“Great Room, Somewhat Disappointing Customer Service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Silver Lake Motel & Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
The Silver Lake Motel & Inn
You added The Silver Lake Motel & Inn to your Saves list
395 Irvin Garrish Highway, Ocracoke, NC 27960   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Vanceboro, NC
“Great Room, Somewhat Disappointing Customer Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We rented room/suite 204 for two nights (Sat. and Sun) for our anniversary. The room was very clean and well furnished...if you see reviews here that say otherwise, they are not true. We were both VERY happy with the room itself.
We had two experiences with the customer service. Booking was very easy and pleasant. A lady even called me a few days prior to our stay to let me know that although they were officially closing for the season on Sunday, there would be no problem with us checking out as planned on Monday morning. She just didn't want us to be surprised that no other people were there, etc. That was very nice of her and much appreciated.
Our second experience was upsetting. We checked in at 3 on Saturday and stayed in that evening. When we got moving on Sunday morning, we realized that our car battery was too low on charge to start our car. I always pack jumper cables for such an emergency so I went to the front office to ask if I might be able to get a jump from one of their vehicles. The bearded man (I didn't get his name) on duty was standing in the doorway to the "staff area" and around the corner, out of my view was someone he was talking with (a female voice). I told him our situation and asked for a jump. His response was insulting. He sighed and rolled his head and eyes around to the unseen female with whom he was talking. Then looking back at me he stepped forward and said with a shrug, "We're all on bikes" . He then mentioned "Beach Tow", a towing service, but did not offer to help me find the number. Finally, he casually gazed across the street to the fish market and suggested maybe I could find a jump over there. My wife and I both saw the lady who told me she was the one who called to tell me about the Motel closing drive up the previous afternoon in a blue four-door Jeep Wrangler. I'm fairly certain she was the one the bearded man was talking to, because that same Jeep was parked out front when I went in for help.
I totally get it if this guy thought I was some random tourist asking for a jump. But we were his guests. And although he or anyone in charge of the Silver Lake Motel and Inn were under no obligation to provide me the service of helping me jump my vehicle, it would have been a nice thing to do. It would have been the RIGHT thing to do. Instead, I was treated like an unwanted problem and lied to.
Great room! My wife and I are actually bummed that our experience will prevent us from ever staying there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
OcracokeBeachBum, Rental Manager at Ocracoke Island Realty at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the lack of assistance provided to you and your wife and the manner in which you were treated. We most certainly do not condone this type of service, and strive to assist our guests to the best of our potential. At the very least we could have helped you with the phone number to beach towing. This situation will be addressed and we do hope that you will give us another opportunity to host your family here on Ocracoke. We appreciate your business, and hope to see you again soon! Thank you for choosing the Silver Lake Motel and Inn for your Ocracoke vacation.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lancaster, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed for the 1st Pirate Jamboree and a romantic get away! We loved our stay, we stayed in room 208, the hammock outside our room had a view of the lighthouse and all the pirate activities happening! We look forward to coming back and staying again, loved the location, we walked everywhere, and the locals were great! Highly recommend room 208 if traveling with kids, kitchen was great!

• Stayed October 2013
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
The Pirate Jamboree is always so much fun! I am happy to hear you enjoyed it. Walking everywhere, or riding a bike, is the best way to get around on Ocracoke, I agree. It was very nice of you to specify which room you stayed in as we always get comments and inquiries when a reviewer does mention the exact room...so thank you. Please do come back, anytime.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We have always wondered what this motel is like after 30 years trying other accommodations we finally tried the Silver Lake Motel and Inn. It is clean and offers a continental breakfast. There is a small refrigerator in our small room. The Motel is closer to the heart of the village and across the street from the water but it difficult to see the water for the trees. The prices are higher than other accommodations. We liked the Silver Lake Motel and Inn but did not think the rates match the value. We may be more price-conscious than others. Housekeeping missed our room once during our three day stay. Customer service was lacking at the Silver Lake but few places on Ocracoke are known for great customer service. It is not that kind of island. Tourists are often endured.

Room Tip: The bigger suites have very nice water views but the smaller motel rooms are lacking. Window AC uni...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
I always enjoy hearing from long time visitors to Ocracoke and thank you for giving our inn a try. Please consider staying with us again when you return to the island.
Goldsboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Loved the suite we stayed in...three balconies, two with hammocks overlooking the harbor-gorgeous views. We had two baths and a full kitchen It was clean, but in need of some repairs, and the mattresses/boxsprings were less than desirable--could not move with out waking every one in ear shot!( I understand they are renovating/updating all of the rooms so hopefully that will take care of that problem!) However, the staff was great, as were the breakfasts, and the location was just perfect..next door to OINCs BBQ, around the corner from the bike rental/ice cream shop, and across the road from the Jolly Roger restaurant and bar! We went just after peak season so it wasn't too noisy at night. Great weekend... would stay here again..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
We appreciate every review we get here so thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. We are in a perfect location...it just does not get much better here on Ocracoke.

We are planning on some more renovations and refurbishments this winter including mattresses in many rooms so the next time you come here it will hopefully not be an issue.

It sounds like you took advantage of some of our favorite places here and you did pick a wonderful time to stay. Please do come back and thank you again.
Hertford, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My wife and I made our first visit to Ocracoke for our 10th anniversary the weekend of 9/20-9/22. We booked room 204 at the Inn. We were told that it was the most recently updated room and it showed. The appliances were all new and so was the furniture. The room had a balcony with a hammock over looking the harbor. We were able to check in early and the women at the counter(wish I could remember her name) was very friendly and personable. The Silver Lake Inn is in a perfect spot. We rented bikes but you can easily walk just about anywhere from this location. The continental breakfast was perfect for starting off our day. We look forward to making Ocracoke our anniversary destination, and the Silver Lake Inn will be the place we stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
obxjm, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
A belated "Happy Anniversary" to you and a big Thank You for your kind review of Silver Lake Motel and Inn. We always like to hear when our guests have had a good stay with us and that they enjoyed their time on Ocracoke. You did pick a very nice room and the view is quite wonderful from room 204. We do hope you will come back to the Silver Lake Motel and Inn often and thank you again for sharing your comments here.
Terrytown, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a new hotel/inn to stay in while we were on Ocracoke Island for a few days. Because we travel with a large golden retriever it had to be pet friendly. We decided to try The Silver Lake Motel and Inn. The suite (a surprise) was large and roomy with two bedrooms, kitchenette, living room, and bath. It also had a large front deck/patio with chairs and a hammock. We had asked for two beds and were not expecting two bedrooms. The rooms were clean and well furnished. The beds were comfortable, but we were not expecting two rooms. We had asked for two beds. Our golden sometimes likes to sleep on one, but here she preferred the cool floor. What a lovely surprise. She did sleep in the extra room while were watched TV and then joined us in our room for the night. The kitchen appliances worked well as did the TV once we figured it out. (Our fault, not the hotels) The views on the patio were stunning and I enjoyed watching the sunsets from our room (In the hammock, of course!). We did not stay for breakfast since one of our other favorite places is Ocracoke Coffee Company and we wanted to enjoy this as well. The staff running the inn were extremely friendly and helped us with any questions we might have had. We highly recommend this hotel especially if traveling with a dog.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
obxjm, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
I will make sure our staff sees this and truly appreciate your comments. It is always rewarding to hear from our guests that they have enjoyed their time here at the Silver Lake Motel and Inn. Also glad to hear that your four legged family member found the room comfortable too!

Thank you for your visit and please come back again.
East Greenville, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My family of four plus our small dog stayed here Aug 15, 16th.
We don't have many choices when traveling with the dog. So it's always nerve wracking to check into a pet room.

But we were happy.
It was clean. It had what we needed. (Maybe a microwave in the room would top it off, actually!)
It's nothing fancy. But we can't afford fancy. So for the price, this was good.
The beds were comfy. We all slept fine.
I did a bug check as I always do these days and found nothing. So that's good!
The only bugs were the millions of mosquitoes outside. But that's island life. Lol.

It was a GREAT location. Right in the heart of the action. Right across from the Jolly Roger restaurant/pub, which we love.
The sunset from there is breathtaking, too. (Unfortunately it was cloudy these days.)

The staff were friendly from my first call to check out. They were helpful and smiling.

The coolest part of the stay was the continental breakfast in the morning.
I've personally never seen one quite like this! It had everything "continental-ish" you could think of! I would call it a "continental buffet".
We're used to a plate of small muffins and little pints of orange juice.
Well, this was like a smorgasboard!!
There were muffins, pastries, a few different juices, coffee, pints of milk, fruit, bagels, a toaster, butter, cream cheese, a variety of mini cereals.......probably more I'm forgetting.
I don't like to wake early, but I did for this!!
We loved the breakfast!!
Great job with that!
And there was a microwave there too, so if we really needed it, we could have used that.

We would stay here again. No problems. No complaints. I hope we DO come again.
Just remember, it's nothing fancy. It's your standard motel room. Some people are so picky about not having a flat screen TV or the right colored walls....you're in Ocracoke! Who cares!
(There is a TV, and cable, fyi!) We didn't really try the wi-fi, so I can't say how that was. I think the kids tried it and it worked. You ask for the password at the office.

Hope to be back! :-)

• Stayed August 2013
obxjm, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
"...we were happy." That is what we like to hear. You are right, we are not fancy here but our beds are comfortable, the rooms are clean and the location is the best. I especially like it that you mentioned our friendly and helpful staff. Thank you.

We hope you are able to come back again...soon and as often as possible.

Been to The Silver Lake Motel & Inn? Share your experiences!