“Like coming home to Grandmas for the last 23 years” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crews Inn B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Crews Inn B&B
You added Crews Inn B&B to your Saves list
460 Back Rd., Ocracoke, NC   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Ocracoke B&B and Inns
Virginia Beach
“Like coming home to Grandmas for the last 23 years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

The place has not changed a bit. Same charm. Same furnitue same skewky floors. The island has moved on, mutch to my dislike. They now bus in tourists by the busload. That is so wrong on so many levels. This is a small barrier island not kitty halk .BUT the Crews Inn is on a back rd. set back in the trees. It is quiet peasful and devoide of the tundering heard. It is not the Hilton, its just grandmas. Breakfast is basic but incredibly tasty. No tv, radio or flat screen in your room. They now have WiFi. Bring all your own personal needs and soap. The people I have met over the years have been interesting and down to earth. I mean 5 rooms in a house that was built in 1904. How uppity can you get. Over the years I have taken a couple of wives and a few girlfriends to stay there. Very romantic. I was down this April and going back next month. Mid week is the best. If you have a choice come in using the Swann Quarter Ferry rout. Kinda coming in the back door. Ferry wait can be long coming in through Hatteras. Remember the garbage trucks have to be on the same ferry some times first come first on. Lets be honest I live in Virginia Beach half mile from the ocean front with a ton of tourist. This is the place I go to get away. This place some people book a year in advance. Do not assume you can get one of the 5 rooms on the dates you want it. Remember you get what you pay for. They have the best rates on the island and have not change much in the 23 years I have called it Grandmas.

Room Tip: Call right away to see if they can event take you. Dannys room. $65 a night with breakfast.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Portsmouth, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

We really loved our stay at the Crews Inn. It was a different experience from other B&Bs we've stayed in, but that was definitely part of its charm. Unlike other B&Bs where innkeepers talk your ear off about everything, this place was much more laid back. There was a sign when we arrived, directing us to our room, which was very clear and easy to understand. We stayed in the Captain's Quarters on the top floor and we would stay here again in a heartbeat. The room is gorgeous and gave us a real feel for the Ocracoke culture. It was March, so the weather wasn't too hot, but it looked like they had air conditioning. The room also had plenty of windows and a door to a private deck with its own entrance, so there was plenty of air in the room. We loved the privacy of the deck and being able to come and go as we pleased. We ran into one of the innkeepers as we were leaving and he was helpful with local information. Our only suggestion would be to purchase a couple of bikes for guests to use during their stay, so that we didn't have to go out in search of rentals. The restaurants and activites that were recommended were very good. The breakfast was also less formal than other B&B's, but still delicious. We had muffins and cereal the first morning and then the innkeeper made us omelettes the second morning. The muffins were clearly homemade and they were delicious. The omelette was excellent.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Lamar, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

The Crews Inn gives you a unique view of Ocracoke Island, NC......What is there to not love about Ocracoke. The ferry rides to and from Ocracoke are a wonderful, relaxing way to travel. We rode every one of them. The breakfasts were not much to speak of, but the fig muffins one morning were delicious and made from local figs. Yum! Yum! We each had one of the main floor rooms with a private bath and we loved staying there. Be prepared for no keys, no tv, no radio, etc., but the duck brigade is delightful, beaches are marvelous and the Inn is delightful. We also enjoyed the bicycle rides around the island. Think....character and originality!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We stayed in December 2011 in the bottom unit. Suzanna (owner) was very friendly and helpful. The place had a very warming electric fireplace with a very comfortable bed. Not a modern place, but felt "at home" with a couch and tv, with a kitchen to cook if you wanted to.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

I love the Crews Inn, it's such a beautiful old house on such a wonderful island! I've stayed at the Crews Inn twice. Once with a friend and once with my husband (then boyfriend). The first trip, we stayed in the Captain's Quarters, which is the attic. It was pretty spacious but my biggest thing was that there were HUGE spiders up there & my friend spent most of our trip listening to me scream in terror & killing spiders. I wouldn't even sleep under the covers because I was terrified a spider would be in the sheets. However, it had it's own bathroom and separate entrance, which was nice since we came home late a lot. It also had seperate ait conditioning which was nice since I like it frosty!
The second time we stayed, we stayed in a regular room downstairs & there were no spiders! The room was also pretty spacious and had its own bathroom (there are only 2 rooms that have a private bathroom), it was close to everything & we walked everywhere! The old lady that runs it was super sweet and very accomadating.
I would definitely stay here again, very quaint and peaceful, can't beat it for the price!

Room Tip: Choose the master bedroom because it is downstairs and has its own bathroom!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Mixed feelings about this one.

On arrival there was just a notice on the board telling us where our room was and a book in the room itself with more instructions. I didn’t mind this at all as everything was clear and precise.

It was, however, one of the hottest weekends of the year so far when we arrived and although all the windows were open and a fan running in our room, the air conditioning was not on and the room was extremely hot and stifling. We closed all the windows, lowered the blinds and turned on the air conditioning immediately, but it was many more hours before the room was even comfortable in temperature.

As to the room itself (The Captains Quarters) – unlike one of the other reviewers I felt the pictures on the website were most flattering, but everything was clean so not too much to complain about I suppose (other than the temperature!!). The little deck outside the room and private entrance were particularly nice.

As others have noted there are no room keys and you have to leave your room unlocked when leaving, which is a little unnerving, although all our belongings were safe tor the duration of our trip.

Breakfast was coffee, juice, homemade granola (very nice) and homemade bread, with a few additional extras, although if everyone came down at once as they did on our last day it made the kitchen area rather crowded and somewhat chaotic.

I'd probably sum the place up by saying if you don't mind things being a little rough and ready you'll be fine here, and the prices are probably the lowest in Ocracoke as far as I could tell - so you can't really complain at that!

If you're visiting in Summer bring your mosquito repellant!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Greenville, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

When I arrived there was no one there to greet us. My name was on a card tacked to a cork board to welcome us. I didn't see anyone until the next morning. Breakfast was unedible. No TV. Full size bed when I'm used to a king. Window unit A/C that rattled the window pane all night. Noisy guests upstairs that came in in the middle of the night banging around.

All around terrible stay.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Crews Inn B&B? Share your experiences!