“I would have loved a ramp to the second story” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Silver Lake Motel & Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
The Silver Lake Motel & Inn
You added The Silver Lake Motel & Inn to your Saves list
395 Irvin Garrish Highway, Ocracoke, NC   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Ontario
“I would have loved a ramp to the second story”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We got off the ferry and had booked one night at this hotel. It is definitely rustic, but all in all suited us fine for the one night. The big downfall was having to hike everything up the rickety wooden stairs to the second story. There was a ramp on the main story from the parking lot. If you have any larger items it could definitely be an issue getting them to your room if you are on the second floor. They give you a continental breakfast in the office starting at 8 AM, but we were gone by 7:30 AM so I cannot comment on the adequacy of that.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of stuff to take to your room, ask for the main floor. They do accept pets on the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
We appreciate the tip you gave abut the first floor rooms and the pet friendly information too. Thanks for sharing that. You are right; Silver Lake Motel and Inn is not fancy...however we do feel we provide a clean room at a fair price in a great location on Ocracoke. Sorry you missed the breakfast but hopefully you will come back and be able to stay a little longer next time. Thanks for staying with us and for your review here.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Huntersville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

I was only staying on the island one night, after a friend's wedding. When I arrived I was unable to check in due to the time, so I arranged for a late check in ( your key gets left in an envelope in a maibox on the porch). Returning from the wedding around 1130 pm I collected my key & turned in for the night. The toilet in my room had gunk on the seat from not being wiped well after being cleaned. Then you had to hold down the handle until the toilet flushed all the way. Going to bed the sheets had a strange oder. When I woke in the morning I noticed several bites that I initially thought were mosquitoe bites, as they looked the same. As I was flying out that am, I opted to wait until the comfort of my own home to shower. When I got home I noticed even more bites all across my side that itched terribly. Doing some research on-line, they fit the pattern & description of bed-bug bites to a t. I sent an email to the Inn informing them of the issue, but after 5 days have yet to get any kind of response. At $100 a night I expected better treatment than this. Fortunately no bugs tagged a ride home with me, but someone else might not be so lucky. Be warned, do not stay here

Stayed September 2012
oldobxer, Rental Manager Ocracoke Island Realty at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
We take this very seriously and any suspected problems are immediately investigated. The property has been checked and does not have bed bugs. Silver Lake is also on monthly pest control service so all rooms and suites are checked routinely. The local licensed pest control professionals have reported that many people are very sensitive to other biting insects common to coastal communities and this may be what you experienced. We're sorry you had a problem, but we can assure you it is not bed bugs.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

Upon arriving to ocracoke island, my boyfriend and I decided to go with the silver lake inn based on the location and it was the first place we saw after getting off the ferry. We walked into the offices at 8:08 and were greeted, coldly, by the female manager. She appeared to be annoyed with us, was not welcoming, and when my boyfriend tried to smooth it over by sympathizing with the paperwork she was doing she responded by saying "we're actually closed, I forgot to flip the sign." okay. Really pretty unpleasant for having just arrived on ocracoke and it was my first time on the island. But we shrugged it off, and went ahead to our room. Overall the rooms aren't that bad, just smaller than I would've expected and kind of dingy. The tv had terrible reception, but again, we weren't there to watch tv so we let it slide. I saw a cockroach on our last night there, didn't help my overall opinion. We decided to look for a new hotel for our last night on the island and liked the charm of harbor view, a little bit more expensive than silver lake but took our chances. Rooms were much much nicer! Coffee machine in our room, unlike silver lake. High quality shampoo AND conditioner( not a two in one cheapo brand) cleaner, bigger, and the tv not only got reception but was flat screen and came in very clear. For $10 more a night go with this place! The front desk was also very friendly.
Just wanted to add that the men we spoke with at silver lake were very pleasant, maybe female manager could use some training.

• Stayed September 2012
oldobxer, Rental Manager for Ocracoke Island Realty at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments - of course we would like nothing but positive reviews, but without critcism we cannot improve. Please accept my apologies for the way you were greeted upon your arrival - we all strive to provide the best possible customer service, and obviously we fell short of the mark here. The Silver Lake does have a lovely location and view and we are working hard to upgrade the facility, but we do have some more work ahead of us. We only have one chance to provide a first impression, but I do hope you will give us another try the next time you are on the Island - I know we can improve. Coffee makers for each room are on the wish list for 2013, and we'll look into upgrading the shampoo and conditioners along with our other plans! We hope you choose to visit us again.
Morehead City, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Silver Lake Inn quickly became our favorite place to stay on Ocracoke. We first stayed there three years ago, and have stayed there every trip since then! My husband and I have fallen in love with the "Sunset Suite", with the private balconies and the old bar inside the room. Our favorite thing to do is sit on the porch and watch the island "wake up" in the morning. The rustic feel of the hotel is perfect with the atmosphere of the island. You can't help but relax and have a good time at this location! The only complaint I have is that I can't live in the room year round! We are so glad that we met Patty and get to stay here every year for our anniversary - we couldn't ask for anything better. Thank you for a wonderful vacation!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Wow...we really liked reading your review. Thank you so much for letting others know that you had a good stay at the Silver Lake Motel and Inn. And a belated happy anniversary too. I feel the same way you do about the early morning; so peaceful and quiet and beautiful. It gets my days off to a good start. See you next year and thanks again.
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

For us, this was perfect for a weekend away. I have been ill and knew I wouldn't be able to go out much, so we got a room with a private front-facing porch. In fact, our room used to be the bar, they said, and it had a two-story porch, sort of a crow's nest up top. We got takeout and sat on the porch in the evenings listening to music from the bar across the street and watching the water, the sunset, the boats, the paddleboarders, and people going by on bikes. We were even able to dance up there on our porch by ourselves! It's a great place to watch everything going on in Ocracoke. I think most of the motel porches are shared (one long landing) and most of the inn porches private, from what I could see. It's probably not the quietest place in town, but there wasn't any significant noise by ten or so. The downsides were what we had seen in previous reviews- somewhat uncomfortable beds and some bugs (I think four big spiders and a cockroach). I always feel like that comes with the climate and the time of year, but I know some people would mind. Breakfast was simple but just fine- pastries, fruit, oatmeal packets, cereal, juice, coffee. The price for the stay seemed to be low compared to what looked like comparable places, according to reviews and pictures. My husband got good advice from the front desk staff on ferries, food, and the beach. We really enjoyed the weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
It is always rewarding to hear when one of our guests relay that they had a good stay with us. Thank you for sharing your comments here on Trip Advisor. September is truly one of the loveliest times to be on Ocracoke Island; the rates drop some, less people and great weather. We will check out the bedding issue you mentioned although the mattresses were replaced this year. As for the spiders...I don't like them either but island life dictates that you have to put up with them to a certain extent and thank you for your understanding about that. Glad you enjoyed the views and the music too! Please come back when you can
Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We were passing thru Ocracoke on our way home from Charleston and stayed at the Silver Lake Motel for 2 nights. It was everything we thought it would be.
This isn't the Marriott, so if you are looking for luxury, move on. But if you are looking for a great island location, with clean, comfortable rooms at a good price, this is the place for you.
The view of Silver Lake was wonderful. Breakfast was adequate, and the staff was very nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thanks for staying at the Silver Lake Motel and Inn. Your review pretty much sums up our place...we are not a luxury hotel and don't claim to be. Hopefully our guests will agree that our rooms are clean and comfortable and priced right. And as for location. it is the best, you are right again! If you get a chance to head back our way please consider staying with us again.
New Bedford, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Having seen lots of reviews about this place and responses to the bad reviews about how the motel is on the mend I thought I'd give it a try but I regret having done so. The breakfast was OK. The service was good. But that first night's sleep was rough. I can sleep pretty well anywhere, having been in hostiles in Brazil and western Europe, but these mattresses (which I thought had been replaced according to previous responses to reviews) were creaky and stiff... i.e. after the nuclear holocaust, the only thing left will be Twinkies, cockroaches, and these mattresses. I can't get out of my head how rock solid the beds were. I couldn't sleep on my side at all. The rooms in the motel are also very grungy, musty and dated, and not in a quirky beach town sort of way, more like a cabin from the 50's. My advice would be to spend the extra money and go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
oldobxer, Rental Manager Ocracoke Island Realty at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We replaced many of the old mattresses in the Inn this spring, approximately 25 or so, as they were the most in need, and will certainly check on the ones in the Motel this winter. Our understanding was that these had been replaced within the last few years. We also hope to upgrade the bedding and decor this winter as well. We appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts here and will keep striving to improve our accomodations each year. Thank you.

Been to The Silver Lake Motel & Inn? Share your experiences!