they have found an earing in our room while doing laundry. They mailed it too us and we received it in perfect condition. Had a beautiful room overlooking the harbor, sunset to die for from the hammock on the deck and a hot tub to top it all off. Can't wait to return. I have made two trips to the island and will be making many more and will be staying in the same place.

• Stayed August 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2004

We were so please with our stay at Silver Lake. I cannot name all of the people who were so helpful to us. I so hope that our next time there, which is in two days, will be as wonderful. Everyone was so VERY nice to our baby and the fact that we were right next to the Slushy Stand, where we rented our bikes was so convenient. Thank you Silver Lake.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2004

My daughter, and her family and myself went to Ocracoke last Aug 2003. We stayed for a week. My son Scott funded most of our trip. It was great. I plan on moving down there, as soon as I have enough money to by a house. Ocracoke is a great place, to retire.

Been to The Silver Lake Motel & Inn? Share your experiences!